Phil Collins

One of his best attributes as a drummer is that Phil is the master of making odd time signatures groove. “Turn it on again” during his Genesis days is a great example of that.

Going deeper into the rabbit hole, this song jumps all over the place but never do you feel that Phil is unmoored and not in total command of what is happening.

I know the Bataclan 1973 video has been making the rounds for a few weeks now, but this is the best Gabriel-era footage I’ve ever seen. You literally feel like you’re on stage with them! Phil is on fire 🔥 Any fan of Genesis or Phil needs to check this out.
thanks for posting that. I had seen this footage years ago but its been upgraded incredibly.
What detail. I always thought Phil used an off-white Gretsch kit in that era but that seems metallic covered?

But he has legions of fans......so whatever he's been doing works!!!
So has Justine Beiber and all the rest of the so called modern talent. Sorry but ur strange post reminded me of a guitarist I worked with once .....and the moment he said to me...."What on earth is the point of Elton John or a group such as ABBA?

Needless to say I never saw the guy again...shame cause we were a good band.

thanks for posting that. I had seen this footage years ago but its been upgraded incredibly.
What detail. I always thought Phil used an off-white Gretsch kit in that era but that seems metallic covered?
He started off on a natural finish Gretsch kit. He seems to have wrapped those drums in chrome here, and then for the next tour they were indeed re-wrapped in white. I've seen some photos from the late 70s where these drums had been un-wrapped and stained a dark wood color. I wonder if Phil still owns that kit?

One of his best attributes as a drummer is that Phil is the master of making odd time signatures groove. “Turn it on again” during his Genesis days is a great example of that.

Going deeper into the rabbit hole, this song jumps all over the place but never do you feel that Phil is unmoored and not in total command of what is happening.

This tune is just about the grooviest 3/4 drumbeat I know of...it's crazy how something so simple can take on such a hypnotic feel. I copied it in a band I was in in the nineties (sorry Phil) and it was amazing how crowds reacted to that groove, everyone just dancing and grooving through it like it was anything other than a regular funky 4/4 beat

Have some mixed feelings about this but it looks like Genesis is hitting this side of the pond later in the year and we can see Phil doing the Genesis thing live for the first time in years.

As someone who never had the good fortune to attend a Genesis concert, I almost feel obligated to go, although seeing Phil sing in a chair and not having Chester back there feels like more of a cover act than anything else. Plus the what I am sure will be ludicrously high prices to watch them play their hits (versus the deep cuts that appeal to me more) make this a tough decision for me.

Have some mixed feelings about this but it looks like Genesis is hitting this side of the pond later in the year and we can see Phil doing the Genesis thing live for the first time in years.

As someone who never had the good fortune to attend a Genesis concert, I almost feel obligated to go, although seeing Phil sing in a chair and not having Chester back there feels like more of a cover act than anything else. Plus the what I am sure will be ludicrously high prices to watch them play their hits (versus the deep cuts that appeal to me more) make this a tough decision for me.

Yeah, but, it's Genesis... ;)

Even though I've been a fan since the mid 80s I never managed to see Genesis live until the 2007 tour. I'd seen Phil and Peter several times, but never Genesis. That tour didn't have the raw energy of things like Three Sides Live, but finally hearing those songs played live are some of the strongest memories I have. I'm just happy to be able to see them playing together again, something I really didn't think was ever going to happen.

I too have mixed feelings about this. I automatically think of Chester and Phil when I think of Genesis. I suspect his son is pretty darn good. Also, I'm a big fan of Daryl Stuermer. Since I've never seen Genesis live I suppose I'll have to see them when they come through these parts.

A small part of me hopes that COVID gave Phil the opportunity to recuperate and that come later in the year when the concerts kick in he will be able to play on the kit and/or stand for portions of the set.

A girl can dream, right?

I don't know, Maybe this (from Modern Drummer ) is of any use?
Modern-Drummer-March-1997-9.jpg

If I weren't so incredibly rusty at reading sheet music, it surely would!
So the very first beat of the first full measure is a quarter note rest, right? And then the snare hits on the 3, yes?
Also, I love that they describe that as looking simple. [sigh]

I'm surprised this thread has gone this long without anyone mentioning one of Phil's most amazing drum tracks, "Woman in Chains" by Tears for Fears. This is some deep pocket drumming and as the drum part builds and he plays those over the bar fills-- holy crap. Put on some headphones and listen to this:

The guy was an absolute monster drummer. I know a lot of his later stuff sounds cheesy, but it's really worth doing a deep dive on his playing. Another track that comes to mind is Peter Gabriel's "No Self Control" from the 3rd solo album:

Listen to the wild fill after the phrase "swarm of bees" around the 2:00 mark-- it's as exciting and perfect for the moment as anything I can think of from the 80s. That whole album is a masterpiece of drumming-- it's the one with no cymbals, and Phil's drumming is just incomparably good.

Back