Nick Mason

I love that Nick is now doing the old Syd Barrett and early post Syd stuff with none of that worldwide hits nonsense ;) That Spandau Ballet singer kicks ass on it. Guy Pratt, of course, is the man, too.

View attachment 130790

Nick Mason bought his 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO
in 1977 for $37,000 - it's now worth around
$70 million. Not a bad investment.…

A story behind that Ferrari is that he put itup as collateral so Pink Floyd could borrow money for the A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, it was a 198 show schedule from September 1987 to June 1990, and there was massive doubt that they could make it a financial success. It was, he kept his car and it paid more than its' way.
Also it has appreciated massively in value but 37k in 1977 was still a LOT of money.

Any job can become work, even a dream job.
B-Real from Cypress Hill talked about this in length when on a podcast. Said that while what he did enjoy his music & what he could create, it was still a job he had to take seriously. Mainly because he knew there was another young kid in the wings waiting to step in.

I can see how Nick would feel when you're having to grind it out as best you can day after day. I remember my studio experiences & can say that at the end of the day, I was pretty tired. Mainly from being "on" all the time & then sitting & waiting until you're needed again.

It was a fun job, but still a job.

This footage of Pink Floyd live in 1975 has just recently emerged online. Apologies if it was posted elsewhere, I couldn’t see it.

It’s worth watching all the way through for anyone who likes their music: the live versions are really interesting & quite aggressive compared to the studio recordings.

And for the record, Nick plays his double bass drums quite obviously throughout.

:)

Back