Problem With DW 5000 Hi hat Stand- Anyone Else?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I have a relatively new DW 5000 two-legged, hi hat stand that I am having some trouble with. I tend to bounce a little when I play, which has never been an issue before. However, with my DW two- legged stand, the hi hat stand itself is moving all over the place and becomes an issue, in terms of accuracy. Again, I had been using a Tama Iron Cobra with two legs and never had this issue.

The stand’s legs appear to be flush on the ground. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to get the stand from bouncing all over the place?

I’ve only had that issue when we installed new carpeting in our home and chose to go with the thickest premium padding made. The two leg DW stand had a slight wobble. Ended up going back to a three leg DW hi-hat stand.

I play the same hi hat and mine does wobble a bit especially if I am keeping time with my hi hat heel. Not that bad though. Maybe put some more pressure on the legs vs pedal in adjustment.
Settle it down! Wildman!..does yours have the anti-wobble on off switch? 😃.

When I tried the 2-leg DW5000 hi hat stand, I found if I pushed the two legs out a little more, making it tilt towards me slightly, it was rock solid. The pedal becomes the third leg of the triangle but isn’t designed for that, so I made it that way by the slight tilt.

When I tried the 2-leg DW5000 hi hat stand, I found if I pushed the two legs out a little more, making it tilt towards me slightly, it was rock solid. The pedal becomes the third leg of the triangle but isn’t designed for that, so I made it that way by the slight tilt.
I have actually done that as well. The issue is that it leans down a bit and throws off my playing, just a tad. I might need to do that if I keep the stand though.

I’ve only had that issue when we installed new carpeting in our home and chose to go with the thickest premium padding made. The two leg DW stand had a slight wobble. Ended up going back to a three leg DW hi-hat stand.
Hmm…I may need to switch back to three legs I guess.

I play the same hi hat and mine does wobble a bit especially if I am keeping time with my hi hat heel. Not that bad though. Maybe put some more pressure on the legs vs pedal in adjustment.
Yeah, I will try that.

I have actually done that as well. The issue is that it leans down a bit and throws off my playing, just a tad. I might need to do that if I keep the stand though.
One of the reasons I sold it and went back to three legs. Three legs is super-stable, and spinning the legs to accommodate a double pedal is still stable.

Pull the footboard up a bit off the floor. I know it sounds less intuitive, but this is the trick to getting the 2-legged 5k solid. You want all the weight of the foot to be distributed onto tripod created by the legs and bottom of the heel plate.

I've got two 5000s and a 9000, all two-leg stands.

My trick for stability goes as follows:
1) Open the foot plate all the way, and lock it tight. Of course.
2) Set the stand on the ground
3) Open the legs until the feet touch the floor firmly.

If you go too far out, the stand will bounce during left foot work; if you don't go far enough the stand will wobble. But if the whole of your foot plate and the two feet are making equal contact, the stand will not bounce.

You can also put the feet down a little too far, then just release the wing nut that opens the legs until the stand stops moving downward, then just tighten that wing nut.

I play out with one of my 5000s and haven't had an issue since I figured out the order of operations.

Pull the footboard up a bit off the floor. I know it sounds less intuitive, but this is the trick to getting the 2-legged 5k solid. You want all the weight of the foot to be distributed onto tripod created by the legs and bottom of the heel plate.
I’ll give it a shot.

Back