Q&A Ludwig Club Date Kit sale

Stick

Hi all. Noob to the site. Would love some feedback on a listing I'm about to run. PLEASE feel free to comment so I can list properly.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

VINTAGE MID-1960’S LUDWIG CLUB DATE KIT
Champagne Sparkle 3 Piece Drum Set
Plus/5X14 Supraphonic Chrome Snare
Vintage 1940-50’s Zildjian Cymbals
1940-1960’s Slingerland Stands Kick Pedals
Up for auction, my grandfathers vintage mid-60’s Ludwig drum ensemble. Complete with vintage drum heads, cymbals, clamps, stands, hi-hat, throne, hardware, to look like you just stepped out on the jazz festival stage. Set comes with working vintage gig bags and cases to cover all drums and cymbals. Set has been in storage and unused for over 25 years and has only been recently opened since owner passed away. Original skins. Crash Cymbal signed by legendary Jazz musician George Wettling and others.
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/George_Wettling.html
NO HOLES. NO ADD ONS. ONLY CLAMPS EVER USED.
BABIED SINCE BIRTH. GRANDFATHERS PRIDE AND JOY. MY LOSS YOUR GAIN
Ludwig Drum set includes…..Size, Drum Type, Keystone #, Date Produce
20” Floor Bass, 330678, Sep. 6, 1966
14” Deep Floor Tom, 495143, Feb. 9, 1967
12” Tom-tom, 330864, Sep. 6, 1966
5X14” Chrome Supraphonic Snare, 266944, Jun. 2, 1966
Vintage Zildjian Cymbals includes…….Size-Type
20” Ride, 18” Custom China, 16” Hi-hat, 14” Crash
Pre-stamped/engraved, visible logos on all cymbals. No cracks, chips, dents, pitting of any kind. All cymbals are in good to near mint condition with some slight wear shown on only the hi-hat bell.
Vintage Slingerland Stands&Kick Pedals
Stands and hardware for Hi-hat, cymbals, throne, and snare all in working order. Clamp for cow bell. Epic 1940’s kick pedal for floor bass with old school wooden mallet and both working springs intact. Extra hardware for connecting tom-toms, cymbals, and or other components, all in working order. Extra vintage snare stand(maybe Ludwig).
Not pictured yet, some rare vintage bass mufflers also added and the kit shown in its cases and gig bags….to be added soon!!!
Here’s a link to my photo album of the set with signatures and all to help give you a better view…..
http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/NoCentsButthead/
email [email protected]

Ohhhhh yea.....Duh!
There's some fine print I cut off the bottom about shipping, delivery, local, et.all.....

I'm on the Space Coast of Florida and may deliver within the region to save us both.
Price? I'm taking offers of course, and some are attractive but I must be firm.
Don't expect it to be anything less than a steel.

Normally when people sell something (in this country, at least), they list an amount of money that they would like to receive in exchange for that item. This is called a "price". The price lets the buyer know how much the seller wants to receive for the item. In the case of second-hand or used items, sometimes the price is negotiable. When a buyer comes across an item he/she may be interested in, they often look to the price as one of the deciding factors as to whether or not they wish to engage in a transaction with the seller. Sometimes the seller lacks common courtesy and doesn't post a price. Without a price in place, this gives the buyer less information to make an educated decision with, and often times the seller misses out on selling an item...

Since this is not a sale, but an auction, I'll start the bidding: $1.00

Normally when people sell something (in this country, at least), they list an amount of money that they would like to receive in exchange for that item. This is called a "price". The price lets the buyer know how much the seller wants to receive for the item. In the case of second-hand or used items, sometimes the price is negotiable. When a buyer comes across an item he/she may be interested in, they often look to the price as one of the deciding factors as to whether or not they wish to engage in a transaction with the seller. Sometimes the seller lacks common courtesy and doesn't post a price. Without a price in place, this gives the buyer less information to make an educated decision with, and often times the seller misses out on selling an item...

Since this is not a sale, but an auction, I'll start the bidding: $1.00

If you get this for a buck, we'll all kill you. :)
Yeah, we need price/location/ and stuff.

Hi all. Noob to the site. Would love some feedback on a listing I'm about to run. PLEASE feel free to comment so I can list properly.
Try listing here, then, in the For Sale section ... http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601&page=7

Ohhhhh yea.....Duh!
There's some fine print I cut off the bottom about shipping, delivery, local, et.all.....

I'm on the Space Coast of Florida and may deliver within the region to save us both.
Don't expect it to be anything less than a steel.
What you need to do, is take you "action" to eBay .... a lot more "buyers" are gonna see your kit "there" than "here" ....​
Here's one kit http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Club-Dat...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item3cb9d24918 18 hours left in the auction .... starts at $625 .... BIN $725 no bids....yet.​
Here's another kit http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ludwig-...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item20baffdeb3 1 bid for $500 .... Reserve Not Met or BIN $1500 .... very wishful thinking on that guys part.​
I'm currently awaiting a Gretsch round badge kit 20, 13, 16 ..... landed price $1540. After this kit, I probably won't need to be buying any more drums, for a while.​

You don't know HOW many times I've told myself this...

