Practice Pad for Night and Weekend Practice

When dampened it's about twice the volume of the Moongel. Moongel is like your softest whisper, so it's not loud. The softest finger snap is at least 3 times louder.

I have them all set up nexxt to each other.

Mounting makes A LOT of difference, though.
Ok, that sounds good. But how does it feel to play on the Moongel?
+1 for Reflexx (the new Zildjian Reflexx pads are the way to go and can be found globally now). Quiet and incredibly effective for a variety of types of practice/conditioning.
How much rebound does it have?

I have the ProLogix Blue pad, which I bought specifically to lower volume and have a more 'loosely-tuned' feel. I actually don't use it at all at the moment as I'm in the middle of redeveloping my technique, but it's certainly quieter than the Evans Realfeel and ProLogix Johnny Rabb (turquoise, with a black dampening mat).

I use the Realfeel at work during downtime and if I have quiet space for it, but it does tend to echo a bit and I worry about the noise isolation. Something I need to do is glue some soft rubber padding to the feet on the stand to reduce noise transmission into the floor - this makes a pretty big difference too. I've also used towels and t-shirts over the pads in the past to reduce volume with minimal impact on rebound
How does it feel compared to the Realfeel and how much rebound does it have i.e would i have to pull the sticks back up on my own all the time or is there still enough rebound to not get injured?
What means „certainly“, language wise?

Moongel is more or less dead. Brush type conditioning with sticks. Not meant to feel like a drum, it's a conditioning pad. Different from a pillow beacuse it has a definite articulate surface, but that's it.

Last edited:
How does it feel compared to the Realfeel and how much rebound does it have i.e would i have to pull the sticks back up on my own all the time or is there still enough rebound to not get injured?
What means „certainly“, language wise?

It feels more 'solid' to hit than the Realfeel. The rebound is slow, but it is there. You'll definitely be controlling the hit a bit more - i.e., picking up the stick, as opposed to getting a good bounce. I would compare it to say, a loosely tuned snaredrum or maybe a 14" floor tom.

"certainly" in that context I guess would be like saying "definitely" :) Being "Certain" means that you know something is true

Moongel pad, very good. See for yourself:

No problems using it at night. Maybe play a normal pad when you can in the day, it's good to work on different surfaces

Maybe this is a bit expensive, but what if you got a Roland V-Drum pad with a mesh head? I had those and they seemed really quiet since it’s a head and the stick energy isn’t being transmitted down a stand into the floor. Or maybe get a small tom and put a mesh head on it while removing the bottom head. That could be really quiet too.

Mesh heads are a good idea for noise reduction, I just preface the idea of using it on a small tom or something with suggesting that I'm not convinced they don't damage bearing edges (personal experience), so I would recommend finding a cheap nasty second-hand one and don't put mesh heads on a good kit.

What is the 'reverisible' feature all about with the ROTM moongel 14" reverisible pad? The Sweetwater site says zip about this. And can it be used on your lap as is or would it need a backing, like a stiff book or piece of wood or whatever? Thanks in advance!

Back