Need a better solution to lugging stands

I bought a set of the Tama Roadpro single brace hardware pack for a whopping £180 brand new 4/5 years back. It comes with a soft bag.

I put an extra boom arm clamp for my ride in, floor tom legs and bass drum mount in. Doesn't weigh that much at all.

Pearl also did a bag set for the midtown kit. The tom bag is designed for all the toms and snare but I fit my toms in there just fine (12/14). Why this idea hasn't caught on I don't know.

What worked for me was two fold, The bag with built in wheels (doesn't have to be trap set specific, they're out there for any activity and lighter stands. I went from double braced various mfgs to Tama Classics, which I know will not work for everyone. Saved me about 15 lbs.

Those DW 9000 stands weigh an absolute ton! (I know this because I have 3 of those stands). For a hi-hat stand, you really don't need anything too beefy IMO.

Maybe some kind of expandable/inflatable stand you pump up to 3-5k psi with a hand pump like my .357 pellet gun. That would be cool but since so light you would need a wide supporting base

Anyone seen Titanium or Carbon Fiber Hardware?...I know the Price would be insane but imagine the weight savings...and the stiffness of the resulting hardware could be really interesting.

Now I wanna try out an Axis Pedal CF (that would be carbon fiber)

One thing my old Rogers kit taught me was the value of cymbal stands mounted on the bass drum (it came with two of them). Bring along two light straight stands and that's plenty of cymbals. I liked the idea so much that I used an INDe suspension mount to fly a cymbal L-arm off of the 18" bass drum on my bop kit. Definitely lightens the load.

IMG_0165.jpeg

I feel like drum racks are competitive here. Mine is made of aluminum and nylon, feels like it has more bang per pound. Maybe a little more difficult to setup.

One thing my old Rogers kit taught me was the value of cymbal stands mounted on the bass drum (it came with two of them). Bring along two light straight stands and that's plenty of cymbals. I liked the idea so much that I used an INDe suspension mount to fly a cymbal L-arm off of the 18" bass drum on my bop kit. Definitely lightens the load.

View attachment 119456
I use a similar setup w/my Ludwig Club Date (reissue), have a DW bass-mounted cymbal stand (which eliminates 1 other full cymbal stand).

That would cope with stairs too, I guess?
A few steps, like 2-3. Any more than that and the duffel bag straps or bucket handle come into play. My last band only regularly played one venue with any steps. All the restaurants were ADA compliant with nice, long ramps.

You have to take it as it comes - I have a mini-van so there's room for a furniture dolly and a hand truck, or maybe even drive right up to the stage sometimes to unload, then park somewhere else.

I feel like drum racks are competitive here. Mine is made of aluminum and nylon, feels like it has more bang per pound. Maybe a little more difficult to setup.
Sidebar- could you post some details/pics, or have you already, in a different thread? :)

I bought the Yamaha crosstown stands and am happy with them. They're much lighter than most, and don't tip over even though I have 2 attachment arms for other cymbals on each of them. I mount my toms on the bass drum when gigging to reduce the amount of stands needed.
+1 for the cross towns....this was the biggest change for me ever.

The whole set of hardware (cymbal stands, hats) all weigh less than my throne.

Best move ever. Had them for a couple years now and they've proven themselves extremely road worthy.

I have the rock & roller cart too and while it's super compact - I HATE HATE HATE the way it opens and closes - that stupid having to squeeze thing is such a pain. There had to be some better way of collapsing those arms.

Back