People with 26" bass drums: WTF do you drive?

Completely legit question here. So I work at a drum shop where I can get stuff at cost. I found out that Ludwig makes pink Vistalites. Long story short, here we are.

I currently play a 22" kick like most(?) people. I figured if I end up with Vistalites, it's a good opportunity to get a 24" instead. My boss (and at least a dozen other people) are fully in camp "go full Bonzo and get the 26."

Now, I'll figure out a kick sized based on what kick size I want. Will think on it a bit. But my question IS, those of you who HAVE huge kicks (transported in bags), especially if you use multiple floor toms (I use a 16 and an 18)... no joke, what DO you drive that this all fits in nicely? I'm not getting a new vehicle for a while but it might come up within the year and if I become a stupid-big-kit person, it'll be on my list of considerations. Right now I have a Camry (haaaa) and this is all going home in my partner's Forester regardless.

Considerations so far:
4-wheel drive (I live in the woods)
safety
gas mileage
CD player available
fits a full Bonzo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just say “No” to any red minivan.

D8F799D1-F558-4A65-844E-C47863F80BC4.jpeg

I haul gear every day I work and a 4WD truck is the best way to fly, especially if you live where roads get icy.

39D4FE74-C8AA-4DD4-B651-126E8FAEE2F4.jpeg

Just say “No” to any red minivan.

View attachment 90286

I haul gear every day I work and a 4WD truck is the best way to fly, especially if you live where roads get icy.

View attachment 90288

Mmmmm, yeah I dunno if that's gonna be the right kinda pick for me though hell yes on the ice part. My goal is to get something as short (front to back) as I can without being frustrating- i.e. the Subaru outback, blech. They're just so damn long. I end up in Boston a lot and parking is such a nightmare as it is. I love the size/shape of a Jeep Wrangler but a bit out of budget for me (new) and I'd liiiiiiike to do a bit better on gas...

Over the years .... I've had a lot of drum haulers. '69, '71, '72 VW bus, '74 Ford Ranchero, '66 Ford F-250, '89 Toyota van (not red), '90 Olds Cutlass wagon. All those hauled my everything with ease.

Currently, I drive a '97 Geo Tracker. Never tried to get my Luddy 3 ply 26, 14, 16, 18 in that, however. Probably could be done. Wouldn't be rolling with a passenger though.

I end up in Boston a lot and parking is such a nightmare as it is.
oof. I’ve been to Boston only three times and the traffic plus the way they drive (left hand turn into traffic by simply drifting out into traffic!) made me very uncomfortable. And I’ve driven all over the country, too.

2006 Ford E-250 work van.

No 26" bass drum though. That's too much bass drum for my needs.

I carry a kit with a 24" bass drum in hard cases in my 2015 Ford edge.

Attachments

• Edge small file.jpg
    Edge small file.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
oof. I’ve been to Boston only three times and the traffic plus the way they drive (left hand turn into traffic by simply drifting out into traffic!) made me very uncomfortable. And I’ve driven all over the country, too.

Yeah I live in central MA but drive all over- band practice in Boston once a week at least etc. and I've always had sedans... full Bonzo or not I had decided to go a little bigger for my next car but I really want to be able to fit as many places as possible still haha.

Back