Need help with cymbals

Tank322

Ok so ive been playing for roughly 2 years now and i still have the beginner cymbals that came with my tama swingstar and it took 2 years to break my ride(its starting to crack) and now im having a hard time deciding on what to do. should i just buy a b8pro ride or pst5 ride hcs ride etc...for now and then keep saving up for pro line cymbals or just keep saving for pro line cymbals the thing is i kinda wanted to buy all my new cymbals at the same time. like i wanted to buy a byzance cymbal pack or a A custom or hhx cymbal pack. also i dont have any money at the moment due to the purchase of new heads and my cell phone bill, so it will take a while for me to save up money for pro line cymbals which was why i was thinking of just buying a new ride to buy time to save up money, any help given i appreciate it

I would recommend what is often suggested to virtually all the other guys in your situation when they ask this question: Buy used. You can get pro quality for much less than you would pay at the store. Check your local Craigslist and of course eBay.

On eBay you can also find sweet deals on new stuff. I found a Sabian HHX Evolution box set with hats, crash, ride, and Ozone crash for about $500 off the list price on eBay because that particular box set was discontinued.

I would not settle for the slight upgrade to B8 or PST5 unless what you have is absolutely unplayable right now.

You could buy used pro cymbals or if you need them NOW then get entry level cymbals that don't actually sound bad. XS20's immediately come to mind because they're cheap and sound very, very good regardless of price.

good luck
xoxo

Youd be amazed what deals you can get on even new stuff. In pretty much every shop in the UK the 21" zildjian armand ride is about £270-280... and on ebay about £250 is the norm.

I found one online ebay seller, that had new ones for £205. Seemed a bit dodgy, but a week later, its here, its real, its 100% authentic and brand new, and for almost 2/3rds the retail price.

So hunt around, get some good deals, and if need be, go used.

Maybe you could check out Stagg cymbals, I recently got an 8" Myra series splash and a 17" Furia series crash, I've tried them next to top of the line Zildjian cymbals, and I like them a lot more in my opinion. They are pro level, hand hammered, B20 cymbals, like the higher lines of the biggest cymbal companies, but for less than half the price. And while there are rumors of them breaking easily, the SH and DH lines might break easier for a hard-hitter, but the stronger lines have been holding up very well, they are as good as new, not even a small dent. And remember to try out as many cymbals as you can, they all sound VERY different, even in the same size and model.

Fox.

Last edited:
if you should decide on the Xs20's..... I got a new 4-pack (14's,16,20) off ebay for $379 delivered plus they threw in 2 pair of el cheapo sticks. Price was about $60-80 under most of the others on ebay for the same......

Maybe you could check out Stagg cymbals, I recently got an 8" Myra series splash and a 17" Furia series crash, I've tried them next to top of the line Zildjian cymbals, and I like them a lot more in my opinion. They are pro level, hand hammered, B20 cymbals, like the higher lines of the biggest cymbal companies, but for less than half the price. And while there are rumors of them breaking easily, the SH and DH lines might break easier for a hard-hitter, but the stronger lines have been holding up very well, they are as good as new, not even a small dent. And remember to try out as many cymbals as you can, they all sound VERY different, even in the same size and model.

Fox.
ok i also look into stagg cymbals thanks for all the help keep it coming

Well I think the first thing you need to figure out is what you want out of your cymbals. After that, try some out at a store or somethin'. Then look online for used once you have it pinned down.

well i i struck a little more luck and my friend gave me his zbt ride for free so i am now going to save up for cymbals, i still dont know what cymbals i want but im just trying to save up for them. my birthday is coming up soon and i was thinking of asking for a new ride =)

You can get alot of professional rides on ebay for around £150
and if you want hi hats i've seen some paiste alphas going for £110

what sound do you want out of your cymbals?
eg. dark,bright,warm,medium dark/bright.
and of course with a ride you can decide how much stick definition and overtones you want.

You can get alot of professional rides on ebay for around £150
and if you want hi hats i've seen some paiste alphas going for £110

what sound do you want out of your cymbals?
eg. dark,bright,warm,medium dark/bright.
and of course with a ride you can decide how much stick definition and overtones you want.

im looking for a medium dark and bright cymbal. ive been looking into sabian hhx and really like the sound of them and there described as modern dark, my band plays heavy rock and some metal but we also play softer songs so i want cymbals that can fit into multiple situations. my local music store told me to look into sabain apx and xs20s, because of their quality and price. they might not be classified as dark but i think its still worth looking into. but for my ride i really really like the meinl sand ride, as of right now thats the ride i want, and for high hats i really love the dark high hats from meinl as well

Last edited:
Back