Post Audition Advice

A few weeks back I had an audition with a local rock band, an original act. Prior to the audition they emailed me 2 of their songs that I learned verbatim from their site. Went through the first audition and basically nailed their songs note for note, I even learned a third song in case they wanted something else to jam to. The group was surprised and it seemed like I set the bar for rest of the prospects. We chatted a bit after and they invited me back for a second audition. Their lead singer even emailed me and admitted that he didn't want to audition any one else but they kinda had to since it's only fair to give others a chance. My confidence was pretty solid at this point and this is just the first round.

So I had the second audition the other day and nailed two more songs they sent me prior. They said I played way more "awesomer" than the first time. Towards the end, they began talking about upcoming gigs and even more songs that they wanted me to learn. I left the second audition feeling really really good and there was no mention of any other prospects left that they had to try out except whether I got the gig or not. In the past, most of the bands that I have auditioned for have offered me the job on the spot or a the day after. Not that I'm patting my own back but I love doing auditions and seeing people's reactions to my playing. Not to feed my ego but to know that I still have chops and that my practicing hasn't gone to waste.

Plot twist: The difference between this band and the others in the past is that I actually 'want' to be a part of this gig which I have voiced to them when talking in between songs. They're all great, mature musicians. The music is fun and completely out of my comfort zone and actually makes me want to get better as a player. I guess you could say I found my dream band.

Anyway, how do I go about inquiring if I'm officially in or not without looking like I desperately need this gig? Or do I have the gig but I'm just getting over my head? Gah, only time will tell. Thanks for reading.

If you join this band you need to go in with open communication. You are basically entering into a relationship. With that being said, I would just ask the singer if you got the gig. Seems like he liked you and already opened up the lines of communication. By telling him that you love the band and really want to be a member you may set yourself apart from other, more aloof, drummers that auditioned. I would take an enthusiastic player over the guy who hit every note every time. Your excitement may also convince them that by picking you, they will not find themselves in the same situation next year when the other guy packs up.

Update: I have a gig tonight with another band and the singer said he was going to be there. I invited them so they could see/hear me in action even if it's a completely different genre of music. The venue has a really good sound system and the last time I performed there I had a blast. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
Update: got a text from the band this morning. It's official, I'm in.

Sounds to me that both sides of this equation are equally excited about the prospect. This can signal a good working relationship for your future together. Congrats!

Congratulations! I was going to suggest just shutting up and not inquiring if you've made the band. While some think its a good idea to stay in touch, most people I know who put bands together get annoyed and it works against you. It's a fine line, so I just say thank you and let them contact me later (or not).

Congratulations! I was going to suggest just shutting up and not inquiring if you've made the band. While some think its a good idea to stay in touch, most people I know who put bands together get annoyed and it works against you. It's a fine line, so I just say thank you and let them contact me later (or not).

Totally agree with this. It's their decision. But you got the gig. I like your attitude, and however you handled it worked. I hope it's everything it appears to be initially. Go get em Tiger!

Totally agree with this. It's their decision. But you got the gig. I like your attitude, and however you handled it worked. I hope it's everything it appears to be initially. Go get em Tiger!

Hey Bo, my thoughts were the same, it was really hard trying not to blast them with an email but thank goodness I was blessed with patience.

To add to the story (or close for that matter), I was at their gig the other night and right before their last song one of the singers announced that the drummer was leaving the band and then followed by, "...but no worries, we got that guy right over there!" Spotlight flashed right over me as I'm sipping my vodka/redbull. The crowd cheered after an awkward moment that felt like an eternity. Their drummer is a really hot Asian girl. Damn I got big shoes to fill, I'm still stoked though.

....thank goodness I was blessed with patience.....

..but no worries, we got that guy right over there!" Spotlight flashed right over me as I'm sipping my vodka/redbull. The crowd cheered after an awkward moment that felt like an eternity. Their drummer is a really hot Asian girl. Damn I got big shoes to fill, I'm still stoked though.

Patience is one of the things that has served me well my whole life. Good to hear you have it too.

Also, what happened... that's very telling right there. The singer obviously has enough confidence in you to include you. Did the former drummess know you were her replacement before the announcement? Why is she leaving?

You don't have to pay any attention to this, because I'm a nutrition Nazi but that Red Bull-s**t is really bad crap to put inside your body, but I'll keep that to myself from now on.

Congratulations on the new gig and keep us posted as to how things progress.

You don't have to pay any attention to this, because I'm a nutrition Nazi but that Red Bull-s**t is really bad crap to put inside your body, but I'll keep that to myself from now on.

It's basically just an additional amino-acid called Taurine. Originally found in yak bile,(but also in most other animals including us) as most understand it, taurine basically just breaks down the caffeine in your stomach at a faster rate letting it hit you more intensely. Other than that, it's really not much different from a soda pop, which is bad for you, but in moderation, you're fine.

Not so sure about some of the more complex "energy drinks", but red bull seems to be in the less "extreme" category relatively speaking.

I'm gonna start calling you Dr. Pepper if you keep up these shenanigans Mister. Soda Pop is equally as bad, spikes the sugar, causing a flood of insulin, which lowers you blood sugar, making the craving cycle start all over. You call yourself a Dr. and you are defending Red Bull? Actually, that makes perfect sense come to think of it. The caffeine buzz is about the most jittery awful feeling there is, yuck.

I'm gonna start calling you Dr. Pepper if you keep up these shenanigans Mister. Soda Pop is equally as bad, spikes the sugar, causing a flood of insulin, which lowers you blood sugar, making the craving cycle start all over. You call yourself a Dr. and you are defending Red Bull? Actually, that makes perfect sense come to think of it. The caffeine buzz is about the most jittery awful feeling there is, yuck.

Dr. Pepper is the only soft drink I'll take. And again, in extreme moderation. I'm just trying to be reasonable. I don't think red bull is poison, nor are sodas really any worse than any other candy which is the category they should inhabit. It's the way they are consumed in this country that causes issues. We have too much sugar and sweeteners in our diet. And again, red bull is just another soda, which means it's not "good" for you, but neither is a chocolate bunny.

On a related note, I like the sound of "Dr_Shenanigans".

What you put in your body affects every aspect of you health and mood. Liquified sugar hits your bloodstream SO FAST. At least the sugar in chocolate doesn't hit that fast because it is mixed in with fat, which takes longer to break down. Drinking soda is almost like injecting soda lol. Sorry. I just really hate what the American diet considers "OK" to consume. I say this stuff because I care.

Patience is one of the things that has served me well my whole life. Good to hear you have it too.

Also, what happened... that's very telling right there. The singer obviously has enough confidence in you to include you. Did the former drummess know you were her replacement before the announcement? Why is she leaving?

Congratulations on the new gig and keep us posted as to how things progress.

I'm not sure if she knew that I was the new guy or not prior to the on-stage announcement. We haven't formally met and I'm not sure if we ever will. I never asked the band why she was leaving but based on what I've heard, she recently found a new job that took up a bunch of her time and that writing/performing with the band was no longer going to be a possibility and they felt she was dragging them down. I never looked at it from the singer's standpoint and that makes me feel way better than the awkwardness/unexpectedness from that moment, thanks for pointing that out.

As for the redbull/vodka, yes...it is bad and I only drink it when I'm in Vegas. I stopped drinking beer on January 1st and have only had 3 beers this year which is pretty damn good. Drinking was never an issue but I enjoy the occasional vodka tonic an hour before a set to relax. My goal is to stop drinking altogether before the year is over because it's actually better to go home and still be collected enough to unload your gear into the house.

Back