Opinions on Yamaha Yess tom mounts two-point vs. newer three-point

single-ply

Has anyone had any bad luck with these mounts killing a drum, resonance-wise?

I recently have been playing on a newer Yamaha hybrid set (not mine) and have been impressed with the amount of ring with the three-point tom attachment. Better or a step back from the two-point mount?

I'm thinking of drilling a high end virgin tom. Hate the rims mounts and hate snare stands for toms.

Open to all opinions....

I only have prolonged experience with the 2-point YESS mounts, and I've never had an issue with them.

That said, DON'T DRILL!!!! If I were you, I'd absolutely go with these instead.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/br3

I got to play around with some INDe drums at NAMM, and I'm super impressed with their tunable tom mounts. This is their newest version, a no-drill mount that replaces a lug (using existing holes).

EDIT: If you don't want to give up a lug and don't mind drilling, then their original suspension mount is what I'd recommend.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/inde-suspension-mounting-bracket

Last edited:
I would second that. Go for the INDe mount. The Yamaha YESS III (or whatever it's called) is very functional, but I'm not loving the aesthetics at all.

I’d never seen the Inde mounts before. I may have to get a couple for bass drum mounted cowbells. Those things look like the perfect ticket.

Yamaha's R&D on the YESS mount was substantial. I have them on my 2005 RC's. Never a problem with choking if you know what you are doing. Any problems will be down to "User error" :)

I have Inde mounts (the original version) on a couple of my toms and I think they're great. They're very well designed and built, and they accommodate a variety of hole spacings for mounting and a variety of L-rod diameters, so they're super adaptable. Now that they've introduced the "replace a lug" version that seems perfect for what you're looking for.

I'm not completely against drilling new holes but if it can be avoided I don't see a compelling reason to drill.

I would second that. Go for the INDe mount. The Yamaha YESS III (or whatever it's called) is very functional, but I'm not loving the aesthetics at all.
The Yamaha YESS II mounts can be purchased with ease, but I haven't seen the YESS III (from the Hybrid Maple series) available for sale anywhere.

The Yamaha YESS II mounts can be purchased with ease, but I haven't seen the YESS III (from the Hybrid Maple series) available for sale anywhere.
You can get all of them. The I, IIs, IIw, and III from the dealers.

The tested sience behind the mounts (which is why they went from the original Yess to the Yess II and later III)

1669394758233.png

Which came from the PHX testing ground.

1669394869574.png

I prefer the 2s (steel) or a shell matching 2w (which isn’t made from factory) in terms of looks.

But I do feel the 3 shows slightly more shell (I just can’t with all that plastic).

1669394977673.png

One thing that could happen with the early IIw PHX mounts is that the rubber was set too tight which would again could dampen the shell, I read here. Loosen them slightly should fix that.

Back