Noob questions.

I've been listening to different cymbals more carefully and there are more distinctions to the sounds that I had ever realized.
The local consensus around here is: cymbals get spending priority #1. Drums are #2.

This is largely because a poor sounding cymbal isn't worth hitting, and makes the music/recreation less enjoyable. Conversely, a beautiful sounding cymbal brings enjoyment and musicality to the kit.

Whereas, a used 4-piece (bass, snare, mounted tom, floor tom) with round shells and intact bearing edges can sound very good with proper heads & tuning. Later, after climbing the learning curve for a season, you can decide whether or not to upgrade anything.

The other thing that struck me was evaluating the sound of a cymbal by itself versus how it nests in the mix of the kit while played.
Choosing a cymbal really is kind of a gamble, even if trying one out in person. It may not be a matter of tone or pitch, it might be that, to your ear, a particular cymbal doesn't mix well with the sound of your kit.

The lesson seems to be to listen and evaluate and the choice is personal. Also, the first kit is not the end all kit. This purchase is an entry point.
True and possibly true.

Thanks. I'm looking at a Pearl Export shell kit from a local fellow in the next couple of days. As far as cymbals go, other than the high-hat and a decent ride, it is all clatter to my ears...but maybe I've just not heard the right cymbals yet.
Exports will serve you just fine. And if cymbals ain't your thing ..... you do you. Get some nice hats and a ride, and call it a day. That means you only need a hi-hat stand, and 1 cymbal stand. Hopefully the Export kit comes with hardware (or some).
I just got off the phone with a friend I haven't played with for 20 years and picked his brain a bit. I liked the sound of his kit in general and he noted that at the time, he was using darker cymbals and heads that he had purchased as an experiment, but didn't like so much. I really dug them. To each their own, I suppose.
Indeed, you write your own prescription here;) If you like dark, there are a lot of options out there. All the major cymbal houses make dark lines.

Head choices, again, you're own taste determines what you do. Start off with whatever heads come with the kit. The kit may have all Ambassadors on it, and you want a more muffled sound. You can do that. Or, it may come with all Pinstripes on it, and you want a more open sound. You can do that, also.

Will await you update.

Do you know what configuration you want? The traditional 1 or 2 toms up on the bass drum and a floor tom?

Do you know what configuration you want? The traditional 1 or 2 toms up on the bass drum and a floor tom?
I'm thinking to run the traditional 2 toms up with a floor tom, but someone I respect from the elder days ran his big ride in place of the second RH tom above the bass drum, so the option is open. I'm coming into this fairly clean, so I don't have any preset preferences. The last time I played drums, I hit the snare on an amp stand with a left foot kick and the bass drum with a right foot kick while standing on phone books and playing bass. My plan is to set up and experiment and then try to settle into something long enough to become comfortable enough to evaluate the results. My guess is that the most traditional setup is likely the best start. I want to be able to play the drums as an instrument, not a novelty accoutrement. I am even open to handedness at this point. As a younger fellow, I was a mechanic with carpal tunnel problems, so it was not unheard of to be left or right handed depending on the even or oddness of the year. I know a right handed fellow that plays open left. I know a left handed fellow that plays closed right. I don't know enough to say where I am right now until I have sticks and kit. The plan is to try something new for me. I love bass. I play bass. I love bari sax. I play bari sax. I love drums...no drums yet.

I’d also check out Reverb and Guitar Center Used dept. (have them ship to your nearest store to hopefully prevent damage).

I'm thinking to run the traditional 2 toms up with a floor tom, but someone I respect from the elder days ran his big ride in place of the second RH tom above the bass drum, so the option is open. I'm coming into this fairly clean, so I don't have any preset preferences. The last time I played drums, I hit the snare on an amp stand with a left foot kick and the bass drum with a right foot kick while standing on phone books and playing bass. My plan is to set up and experiment and then try to settle into something long enough to become comfortable enough to evaluate the results. My guess is that the most traditional setup is likely the best start. I want to be able to play the drums as an instrument, not a novelty accoutrement. I am even open to handedness at this point. As a younger fellow, I was a mechanic with carpal tunnel problems, so it was not unheard of to be left or right handed depending on the even or oddness of the year. I know a right handed fellow that plays open left. I know a left handed fellow that plays closed right. I don't know enough to say where I am right now until I have sticks and kit. The plan is to try something new for me. I love bass. I play bass. I love bari sax. I play bari sax. I love drums...no drums yet.
When I resumed playing two years ago I went open handed (as a righty with the kit set up as a traditionally right-handed kit) and it's been great for me.

Here's a couple that should be pretty close to where you're at:
You'd want to replace the cymbals, but they could get you started under budget.

