Question for any DW Collectors Series Owners

bierce85

Hello, I'm restoring a collectors series kit made in 1998 (Keller shells) which requires some replacement bass drum hoops. I'm planning to get some from Precision Drum Co as I'm in the middle of refinishing the shells in Gibson style Goldtop and I don't believe DW will supply unfinished replacement hoops. I'm just looking to confirm the width of original DW hoops from the flat side which goes against the collar of the head to the outer rounded edge. The hoops I currently have are 1 1/2" and I'm fairly certain they're not original and not as wide as the originals. My guess is maybe 1 3/4" but it would be awesome if anyone here who owns a DW kit could take a second to measure.

A few pics of the project attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 28
DW hoops are 1.75” width. Gibraltar makes great 1.75” maple hoops. I wouldn’t think twice about using those.
Thank you Bo! I've seen the Gibraltar ones but as far as I know they don't sell them unfinished and according to their website they're 1 5/8 in width.

Scroll down bro....... they have 1.75

I see some 20" kellers with that width but I need 22", they have the Gibraltar ones too but those come with a finish applied and I think they're actually 1 5/8" not 1 3/4" seeing as their website lists them that way. In any case, I'm not really looking for a place to buy hoops, just looking to confirm that dimension on original DW hoops.

That gold top finish looks great! How long does that process take on one shell? Also, what's the black stuff on the shell in the 2nd pic? Make sure and post pics once you're finished!

I see some 20" kellers with that width but I need 22", they have the Gibraltar ones too but those come with a finish applied and I think they're actually 1 5/8" not 1 3/4" seeing as their website lists them that way. In any case, I'm not really looking for a place to buy hoops, just looking to confirm that dimension on original DW hoops.
Well excuuuuuse me.

Precision drum co sells unfinished hoops and will cut them to any width. No idea on thickness though.

https://precisiondrum.com/high-quality-musical-drum-products/maple-drum-hoops/
That's who I'm planning to go with. According to DW tech support their hoops are 2" BTW.

On the refinish - When I got these drums 10 years or so ago someone had removed the original factory finish or wrap and replaced it with a not so nice black sparkle wrap which was really thick. I couldn't believe the difference in resonance tapping the shells after pulling the wraps off. They already sounded great but these are gonna be monsters now. Unfortunately the shells were completely covered in adhesive so I went through about 6 cans of goof off and stripped it all with a razor blade. I'm not entirely sure what the black stuff on the 12" was - It seemed to be a different kind of adhesive. No idea why it was only used on that shell. It probably took me 5 hours to do the bass drum alone. After that I cleaned the shells, fixed any imperfections and sprayed 2 coats of sanding sealer on each drum. I sanded that out then sprayed a "flow coat" to get rid of the sanding scratches (those will show in the color coat) then sprayed the gold. It's crescent bronze #255 extra brilliant deepgold powder mixed into clear lacquer. Sprayed the clear coats a few days ago and will sand those out and buff them in a week or so.

Back