Oh, I know it well, I'm a drum addict also .... but ... not counting my electronics ... I have 4 kits. My Ludwigs, my Yamaha RC's, my RMV's (ok, so I'm still missing a matching kick for the RMV's .... and now soon to be ... a Gretsch round badge kit.​
And the Yamaha RC's are my "beater" kit .... once I get my titanium hips, and get back to gigging out, those will be the drums being thrown about town.​

Anyone looking for a real nice kit for the holiday, I've still got it and haven't yet to put up on the bay....yet. Thought maybe the real drummers of the world would like a shot at this first????

Anyone?

Anyone looking for a real nice kit for the holiday, I've still got it and haven't yet to put up on the bay....yet. Thought maybe the real drummers of the world would like a shot at this first????

Anyone?

We're all chomping at the bit here, like it's Kentucky Derby Day!

Photos and suggested price please! Are you willing to ship this to a U.S. buyer?

Anyone?

Ok....here it goes.You need to stop fishing,and post a price.If you want an apraisal,just ask.Firstly,I don't think those drums were all purchased at the same time,which is evidenced by the difference in dates,as well as the difference in fade in the floor tom,which was probably added later..That kit should also come with an acrolite snare,not a supraphonic.The presence of Slingerland hardware,as opposed to Ludwig,further devalues this kit.So as a collectors grade kit,it does leave something to be desired.My opinion is to sell the drums separately from the cymbals,as well as the hardware.

It may be the lighting also but I would bet that those drums are silver sparkle,faded to what is called ginger ale,and not champaign sparkle.

The autoghaphed ride cymbal is not worth anything extra with the autograph,without provenance to prove authentication.The rivet holes in that ride cymbal also appear non factory.There are some nice late 50's early 60's Zildjians according to the stamps,and they should be sold separately.

I think trying to sell locally is a bad mistake,as Florida has one of the highest unemployment and forclosure rates in the nation.Open it up to a larger audience by using Ebay,and offer shipping.

Do some research buy using past sales on ebay as a price point,and remember that market is changing almost daily.

Steve B

We're all chomping at the bit here, like it's Kentucky Derby Day!

Photos and suggested price please! Are you willing to ship this to a U.S. buyer?

Photos are in the OP on a link to photobucket.

Last edited:
Ok....here it goes.You need to stop fishing,and post a price.If you want an apraisal,just ask.Firstly,I don't think those drums were all purchased at the same time,which is evidenced by the difference in dates,as well as the difference in fade in the floor tom,which was probably added later..That kit should also come with an acrolite snare,not a supraphonic.The presence of Slingerland hardware,as opposed to Ludwig,further devalues this kit.So as a collectors grade kit,it does leave something to be desired.My opinion is to sell the drums separately from the cymbals,as well as the hardware.

It may be the lighting also but I would bet that those drums are silver sparkle,faded to what is called ginger ale,and not champaign sparkle.

The autoghaphed ride cymbal is not worth anything extra with the autograph,without provenance to prove authentication.The rivet holes in that ride cymbal also appear non factory.There are some nice late 50's early 60's Zildjians according to the stamps,and they should be sold separately.

I think trying to sell locally is a bad mistake,as Florida has one of the highest unemployment and forclosure rates in the nation.Open it up to a larger audience by using Ebay,and offer shipping.

Do some research buy using past sales on ebay as a price point,and remember that market is changing almost daily.

Steve B

Thanks for the input Steve.
The color is Champ. It's not faded silver or some other color. The pics don't show well since a phone was used for the taking IMHO. The floor tom IS about 6-8 months younger than the others yes, why it's not the exact same color may have something to do in production. Not sure. As to why the mix of the snare???? It's about the sound. this kit was used by a touring Jazz professional so I'm going to assume he knew what he wanted to hear out of his kit.

As for the price. I'd like to see $2,500.00 considering how well they were kept and the age of the Zilds.

Photos are in the OP on a link to photobucket.

I saw that. Me - and others who used work computers - have Photobucket blocked so I can't see them. If you could post photo within yuor DW ad here it might help.

Thanks. yeah go with Steve says. He's the expert. You could put a $2,500 Buy It Now pricetag on it. For that kind of money you'll get a ton of nitpicking potential buyers with a ton of questions. Especially if they can't inspect the kit cymbals first, before buying. I'd sell the cymbals separately. Love Clubdates though.

As for the price. I'd like to see $2,500.00 considering how well they were kept and the age of the Zilds.
Good luck with that. I think you'll be holding onto those drums, for a very long time, if that's your price. I could be wrong, certainly have been before, but that's my opinion.

Nice kit but nothing special about it. You will never get anything close to $2500 in our current economy, $1000 at best on a good day. For $2500 you can buy a collector grade Ludwig kit.

Back