Recording e-drums discovery

Basher

I finally figured how to get my Roland TD-9 e-drums into my computer without loss of quality. This has been bugging me for a while, and was researching and preparing to buy an interface when I remembered my Zoom H2. It IS an interface. Basically I ran the L/R outs from the module into a stereo Y-cable and into the LINE IN of the H2. Once it was in the unit it was just a matter of transferring the file to the computer and opening it up in my recording program. Perfect quality and I can mix the drums in the program. The only downside is I can't split the drums into individual tracks, so I make sure the drums are mixed well in the module and it works like a charm. Just thought I'd share my discovery. I'll post a snippet of the finished track when it's completed. Keep bashin' !!

I finally figured how to get my Roland TD-9 e-drums into my computer without loss of quality. This has been bugging me for a while, and was researching and preparing to buy an interface when I remembered my Zoom H2. It IS an interface. Basically I ran the L/R outs from the module into a stereo Y-cable and into the LINE IN of the H2. Once it was in the unit it was just a matter of transferring the file to the computer and opening it up in my recording program. Perfect quality and I can mix the drums in the program. The only downside is I can't split the drums into individual tracks, so I make sure the drums are mixed well in the module and it works like a charm. Just thought I'd share my discovery. I'll post a snippet of the finished track when it's completed. Keep bashin' !!

How is that different from just recording straight in to your computer though? You're taking your analog signal out of the drum module in stereo, and recording to the H2 (I have one of those), then uploading the file off the card to your computer? Isn't that just an added step?

When you say "loss of quality" you're already losing some because of the the analog outputs from the drum module. No loss of quality means you have a digital output on your drum module and it goes directly into the computer, remaining in the digital domain the whole time. I'm assuming your computer also an 1/8" stereo input like a mac does, yes?

Or am I missing something?

using your e kits MIDI out put would have the best quality IMO. and the more things you run it through the more noise and distortion is put into the signal, as well as signal bleeding. but if what your doing is what i think it is, then its not a bad option, your just running the drum line through an digital interface that connects to the computer through firewire or USB? Very common configuration.

How is that different from just recording straight in to your computer though? You're taking your analog signal out of the drum module in stereo, and recording to the H2 (I have one of those), then uploading the file off the card to your computer? Isn't that just an added step?

When you say "loss of quality" you're already losing some because of the the analog outputs from the drum module. No loss of quality means you have a digital output on your drum module and it goes directly into the computer, remaining in the digital domain the whole time. I'm assuming your computer also an 1/8" stereo input like a mac does, yes?

Or am I missing something?

You're probably right, but when I say loss of quality, I should clarify that as loss of quality compared to how I did it before. My computer (PC) only has a mic in jack, so Im pretty limited right there. Before I always got static and had to EQ it out. This way I don't. What is recorded is what I hear when I play the kit with phones on. To me it was a huge jump in quality, and yeah it was an extra step, but it's worth the improvement in sound quality. I dont have a mixer, interface (except for the H2), or good recording software ( I use audacity), but this is good for getting into it before I spend bucks on the real deal.

using your e kits MIDI out put would have the best quality IMO. and the more things you run it through the more noise and distortion is put into the signal, as well as signal bleeding. but if what your doing is what i think it is, then its not a bad option, your just running the drum line through an digital interface that connects to the computer through firewire or USB? Very common configuration.

Actually, I know NOTHING about MIDI, so I'm avoiding it like the plague. What I do is record into the H2's line in jack from the module, then either use the USB cable from that into the computer and transfer the track, or pull the SD card out and put it in my reader and copy from that. The SD method is WAY faster! I should note I'm just doing this as demo-type tracks to get acquainted with recording and mixing. Down the road I'll use proper mixers and software. When I go to MIDI from this, I'll have a LOT of questions

You're probably right, but when I say loss of quality, I should clarify that as loss of quality compared to how I did it before. My computer (PC) only has a mic in jack, so Im pretty limited right there. Before I always got static and had to EQ it out. This way I don't. What is recorded is what I hear when I play the kit with phones on. To me it was a huge jump in quality, and yeah it was an extra step, but it's worth the improvement in sound quality. I dont have a mixer, interface (except for the H2), or good recording software ( I use audacity), but this is good for getting into it before I spend bucks on the real deal.

That sucks about your computer input. Perhaps you could get a really nice microphone, and one of those XLR-to-USB converters (I have the one made by BLUE - it works great), and go straight into Audacity. But right now what you're doing with your H2 is about the same thing.

So when do we get to hear some tracks?

Back