Okay, Who LOOKS The Coolest?

the best, most intense and techical drummers rarely use flair to enhance their showmanship. They let their ability do the talking, and I agree with this. I have no time for stick twirlers or drummers doing anything but being precise and keeping time. Its not a circus.

F

A cherub from Kennewick, Washington by the name of Issac Carpenter. Look up videos on YouTube from his days with his first band, Loudermilk.
He also plays for Adam Lambert now.

the best, most intense and techical drummers rarely use flair to enhance their showmanship. They let their ability do the talking, and I agree with this. I have no time for stick twirlers or drummers doing anything but being precise and keeping time. Its not a circus.

F

This might also have something to do with the guys you refer to often being session players. If that's the case, they're hired to play the songs, not to provide the visual entertainment. If you're part of the backing band for a solo artist, the main focus should be on the guy whose name is on the gig poster.

But take a look at guys like Thomas Lang, Marco Minneman and Virgil Donati. Definitely technical monsters who can play chop cirlces (hah!) around just about anyone, but when they get to do their own thing, they still pull out the stick tricks and flair. Like Thomas Lang himself says; he does this because it's called "show business" and he wants to put on a great show.

I've always liked Tommy Lee's approach to theatrics and stick twirling. Love his playing too.

Saw him on tour twice and can't say anyone else has changed the way I think about twirling during songs. I thought it was stupid until I saw him do it.
Also, the guy played upside down and blew my mind.

Drummers are the most visually exciting members of the group because of the whole-body involvement in playing. I have long made my sets as low as possible to contribute to giving the audience a good show; many drummers put toms and cymbals up high, as though to intentionally block themselves from the audience. I don't get it.

This might also have something to do with the guys you refer to often being session players. If that's the case, they're hired to play the songs, not to provide the visual entertainment. If you're part of the backing band for a solo artist, the main focus should be on the guy whose name is on the gig poster.

But take a look at guys like Thomas Lang, Marco Minneman and Virgil Donati. Definitely technical monsters who can play chop cirlces (hah!) around just about anyone, but when they get to do their own thing, they still pull out the stick tricks and flair. Like Thomas Lang himself says; he does this because it's called "show business" and he wants to put on a great show.

That's a good point. We ARE in show business and unless your there solely for backing then stick twirling can surely only be a good thing?

I think too many drummers flatter themselves into thinking drumming just looks cool. so does playing guitar but that doesn't stop the guitarists going for it.
So many drummers just look at their feet all the way through the show. It looks terrible.

Even just smiling is showmanship, eye contact with bandmates or the audience. Those strange 'pretendy' conversations bandmates have with each other while being drowned out by their own playing or simply over exagerating a hit.
Stick twirling and throwing etc is just the more technical side of showmanship and some people turn their noses up at it the same way they do at the guys doing one hand rolls, doubles with their feet and polymeters etc

It's great stuff. I wish I could spin my sticks round all my fingers like Thomas Lang without missing a beat or uppercuts a cymbals while spinning it like Virgil Donati without the stick flying out my hands.

We're not all extroverts but, in showbusiness the performers are the best to watch. Not everyone watching the drummer is a drummer or cares how tastefull those ghosts were.

A cherub from Kennewick, Washington by the name of Issac Carpenter. Look up videos on YouTube from his days with his first band, Loudermilk.
He also plays for Adam Lambert now.
...and don't forget Duff McKagen's Loaded, where he replaced Geoff Reading (childhood chum of mine).

A s a viewer I like to see a little flourish here and there - the Shannon Larkin reference was a good example. But,that is as much about energy as it is showing off.

While watching the Zoltan Chaney vid posted above I was inspired to not want to watch more because for me it crossed the line into circus performer. He also distracted from the mood of the song with all his bouncing around behind the kit. Not my cup of tea.

I'm a Keith Moon guy for sure ......

there is a young kid named Luke Holland who is a hell of an entertainer

Yes, he looks good, a bit like Jimmy K who I think is even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zV60zXRrE. I find any player with a great groove will look good.

In more modern jazz, Brian Blade is great visually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNaQub7Gru0. Love watching Elvin play too.

Stick tricks go back to the beginning of drum set history.

Gene Krupa,
Papa Jo Jones
... Buddy

Spirit and passion with the bonus of great skill - great to see and hear. Gene tearing it up in Drum Boogie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjQzSwmEHw

@ Ian - yeah, Cozy always looked good behind the kit. He had real dramatic flair.

buddy...

like a dog who REALLY liked how he was being scratched

so honest

Back