New challenges

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Last year I started experimenting with open handed drumming. Recently I decided to add some more variants to the mix. I play through the same list of simple songs at slower tempos in the following formats

1. Normally
2. Open handed
3. Open handed with hats locked closed and left foot playing kick (slave bass drum pedal)
4. No left hand (like El Estepario)
5. Left hand on percussion to the left of hats
6. Left foot playing hihat pedal, free hands play other instruments
7. No right hand
8. Right hand on percussion on right side of kit

Substitute “left” with “right” if you play a left handed setup.

I am finding this to be an interesting and rewarding way to practice, it’s showing up in my playing in surprising ways.

I wanted to ask - what else can I do?

Last edited:
3 tweaked: Right foot playing hi-hat but not locked, (left foot playing kick). Might need a remote HH pedal unless you re-arrange the kit a lot.

Remote HH pedal was a lot less money than I expected (as I guess there's not much demand) & was using an electronic kick which was small & easy to put where I wanted it (unlike an acoustic kick).

I've only done 1 and 3 (but I'm only playing basic stuff). I did 3 when my right foot was injured & played that way (nothing live) for a few months & was surprised how quick you can adapt, (if only all new stuff was as quick to pick up!).

I've only tried switching my hands in an effort to develop my weak hand (and to help with coordination). This was about 10 years ago. I didn't see any value in changing the landscape of the instrument (with exception to adding a cymbal - I didn't see value in adding a hihat to my right because the current hihat placement - conventional drumset layout - is still reachable by both hands).

Besides improved strength and endurance in my weak hand, I developed new stickings around the kit, including LH-leading versions of old grooves of which the 16th note hihat groove was a bit different/special to me. Drum composition can include not just the written part, but the sticking as well.

But the goal was never to try and play every groove with either hand leading. There's just too much material (styles and compositions) to learn with a good solid dominant hand setup. I'm of the mindset that all live music including drumset playing should sound organic and human. This is what gives us our unique style and sound.

Last edited:
I wanted to ask - what else can I do?
Going with your general theme, maybe sometimes setting up your kit (heights and angles) radically different--always in way that is still technically "proper," but nonetheless challenges your muscle memory and/or forces you to get more efficient making larger movements (common example: china that you need to reach a bit behind you to reach).

Here's a good example of what I was talking about; enter Xavier Ware chopping out on a haphazard kit in a pawn shop.

Super awkward setup but that hardly matters to him. Imagine if all of his practice time was on some meticulously ergonomic home setup, with the toms all neatly lined up in a row, angled just right, with just enough vertical space above the snare to hit the rims and nothing more... you certainly wouldn't see him posting videos like this in that case.

Back