Possibly My Next DW Set

BobC

Silver Member
I sold off the puke green PDP set I bought last year, because frankly, I did not love them, and it seems I'm playing more and more tight space gigs, where I require a 9x12, 14x14, 16x20 setup.

As that's the case, I should love the drums I'm using, right? I didn't feel like trying to sell them privately, so Guitar Center took them off my hands for $25 less than I paid. Good deal. Thanks, GC.

These beauties are DW Performance series drums in Gold Sparkle. Obviously, this is a generic photo showing 13/16/22, but you get the picture. The other option is Black Diamond Pearl, which doesn't thrill me as much. I couldn't cajole my artist relations guy into giving me the wrap I wanted; Pale Blue Oyster, so choices are limited.

Wait time is 8-9 weeks, but they'll probably arrive sooner than that. I'm placing the order this week.

Attachments

• DW Performance Gold Sparkle.jpg
    DW Performance Gold Sparkle.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I like the finish; it pops without sacrificing elegance.

Definitely like that one more than the black diamond. How do you feel about the 16” depth on the bass? Personally, I much prefer a 14” depth, especially if you are playing tight spaces.

I looked at that finish a couple years ago and that sparkle is not the sparkle I was expecting, it was…different. Seeing it up close changed my mind. Great drums though, you cannot go wrong with the Performance line.

Definitely like that one more than the black diamond. How do you feel about the 16” depth on the bass? Personally, I much prefer a 14” depth, especially if you are playing tight spaces.
I like 16x20 much more than 14x20. Width is the issue on tight space gigs, not depth. I'm playing Thursday night with one of our bass players who is a very large guy, which only makes things more cramped.

I can't get enough low end out of a 14x20, but I can with the extra two inches.

Last edited:
I sold off the puke green PDP set I bought last year, because frankly, I did not love them, and it seems I'm playing more and more tight space gigs, where I require a 12/14/20 setup.

As that's the case, I should love the drums I'm using, right? I didn't feel like trying to sell them privately, so Guitar Center took them off my hands for $25 less than I paid. Good deal. Thanks, GC.

These beauties are DW Performance series drums in 9x12, 14x14, 16x20 in Gold Sparkle. Obviously, this is a generic photo showing 13/16/22, but you get the picture. The other option is Black Diamond Pearl, which doesn't thrill me as much. I couldn't cajole my artist relations guy into giving me the wrap I wanted; Pale Blue Oyster, so choices are limited.

Wait time is 8-9 weeks, but they'll probably arrive sooner than that. I'm placing the order this week.
Was it the finish of the PDP that you didn’t like or was it something else?

I hated the color and thought they sounded just acceptable, but not as good as I'd like. My artist relations guy at DW said, buy something out of your comfort zone for a change. I did and thought I'd get used to them, but I didn't, and regretted it.

When I ordered them, I wanted the red/black fade, but they were not in stock. I could have gotten the plain maple finish. I just don't like solid matte finishes on drums.

Last edited:
If space is a concern, why dont you get a kit with a bass mounted tom, this way you can eliminate the cymbal stand and just have a ride and crash on one side?

If space is a concern, why dont you get a kit with a bass mounted tom, this way you can eliminate the cymbal stand and just have a ride and crash on one side?
Because I usually don't like the limited positioning of a bass mount, and I'm quite set with the way I position cymbals. Cymbal stands aren't an issue generally.

Back