It may end up being the way. My seller has gone radio silent and I am not the type to pester. This quest may end up taking some time. If I end up regrouping and heading towards CL, I suspect things will go downhill quickly. I've tried on six occasions to purchase things through CL and none of them have ever come close to coming through. Maybe 7th time is the charm.

Last edited:
I also am i the camp of spending money on a good cymmbal

and take your time to really listen before you buy.

this is a GREAY place to start. Grab a set of good headphones,, a beverage, and somme free time, and clikc on any of the cymbals. There will be a video of somemone playin the cymbal i many different ways

I spend a lot of tiem just listening to cymbs that I am not even goign to buy just beccasue

I also am i the camp of spending money on a good cymmbal

and take your time to really listen before you buy.

this is a GREAY place to start. Grab a set of good headphones,, a beverage, and somme free time, and clikc on any of the cymbals. There will be a video of somemone playin the cymbal i many different ways

I spend a lot of tiem just listening to cymbs that I am not even goign to buy just beccasue
Very cool. Thank you.

It may end up being the way. My seller has gone radio silent and I am not the type to pester. This quest may end up taking some time. If I end up regrouping and heading towards CL, I suspect things will go downhill quickly. I've tried on six occasions to purchase things through CL and none of them have ever come close to coming through. Maybe 7th time is the charm.
Craigslist sellers are "hungry" right now. Don't get discouraged. Depending on what that kit's price was ...... here's a Pearl Export ..... on Reverb ..... that the seller will ship ..... for $405 ..... OBO.

And as cbphoto mentioned ..... Guitar Center used. I've bought 2 kits off them. Excellent results. Open your search to other brands, (Tama, Yamaha, Mapex, Gretsch, Ludwig, etc.) ..... you'll no doubt find a decent kit, at a decent price. And don't be in a rush. There are a ton of used kits out there.

Last edited:
Update. The seller has squared up the meet time and it is on. He has some B8 14" hi-hats and a 20" Zildjian A ride that I haven't made a decision on. After hearing a bunch of 15" hi-hats and larger rides that tickled my fancy a bit more, I may continue to shop on it. The price for the 3 cymbals seems pretty reasonable for used items, but all the same, that cash could go towards used "something else". I am very solidly in the "dunno" camp.

Update. The seller has squared up the meet time and it is on. He has some B8 14" hi-hats and a 20" Zildjian A ride that I haven't made a decision on. After hearing a bunch of 15" hi-hats and larger rides that tickled my fancy a bit more, I may continue to shop on it. The price for the 3 cymbals seems pretty reasonable for used items, but all the same, that cash could go towards used "something else". I am very solidly in the "dunno" camp.
B8 hats will sound on the brighter side of the spectrum. That's not a bad thing, just a characteristic of B8. The Zildjian A might sound quite nice depending on what you like. At least give them a listen.

For an overview of (nearly) all flavors cymbal-wise maybe visit the Paiste website:

They present all their cymbals in all sizes with a set of very consistent audio examples there. Also Paiste is very consistent sound-wise (unlike other manufacturers), so what you hear generally is what you buy.

Pass on the hats, but possibly pick up the ride depending on the year and price. A 20" A Ride can be a great middle-of-the-road workhorse. It probably won't be on the darker end of the spectrum unless its older and light.

As always, give it a tap.

Alrightee. The Pearl Export shell kit was in fairly rough shape, so I went with a used/barely used Pearl Forum 5 piece kit. The original heads were still on the shells and some didn't look like they've ever been struck. Tama double braced hi-hat stand with 14" Zildjian ZXT cymbals. Pearl double braced stand with Zildjian 20" A ride from the late 1970's. Ludwig kick pedal in like new shape. 4 assorted, double braced snare stands (I needed a few for my girlfriend, Discountess Bassy, who plays the hand pan and related instruments). The only thing I didn't get a chance to grab was the throne, but the fellow who I was dealing with needed to check another storage area in the next couple of days, so that should be handled soonly. All said and done, $450. I have the option of playing for a bit and making a decision on the cymbals, as there were others he'd be willing to swap around if need be. I tried to do some head shopping at the local music store, but ran into the same trouble I had trying to deal with them over the last thirty years (not the trouble where they offer 1/4 value for trade-ins) which was spending thirty minutes locating a sales rep and prying him away from his employee exclusive circle jerk to make a commission. Pointing across a large store to a shelf and telling me to find someone if I needed a ladder to grab anything (I'm 6'5" for reference purposes)...I would have needed a ladder, had I stayed and bought anything. In any case, I'll be spending some money on sticks and heads somewhere after I settle into the kit a bit.

Being a total noob, I realized I don't even know what sticks to choose. I did spend some time today listening to various head options and have something in mind already of which I am digging the sound.

Seconded. If you haven't liked most of the cymbals you've heard, I doubt you're going to like the B8s.
The B8's were gone when I got there anyway. I ended up going with 14" Zildjian ZXT...at least for now.

Back