Religious Discussions on Drummerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
There are visitors to this forum of all religious backgrounds and beliefs. I have noticed that the main forums on this site are being frequently used to discuss Christian religious topics. I think that the people who are using the main forums for Christian discussions are offending others who don't share the same interest in their threads. I think that the answer lies in respect for all that use this forum. I also think that a possible solution to this issue would be the establishment of a Christian Social Group for the Christians to hold their discussions. I don't see people of other religious orientations discussing their beliefs in the main forums. Ofending people and imposing religious agendas isn't what Drummerworld is about. I am tolerant and respectful of all peaceful people of all religious denominations. I wish love, peace and understanding to all people of the world.

Leadfoot

There are plenty of forums on the web for religious discussions, politics too. Those discussions don't belong here, they only breed arguments and insults.

aydee

Platinum Member
I think the rules of drummerworld explicitly state that no religious or political discussions are permitted for the reasons already mentioned. They inevitably deteriorate into a slanging match that gets abusive & personal.

Having said that, music does have very ancient & deep connections with religion and spirituality, and in a perfect world it would have been nice to discuss these connections in an intellectual sense with other musicians.

...If wishes were horses ..and Aydee had Tony's flams....

J

jamndrummer

Seems to me now that you brought up the religious topic by starting this thread and then pointing out only Christians are doing the offending. Well, maybe if you and others feel like this it might be better to take it offline with the Mods and Bernard, state your feelings and then let them decide. Then they should be the ones who decide who can say what on this forum. After all there is an off topic section on this forum?

mrchattr

Gold Member
I actually thought that the mods made a good decision in keeping the one thread open. It became, at first, a focal point for all religious discussion that happened on this board. It was one thread, and you can put it on ignore if you don't like it, that kind of thing.

But I agree with you. It's gotten out of hand. It seems like every thread I read has someone saying something Christ-oriented.

Most of it seemed to stem from one guy, RhythmJunkie. He promised he would stop. Hopefully, it goes away after that. If not, well, the rules do forbid it...and I would support the enforcement of those rules, even if it led to me getting in trouble for the one thread I did participate in.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
"Having said that, music does have very ancient & deep connections with religion and spirituality, and in a perfect world it would have been nice to discuss these connections in an intellectual sense with other musicians." Quote from aydee

Yes,. That is why I suggested a Social Group for the purpose of the spiritual connection between music and religion

Last edited:
J

jamndrummer

bobdadruma
Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2008

Re: Religious Discussions on Drummerworld

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Having said that, music does have very ancient & deep connections with religion and spirituality, and in a perfect world it would have been nice to discuss these connections in an intellectual sense with other musicians."

Yes,. That is why I suggested a Social Group for the purpose of the spiritual connection between music and religion

stasz

Platinum Member
LOL! I've been having the same dream for a while now ( or a recurring nightmare.... I flam when I'm not supposed to, : )
Well, all I've been practicing lately is my high school's marching show. 5 high school snare drummers trying to play together?? Every note might as well be a flam. lol

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It would be nice to hear Bernard's thoughts on this issue. I think that it would also be interesting to see the views on the spiritual links between religion and music expressed in a forum that is dedicated to that purpose.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I actually thought that the mods made a good decision in keeping the one thread open. It became, at first, a focal point for all religious discussion that happened on this board. It was one thread, and you can put it on ignore if you don't like it, that kind of thing.

But I agree with you. It's gotten out of hand. It seems like every thread I read has someone saying something Christ-oriented.

Most of it seemed to stem from one guy, RhythmJunkie. He promised he would stop. Hopefully, it goes away after that. If not, well, the rules do forbid it...and I would support the enforcement of those rules, even if it led to me getting in trouble for the one thread I did participate in.
I don't feel that anyone should "Get in Trouble" For what has happened. I would just like to see a resolution to this issue. I also was taken in and I posted to one of the threads. It was after I posted that I realised that I was offending some people.

Jon Cable

Silver Member
Yeah great thoughts guys BUT...religion and politics breed resentment and cause rows and nastiness etc I think the 'christian drummer' thread was left alone as it was more about the drummers who are devout and the amount of work they get.
The rules on here have always been no religion, no politics and be nice, I personally don't see any need to change them; Im sure there must be the sort of socio-religious group that you suggest somewhere else on the web. Just my 5 cents [thats me burning in hell again!!]

