Religious Discussions on Drummerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blade123

There are plenty of religious forums online. Go there if you want to discuss religion. I like www.mindusion.com
I come here to discuss drums. I don't know why this topic isn't locked yet. Everyone should just ignore this thread and go on to discuss drums. I am an atheist and very interested in religion and discuss it all the time, but I don't want to get into it while I'm discussing drums. Actually, my drum teacher is a devout christian and is a gospel drummer. He doesn't preach and just teaches drums. If he started preaching, I would leave. I'm sure EVERYONE on here feels the same way. Atheists, agnostics, and theists all come here to discuss DRUMS, not the afterlife. The only reason why these threads stay alive is because religion is a hot subject and everyone needs to put their 2 cents in. If there's a mod online, please delete this...

J

jay norem

There are plenty of religious forums online. Go there if you want to discuss religion. I like www.mindusion.com
I come here to discuss drums. I don't know why this topic isn't locked yet. Everyone should just ignore this thread and go on to discuss drums. I am an atheist and very interested in religion and discuss it all the time, but I don't want to get into it while I'm discussing drums. Actually, my drum teacher is a devout christian and is a gospel drummer. He doesn't preach and just teaches drums. If he started preaching, I would leave. I'm sure EVERYONE on here feels the same way. Atheists, agnostics, and theists all come here to discuss DRUMS, not the afterlife. The only reason why these threads stay alive is because religion is a hot subject and everyone needs to put their 2 cents in. If there's a mod online, please delete this...
If religion is, as you say, a "hot subject" then why can't it be discussed among drummers? I find the idea that all drummers have to talk about is what kind of heads they like to use to be a little insulting. You mean that as a drummer all I'm supposed to think about is what my next ride cymbal will be?
None of the the musicians I hang out with ever talk about music. We talk about politics, religion, philosophy, electric bills, you name it. Why can't us drummers do the same here?

Steamer

Platinum Member
That was because (as is always the case when the discussion turns to jazz) there were so many adamant posts made by people who don't know what they're talking about, people who somehow think that it's a sort of birthright they have as drummers to have some "knowledge," something relevant to say about a kind of music they've obviously never really played.
You don't know jazz unless you play it. Period. It's not in books. It's not in magazine articles.
Anyway, why would anybody want to play jazz anymore? There's no money in it, no fame. You want to kill your career? Call yourself a jazz drummer.
I don't participate in any of the metal threads because I don't know anything about that, but as soon as a jazz thread comes up everybody walks in acting as though they're seasoned pros, talking about "Elvin" and "Tony." Oh yeah, Buddy Rich gets mentioned a lot too.
Between jazz and religion I'd rather talk about religion. At least the Christians know what they're talking about where their religion is concerned!

Easy solution. Simply cut all the talk and just get out and play the actual music called jazz with people who love it just as much like i've done going on 37 years now and forget the huge headache of words the subject of jazz has become on the internet. Let the music in a real context in life speak for itself for those who actually play and enjoy the performing of jazz as their life's blood. That's all that matters really in my view to each individual involved since actions speak louder than words in my view.

Work's for me and has far more long lasting satisfying end results based on my personal and professional experience on the subject. Less stressful and draining on your creative energy.

Now back to the topic of religious discussions if you wish....

B

blade123

If religion is, as you say, a "hot subject" then why can't it be discussed among drummers? I find the idea that all drummers have to talk about is what kind of heads they like to use to be a little insulting. You mean that as a drummer all I'm supposed to think about is what my next ride cymbal will be?
None of the the musicians I hang out with ever talk about music. We talk about politics, religion, philosophy, electric bills, you name it. Why can't us drummers do the same here?
True, we CAN discuss other things, but discuss them at the proper places. I (and I'm sure there's plenty more out there) don't want to have to sift through religious debate to get to the drumming. Like I don't want to sift through drumming talk to get to the religious debate on the religious forums I go to. There's some people on here that may be religious or that may not be religious but they all come here to discuss drumming, not religion or politics. My friends I discuss religion, but at the proper times. You ever have that one annoying friend/person who always needs to talk about unrelated things while you're having a conversation? You're talking about one thing, and he always brings up something new for no reason other than the fact that he was bored? That's what it feels like. I know I can just skip over this thread, but once they allow religious talk on here it's going to seep through into everything.

Jay, I would love to discuss religion with you, PM me(or go to that forum I posted) if you want to talk religion. I have nothing against religious debate, I just want it in the proper places.

EDIT:Maybe not now, it's late and I'm going to bed, but I'll get back to you tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

murphinelli

That was because (as is always the case when the discussion turns to jazz) there were so many adamant posts made by people who don't know what they're talking about, people who somehow think that it's a sort of birthright they have as drummers to have some "knowledge," something relevant to say about a kind of music they've obviously never really played.
You don't know jazz unless you play it. Period. It's not in books. It's not in magazine articles.
Anyway, why would anybody want to play jazz anymore? There's no money in it, no fame. You want to kill your career? Call yourself a jazz drummer.
I don't participate in any of the metal threads because I don't know anything about that, but as soon as a jazz thread comes up everybody walks in acting as though they're seasoned pros, talking about "Elvin" and "Tony." Oh yeah, Buddy Rich gets mentioned a lot too.
Between jazz and religion I'd rather talk about religion. At least the Christians know what they're talking about where their religion is concerned!
trying to talk jazz on this forum is a lot like trying to talk politics or religion.

bernhard, please update your rules:
1. no religion
2. no politics
3. no jazz

this will make dw a much more peaceful place...and boring...

harryconway

Platinum Member
It is, really, so simple. Straight from the forum rules..."First and foremost please keep in mind that this is a moderated forum. There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can pretty much do and say whatever you want. This is not one of them."......."Using the Off Topic Lounge
The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion. Do not post links to “hilarious” videos of stupid people doing stupid things. If you, in your best judgment, create a post or thread that is deleted from this or any other forum topic, understand that we have the final say regarding what is appropriate and what is not. Unfortunately more posts are deleted from this topic than all others combined, and more members are banned based on their actions in this sub-forum. For these reasons, please do not abuse this area of the forum, and save us all the hassle involved in settling disputes that could easily have been avoided in the first place."

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
What if someone had said," I have been trying to play jazz and I just don't get it. I don't think that God wants me to play jazz." Should the response to that person be "There is no God and you're a fool for believing in God" or "Why don't you try playing jazz for Satan"? I Think that a more appropriate response would be "I play jazz and perhaps I can help you. Please describe the problems that you are having." Isn't that last type of response more in tune with the spirt of Drummerworld? Keep in mind that the first two responses were generated as a direct result of religious topics that were being discussed in another thread.

Last edited:

DogBreath

Administrator Emeritus
Try joining a religious or automotive or political or knitting forum and see how receptive they are when you keep wanting to talk about flamacues or debate the virtues of birch versus maple.

Really, I'm surprised that this discussion is still going on. The rules are posted, they've been quoted here, and Bernhard has reiterated his feelings on the matter. Discussion closed. No religion, no politics, and play nice. Talk about drummers and drumming on every subforum except the Off-Topic Lounge, discuss pretty much anything marginally related to music there (and some things not), and save anything that you like to your own hard drive as server space may be opened up at any time by deletion of material. Everyone knows the rules. Please be respectful of our host. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.