My placement sucks

JimmyM

Diamond Member
Trying not to be too hard on myself since I've only had the full kit assembled since Friday night, but while I'm trying to be ergonomic about everything since I'm old and have to be ergonomic, I'm not feeling this placement.

IMG_0272.JPG

Pardon the hole in the seat but it was only $35 and I can get a cover :D My main issue is the distance between the rack and floor tom. If I raise my rack tom and the rims of it and the snare drum aren't that close, I'm all about shells and rims on rolls. In my previous drummer life, I got around it by sitting way above my drums and an extreme angle on the rack, but with the recommended 90-100 degree angles for your legs, it's not so easy to line them up, and I created lots of dentage in the tom head sp I'm trying to keep the angle more reasonable now. That means my floor tom is in a really bad place since I like to scrunch drums up as close together as humanly possible. I'd like to get the rack tom closer to the center of the bass drum, but again, shells and rims.

Also trying to tweak cymbal placement and haven't got there yet, but the main issue is the rack and floor toms vs shells and rims. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Well, the rack tom is extremely low. Just by tilting it so much you're not hitting the head at an optimal angle, whch is as flat as possible.

I'd just set up the bd and hats where they feel natural, then add the snare and when that works you add everything in piece by piece.

I get having things close, but you want to put stuff where it's naturally comfortable and you can hit it blindly even if that means moving something a few inches away.

Height difference between hats and snare is big. Since you say you have the drums low many lift everything up a bit. Are your hands clearing your things?

Last edited:
Well, the rack tom is extremely low. Just by tilting it so much you're not hitting the head at an optimal angle, whch is as flat as possible.

I'd just set up the bd and hats where they feel natural, then add the snare and when that works you add everything in piece by piece.

I get having things close, but you want to put stuf where it's naturally cmofortable and you can hit it blindly even if that means moving something a few inches away.

Height difference between hats and snare is big. Since you say you have the drums low many lift everything up a bit. Are your hands clearing your things?
That last question's a little bit personal, don't you think?

:D

So I went in there and did a lot of things you recommended. Brought myself and the drums up a little higher (I think I'm a little higher on the seat than a 100 degre angle between hips and knees but it feels fine to me so far). I also took more angle out of the rack and brought it in closer, and raised the floor tom. The reach is easier to deal with now, at least it was when air drumming (can't play right now). Still don't have the cymbals 100% to my liking, but I did move the hats out a bit and placed myself a little better at the double pedal.

I can see that a couple smaller toms and bass drum are on my horizon, and I need to put together a bop kit soon anyway for small stages. I'm with you about the bass drum, though I think I could tolerate an 18" with a bassy head and a deep enough shell. I'm still a good couple months away from doing anything for money on drums, and these drums will be fine in case I land something, but you know how it goes.

I'm 6' 3" so I can't help you from experience. Maybe some of our shorter drummers can help you out? I just can't see a solution with your seat that low.

I get having things close, but you want to put stuff where it's naturally comfortable and you can hit it blindly even if that means moving something a few inches away.

I'm 6' 3" so I can't help you from experience. Maybe some of our shorter drummers can help you out? I just can't see a solution with your seat that low.
I'm not exactly short...5' 11". Short to you, I guess.

Anyway, I did take the advice given, and just took a pic and it does feel a lot better to me...I think it'll be much closer to my goal. Thanks to the both of you!

IMG_0275.JPG

Jump into the 'your gear' forum - endless pics of other peoples set ups for ideas.
As an example - mine below - I have my rack and snare in a line like you, but they are further across the bd so the distance from rack to floor is reduced. My rack tom is mounted on the cymbal stand and coming in left to right as opposed to yours mounted on the bd and going out to the left (as you look) - you could give that a go. The bottom rim of my RT is just high enough to not hit the bd , the rt and snare are millimeters apart. Bottom of the snare to bd hoop - edge of the ride to rt - are all as close as poss without touching (allowing for bounce/swing.)Tuck everything in as tight as it'll go and you minimise the movements needed to hit it all.
Also if you draw a line through the middle of my throne-snare-rack, my bd is to the right of it ,you have your throne and middle of bd centred and snare and rack off to the left. It has the effect of rotating your torso slightly left adding to the movement needed to reach round to your ft.

Not at all saying my way is right and yours is wrong - everybody's different.
Just suggesting things you could try. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_E3369.JPG
    IMG_E3369.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 24
Jump into the 'your gear' forum - endless pics of other peoples set ups for ideas.
As an example - mine below - I have my rack and snare in a line like you, but they are further across the bd so the distance from rack to floor is reduced. My rack tom is mounted on the cymbal stand and coming in left to right as opposed to yours mounted on the bd and going out to the left (as you look) - you could give that a go. The bottom rim of my RT is just high enough to not hit the bd , the rt and snare are millimeters apart. Bottom of the snare to bd hoop - edge of the ride to rt - are all as close as poss without touching (allowing for bounce/swing.)Tuck everything in as tight as it'll go and you minimise the movements needed to hit it all.
Also if you draw a line through the middle of my throne-snare-rack, my bd is to the right of it ,you have your throne and middle of bd centred and snare and rack off to the left. It has the effect of rotating your torso slightly left adding to the movement needed to reach round to your ft.