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Yeah great thoughts guys BUT...religion and politics breed resentment and cause rows and nastiness etc I think the 'christian drummer' thread was left alone as it was more about the drummers who are devout and the amount of work they get.
The rules on here have always been no religion, no politics and be nice, I personally don't see any need to change them; Im sure there must be the sort of socio-religious group that you suggest somewhere else on the web. Just my 5 cents [thats me burning in hell again!!]

I agree 100% Jon. It does seem to me that when there are happening religious or political discussion on one thread, the nastiness starts to leak over to the others.

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
It would be nice to hear Bernard's thoughts on this issue. I think that it would also be interesting to see the views on the spiritual links between religion and music expressed in a forum that is dedicated to that purpose.
My thought is, that i feel uncomfortable with religious topics her at DW. I always must have an eye at them to make sure, they don't get out of hands..and they tend to go so sooner or later.....

We don't delete them at first...in fact the rules say we should.

Anyway:
Threads in the off topic lounge are deleted and brushed off from time to time without further notice. So be sure to backup meaningful thoughts all the time, before they're gone.

Yes, is great for some to have a forum dedicated to religious questions.
Not at Drummerworld of course, but there are so many out there already - good Links?

Bernhard

aboylikedave

Agree with Bernhard about being uncomfortable with purely religious topics for threads (as opposed to just religious references).

But for the record I actually also get a bit peeved by lots of references as well - it can be annoying for drummers of other faiths or of no faith or angostics or atheists to see Christian stuff pop up all over the place spoken as if it is a normal world view, when it is not normal in many parts of the drumming community both globally and locally.

However I also understand that they are not trying to wind anyone up and I actually find the discussions about drumming in Churches very interesting.

Censorship is a rocky road so I would vote for a) a reiteration of the 'no religion rule' and be b) really just ignore it. As someone once said 'They know not what they do!'

Peace.

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is obvious from reading Bernhard's response that he has to make some difficult decisions in this area. I don't envy him for that. Thank you Bernhard for sharing your wisdom with us on this issue.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
There are visitors to this forum of all religious backgrounds and beliefs. I have noticed that the main forums on this site are being frequently used to discuss Christian religious topics. I think that the people who are using the main forums for Christian discussions are offending others who don't share the same interest in their threads. I think that the answer lies in respect for all that use this forum. I also think that a possible solution to this issue would be the establishment of a Christian Social Group for the Christians to hold their discussions. I don't see people of other religious orientations discussing their beliefs in the main forums. Ofending people and imposing religious agendas isn't what Drummerworld is about. I am tolerant and respectful of all peaceful people of all religious denominations. I wish love, peace and understanding to all people of the world.
The thing is, everyone wants to talk about Christianity. In some of the other threads about religion and drumming, some people would try to move the conversation into the realm of spirituality and music, but people on all sides of the issue kept dragging it back to Christianity. That may reflect the largely Western makeup of the board.

There is a deep historical connection between religion, spirituality and music. Some religions believe that music is one of the ways to attain higher spiritual levels, or to more closely approach the divine. In many societies, music does not exist outside of worship. In the West, we are more secular and music can serve completely different purposes, recreational, marketing, etc. Yet the close relationship between music and the divine (as some people choose to believe/call it) persists for many musicians and audience members.

There are many, many other religions and they all have a fascinating relationship with music and their larger culture. This is getting more into anthropology and that may be a safer place to discuss the connection between faith and music - as long as believers and nonbelievers alike are willing to acknowledge the existence of non-Christian religions.

I do not favor a strict, uneducated approach that says, "No discussion of religion of any kind." Music has been with humankind for tens of thousands of years and there is much to learn from that rich history.

rendezvous_drummer

Pioneer Member
Offending you? If you're offended by people explaining what they believe in, then that's ignorant and narrow minded of you. I agree, don't talk about religion on here, but to be offended, unless they're attacking you personally, is ignorant. I guess you're offended by Christmas and Easter then eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.