Noob questions.

There is a lot of variability in many cymbals per series and size.-the ride may sound great at 21 in but an 18 in terrible. You really have to spend time with a cymbal to evaluate it-espeically if it isn't a one dimenstional crash or something. If you try it in store it depends on stick you use and is cymbal on stand with large felts and top cranked down stifling the sound? I use small bottom felt and nothing on top so it sings. The same with top hi hat cymbal-don't stifle it tightening it where it can't move.

The heads and accessories are due to arrive Friday. I pulled the old heads this afternoon and cleaned up the rings and hardware, noting only one missing washer from a tension lug screw. Not too bad and readily available in stainless. The fasteners that retain the lug receivers and bass drum stabilizer legs were pretty loose. A few were actually barely finger tight. Everything has been carefully snugged and tidied up. I did measure the drum shells for out of round for the sake of argument and all were within a millimeter, so...pretty durned round, and all shells sat with stability on a level surface against their bearing surfaces. I acquired two free damping pillows that were hiding in the bass drum that share a very similar funky aroma that I cannot quite place nor have the inclination to more carefully categorize than "Eau de Olde Sofa" with subtle notes of beer and sleeping dog.

Back