New kick head, patch or no patch?

BruceW

What's the consensus? Do you folks put a patch for where the beater hits on a new kick drum batter head, wait till you've used it a while to extend its life, or wait till its gonna break if you don't.

I've usually kept a patch in the gig bag, "just in case", but figured I'd see what y'all do. Putting a new head on next week.

I dont want to form a dent and I find the Falam patch a little too thick. I starting making my own by cutting a small circle from an old used Ambassador head. I currently have one cut from a Suede Ambassador head on a clear PS3.

I put one on before I play a single note.

With wood beathers, sometimes it's not enough. The Remo Falam patch with Kevlar is stronger than the Evans plastic patch.

index.php

No patch and felt beater, if I was to use plastic beaters, I would put a patch. That’s true that skins are really expensive those days, I may consider an EQ patch.

Very cool... I was thinking much the same, but thought it worth the time to see what other did.
Thanks
Not a bad question. In the old days when bass drum heads were under $30 I’d play without a patch because I liked that sound. Then covid happened and everything is expensive now I have to make it last 😕

I always put an Evans EQ patch or Aquarian Super Patch on every bass drum head. Those thinner, lighter patches don't change the sound of the head but now I don't have to worry about denting a bass drum head.

I always put an Evans EQ patch or Aquarian Super Patch on every bass drum head. Those thinner, lighter patches don't change the sound of the head but now I don't have to worry about denting a bass drum head.
Always a patch. And the thinner the better. They flex with the head. I recently experimented with a small circle cut out of a plastic milk jug and covered with three straps of Gorilla Gaffer Tape. Seems to work well with an old PS4 head that's on its way out. Gorilla Tape is awesome!

Back