Nicko McBrain Recovering from Stroke -- Rocking Wacken This Weekend

Son of Vistalite Black

Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain (72) has revealed that he suffered a stroke back in January.

McBrain issued a written statement and posted a video message via Iron Maiden’s website, informing fans that he was temporarily paralyzed on his right side. He has mostly recovered but is still not at 100%, despite performing with Maiden on their summer European dates, which conclude with a Friday (August 4th) set at Germany’s Wacken Open Air festival.

The drummer’s full statement reads as follows:

“I hope this message finds you all well!

The reason I’m writing to you all today is to let you know of a very serious health problem that I have been through. In January I had a stroke, thank the Lord it was a minor one referred to as a TIA. It left me paralyzed on my right side from my shoulder on down, of course I was very worried that my career was over but with the love and support from my wife, Rebecca and family, my doctors, especially Julie my OT (Occupational Therapist), and my Maiden family I was able to bounce back to somewhere near 70% recovered. After 10 weeks of intense therapy it was almost time to start rehearsals for our tour.

I feel it’s important to let you know about this now instead of earlier as I was mainly concerned with doing my job and concentrating on getting back to 100% fitness. I’m not there yet but by the grace of God I’m getting better and stronger as the weeks go by."

Son of Vistalite Black and Son saw McBrain with Maiden in February 2022. Fantastic playing from our vantage in The Pit.

I'm glad he's doing as well as he is!

Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain (72) has revealed that he suffered a stroke back in January.

McBrain issued a written statement and posted a video message via Iron Maiden’s website, informing fans that he was temporarily paralyzed on his right side. He has mostly recovered but is still not at 100%, despite performing with Maiden on their summer European dates, which conclude with a Friday (August 4th) set at Germany’s Wacken Open Air festival.

The drummer’s full statement reads as follows:

“I hope this message finds you all well!

The reason I’m writing to you all today is to let you know of a very serious health problem that I have been through. In January I had a stroke, thank the Lord it was a minor one referred to as a TIA. It left me paralyzed on my right side from my shoulder on down, of course I was very worried that my career was over but with the love and support from my wife, Rebecca and family, my doctors, especially Julie my OT (Occupational Therapist), and my Maiden family I was able to bounce back to somewhere near 70% recovered. After 10 weeks of intense therapy it was almost time to start rehearsals for our tour.

I feel it’s important to let you know about this now instead of earlier as I was mainly concerned with doing my job and concentrating on getting back to 100% fitness. I’m not there yet but by the grace of God I’m getting better and stronger as the weeks go by."

Son of Vistalite Black and Son saw McBrain with Maiden in February 2022. Fantastic playing from our vantage in The Pit.

He's only 71 years old...
:)

He's been on tour for the past few months too. Absolute trooper (sorry had to get a maiden pun in)

Did see some tour vids saying that he'd simplified his drum parts. Well that explains it. Ian Paice had one a few years back and he's still going.

TIAs are more common than you think. We had a singer who had one in his late 20s/early 30s.

*sigh*

He's only 71 years old...
:)
Everyone gets old, 71 and still playing, he has had a great run. at some point you have to accept that you are old.
I don't think a new generation would appreciate much seeing a "simplified" version of Maiden because they can't do it anymore... besides, who wants to see their grandpa risking his health?
Running joke was that the queen was probably immortal, but she too died..
I think if he hangs the towel now, no one is going to lose respect for him. he had a 50+ years career? better than 90% of bands out there.

When we say "simplified" I saw a few comparison videos and it was very close to splitting hairs, he's such a busy drummer that even the smallest number of ammended fills are noticed, let's hope he gets back to full health and plays as he always has.
This does hit close to home, I'm struggling with a frozen shoulder and attendant complications which mean even a single stroke roll is difficult/off limits, compounded by me becoming mentally gun shy. I've adapted parts, play one handed at times and spoken to drummers post gig that never noticed.
I'm a lot younger than Nicko and I'm not looking to pack it in anytime soon.

Back