Not at all saying my way is right and yours is wrong - everybody's different.
Just suggesting things you could try. (y)
Actually, a setup like yours is right up my alley, and I think I got fairly close in my last pic. Still not 100% there, but much better than it was. I wish my rack tom was an inch shallower so I could move it closer toward the center of the BD and not jack it up too high, but this is a lot better already.

Ignore the placement of the seat, BTW. That's just where it ended up when I got up.

Well we're all different but as the above really. Move the tom up and over the centre of BD more. Move the floor tom out to the right a bit, flatten the ride and move it over the BD a bit....you'll feel it when it all comes together. Couple of other tips. Move the hats so the screw is on ur side and close the gap a bit.

From the second pic you posted, it looks like you are centering your throne based off the kick placement, i would angle that kick to the right and get the snare centered between your legs then work on the rest.. if you do it that way then the tom will be more to the right also and you should be able to move it up some which should help.

From the second pic you posted, it looks like you are centering your throne based off the kick placement, i would angle that kick to the right and get the snare centered between your legs then work on the rest.. if you do it that way then the tom will be more to the right also and you should be able to move it up some which should help.
Ya, that throne is just where it ended up when I got up and I didn't put it back where it's supposed to go. About to go figure that out now that I can play lightly, and see what needs to be done. Getting there. Will check out the vid as well...thx!

Ya, that throne is just where it ended up when I got up and I didn't put it back where it's supposed to go. About to go figure that out now that I can play lightly, and see what needs to be done. Getting there. Will check out the vid as well...thx!

Yeah... placement takes time, sometimes it's easier to just clear the whole space and start over from scratch.. i got a new kit like 4 months ago and i still can't get comfy at it.

Whatever works for you. I place my 10 in tom on right beside 14 in Tom with my lil Safari kit1638370006907.jpeg

Here’s what I tell my students:

Set up your throne and bass drum. Adjust your throne height/distance so that your thigh is angled slightly down towards the bass drum, as close to parallel with the ground as comfortable.

Then, hold your sticks and close your eyes. Take a couple of swings at where you would LIKE things to be (“the snare should be riiiight…HERE! And, the ride should be riiiiight…HERE!”). Move the drums and cymbals to where your mind and body would like them to be. Sometimes, it might not work out, but you can get close to what’s natural for you. Repeat this method often. As you get more and more used to drumming, you might want to switch up your setup, either because your preferences have changed, or for experimenting reasons.

Here’s what I tell my students:

Set up your throne and bass drum. Adjust your throne height/distance so that your thigh is angled slightly down towards the bass drum, as close to parallel with the ground as comfortable.

Then, hold your sticks and close your eyes. Take a couple of swings at where you would LIKE things to be (“the snare should be riiiight…HERE! And, the ride should be riiiiight…HERE!”). Move the drums and cymbals to where your mind and body would like them to be. Sometimes, it might not work out, but you can get close to what’s natural for you. Repeat this method often. As you get more and more used to drumming, you might want to switch up your setup, either because your preferences have changed, or for experimenting reasons.
I tell people to start with the “triangle” of kick, snare & hats. Get those dialed in, get the throne height dialed in. Play that way for a few weeks. Make adjustments to improve posture and comfort. Once settled, plop in a tom & ride cymbal. Don’t be surprised if the mounted tom can’t be positioned comfortably if your bass drum is off to the right. If you can’t get the tom dialed in while it’s mounted on the bass drum, use a snare stand. Place the floor tom at an angle if it helps. I’ve never had my floor toms flat/parallel to the ground.

Anyway, I did take the advice given, and just took a pic and it does feel a lot better to me...I think it'll be much closer to my goal.
Ya just gotta tweak until it's "as good as it's gonna get". I find most every kit I own, has some kind of "trade off". But in this modern era, it's sure a lot easier than it was in the days of yore. I too, generally like my toms low. So the rack usually is moved a bit more to the left side of the kick (as opposed to on top). And sure ..... it increases the distance from the rack to the floor. But I accept the trade-off to get the lower tom.

When I play a 24" or 26" kick, well, there's certainly a bit of a trade off there, too. And when I went with a kit that had power toms ..... I borrowed an idea from Abe Laboriel Jr. and Harry Miree. Got me a left footed double bass pedal ..... and moved the bass drum (24x14) way left and out of the way.15 a.jpg15 b.jpg

I tell people to start with the “triangle” of kick, snare & hats. Get those dialed in, get the throne height dialed in. Play that way for a few weeks. Make adjustments to improve posture and comfort. Once settled, plop in a tom & ride cymbal. Don’t be surprised if the mounted tom can’t be positioned comfortably if your bass drum is off to the right. If you can’t get the tom dialed in while it’s mounted on the bass drum, use a snare stand. Place the floor tom at an angle if it helps. I’ve never had my floor toms flat/parallel to the ground.

same here with this...pretty much from the Neil Peart "A Work in Progress" videos from the late 90's...and I usually have a drummer friend be the one who is placing and then tightening all of the standage

here is my current set up:

starting from the kick/snare/ "main" hi hats (the Tama pedal next to my slave bass pedal), I "built up" to the set up here. Took me about 2 hours roughly
drmz1.jpg

getting the three toms where I wanted took the longest time...and the most cussing!
drmz2.jpg

the finished product, minus the cowbell b/c I need another clamp. It oly takes me about 10 mnutes to get the cymbals where I want them b/c I never really change where they go...just minor tweaks to go with what ever drum set up I am using
drmz3.jpg

Back