Ringo Starr

You can never have enough Ringo stuff.

He's so genuinely modest and its funny how he diffuses all the compliments by stating simple facts as to why he played a particular groove- in many cases it was either easiest to do it that way or because he was a lefty on a right kit.

Ringo is the prototype for playing exactly what the song requires. Amazing.

Pete

I was never a Beatles fan, but I find Ringo's drumming gorgeous.

It's weird how that happens.. i HATE pink floyd.. but i am so in love with nick mason... just everything in it's place and perfect.. lets not show off.. :)

I can see that Icetech. Not an alien notion to me. I dont hate Floyd, used to love them, but dont really want to listen to their music anymore. Kinda same thing happened with Rush, which was my everything from age 12-18. Nick is perfection with Floyd.

I can see that Icetech. Not an alien notion to me. I dont hate Floyd, used to love them, but dont really want to listen to their music anymore. Kinda same thing happened with Rush, which was my everything from age 12-18. Nick is perfection with Floyd.

I think for most people, music is a cycle. I went to Metal and Hair Band concerts in the 1980s (geez, how many black concert tee-shirt can one kid OWN?), Rock, Alt, Ska and in the 1990s and whatever my daughter wanted to see since then. And always ALWAYS Jazz with some funk mixed in for good measure.

Still, I confess that my first love was the Beatles.
Pete

Who would imagine that anyone could become that famous as a drummer without being able to do certain things that most of us take for granted!

Why did Ringo win out over Pete Best? My understanding was Pete had some attitude, and George Martin didn't think he could play well in the studio. So it was Ringo's attitude and willingness to take some direction (tone it down) that gave him the best drumming gig in the world. Not his paradiddles.

I've read many accounts of the switch from Pete to Ringo and I don't mind if anyone wants to contribute corrective variations :)

Ringo was a great role model.

I didn't actually *get* him when I was growing up. Later, as an adult drummer, I *got* it.

At the end of the day, it's about the music, not about the rudiments. Most players overplay, constantly breaking the groove. Ringo grooved like nobody's business.

He was a very *musical* player, and he absolutely played for what the song needed. All the time. And then, he played meticulously live.

Every student of drumming should spend a little time getting inside Ringo's drumming. Much love and respect.

yeah i think some things you burn out on.. I saw rush twice live.. LOVE them always have.. but i can't think of the last time i thought.. i want to listen to some rush.. but they don't upset me if they come on :)

Zeppelin though.. Never in my life do i want to ever hear LZ again.. just so over the top burned out..

Why did Ringo win out over Pete Best?

Sources have given two primary reasons for the switch to Ringo from Pete Best.

1 is that Ringo just kept better time

2 is that Paul thought that Pete was better looking than he

I'm sure I have all those Beatles fanboy books I bought in the late 70s and early 80s somewhere around here to site said sources <g>.

Pete

At the core...I think this serves as a great reminder that as it pertains to the arts there really is no "right" or "wrong" way. It either "works" or it doesn't "work". Ringo's playing WORKS for the Beatles. Just like Neil's playing WORKS for Rush. No right or wrong in that.

The best part of Ringo's playing for me was how much fun it looked like he was having while he played (well up until that White Album business lol). That big grin and those sloshing hats... Who wouldn't want to be a drummer?

yeah i think some things you burn out on.. I saw rush twice live.. LOVE them always have.. but i can't think of the last time i thought.. i want to listen to some rush.. but they don't upset me if they come on :)

Zeppelin though.. Never in my life do i want to ever hear LZ again.. just so over the top burned out..

I've seen Rush 9 times, and I never get tired of em because their music changed so much over the years it's like getting a new band every few albums.

I still love Zep, but as a 40 year bar band in Iowa vet, I never have to hear Skynard again, especially Gimme Three Steps and (Gag choke puke) Sweet Home Ala-freakin-bama. I can still tolerate BTO, as long as it's not TCB.

And given my vocal range and style, I am sick of being brought into bands because " you can play and sing China Grove and Never Been any Reason. Never again with those songs.

It's impossible to define the meaning of a good drummer. That being said, in my opinion, the single most important element that makes a drummer good is a solid meter. If that's all a drummer has, he or she is good in my book. However, if he or she has everything else except that, the word good cannot be used.

Some drummers rip into Ringo as a simpleton drummer. I think where they miss the boat is that you have to put the Beatles into context.
You had similar situations in the Stones and AC/DC.

I hear this a lot, especially with the Stones thread a while back, and despite the brilliant-artist-good-taste-thing, the difference for me is that Ringo would occasionally whip out some proper drumming, often subtle and unrecognized by most. The roll in the intro for "Ticket To Ride" for example. The pre-chorus to "Please Please Me" with the double on the left hand, the quick unisons in "Help". Little things, here and there, that make me say "I really need to work on my (insert random rudiment here).

I know the examples are hard to find, and he was by no means a virtuoso, but occasionally the gent whipped out the real deal. I don't get that with CW or PR, even when I listen critically for the gems.

Part of Ringos European tour, this time in Hamburg Germany.

Attachments

• 35082784_10155710959247677_5312267193826672640_o.jpg
    35082784_10155710959247677_5312267193826672640_o.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 35050574_10155710959217677_6062832361098182656_o.jpg
    35050574_10155710959217677_6062832361098182656_o.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 158
Back