My Pearl Masters BCX

iCe

Gold Member
I thought I'd just leave these here :)
Still struggling to find a sweet spot for the rocket toms, but i like them there. The downside is that the china is less accesable, so this is a temporary compromise

2020-04-17-14-00-39.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-46.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-54.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-07.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-34.jpg

What your cymbal specs, buddy?? :love:

What your cymbal specs, buddy?? :love:

A lot :sneaky:
From left to right (driver's seat position)

Zildjian 16" Oriental China Trash
Zildjian 18" K Custom Dark Crash
Zildjian 14" A New Beat Hi-hat
Zildjian 8" A Fast Splash
Zildjian 10" A Fast Splash
Stack: bottom is a Zildjian 10" Oriental China Trash (bell side up) with a Paiste 10" PSTX Swiss Splash
Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride
Zildjian 13" A New Beat Hi-Hat
Zildjian 19" K Dark Thin Crash
Stack: bottom is a Meinl 12" Generation-X Filter China (bell side up) with a Paiste 14" PSTX Flanger Crash (this stack is golden!)
Paiste 20" 2002 Novo China

That's nice. This kit was a close contender when I was looking for my first decent kit a few years ago. Not quite that large a set up(!) though. Your placement of everything looks great to me. Any videos of it in action?

Ps, what's the snare?

Reactions: iCe
What a sweet looking kit. DR-100 rack? I had one of those (27) years ago. What a work horse.

That's nice. This kit was a close contender when I was looking for my first decent kit a few years ago. Not quite that large a set up(!) though. Your placement of everything looks great to me. Any videos of it in action?

Ps, what's the snare?

It's a Pearl Limited Edition Kapur 14x6.5"
Was released in 2013 I believe and was a limited run. As soon as I heard it, I had to order one. Was available only in the US, so I had to import it.
Rocking a clear CS on it now just to try something new. Not sure if I like it or if it's back to the coated version or a coated Ambassador
EDIT: no videos at the moment, but am working on something and if i think it's good enough i might share it :)

What a sweet looking kit. DR-100 rack? I had one of those (27) years ago. What a work horse.

It's the DR-80 rack with the expansion bar. Have it since 2012 or so. Sturdy rack, but somewhat limited to what you can do with it. Can't change the height of the rack bars and the clamps only fit 7/8" pipes. Have 2 PC-7 clamps which are ideal to mount smaller stuff like the Sonor X-hat and the Meinl cymbal holder for the 12/14 stack

Beautiful finish and I like the look of the snare. Need some pics of the snare. Thanks

I will see if I can find some pics in my archive :p

Last edited:
I thought I'd just leave these here :)
Still struggling to find a sweet spot for the rocket toms, but i like them there. The downside is that the china is less accesable, so this is a temporary compromise

2020-04-17-14-00-39.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-46.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-54.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-07.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-34.jpg
That finish is simply beautiful! The color really pops and the deep-gloss clear coat makes for a very expensive, fine-furniture look. I love it.

GeeDeeEmm

That is a super nice drum set. You need more cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

Great stuff!

That was my favorite of the BCX finishes.

It's been so long since I've seen a black rack I've forgotten how well they can blend in to the kit.

oof!

So nice. Now—again—I wanna rack.

And I see a couple PST-X cymbals in the herd. My heros!

Great stuff!

That was my favorite of the BCX finishes.

It's been so long since I've seen a black rack I've forgotten how well they can blend in to the kit.

Although Pearl discontinued the series, it's nice that the page is still up. Can't believe it only had 3 finishes to choose from

The DR-80 is IMO less obtrusive then the Icon series. Downside is that it's far less adjustable, but hey... costs only half of an Icon rack hehe

oof!

So nice. Now—again—I wanna rack.

And I see a couple PST-X cymbals in the herd. My heros!

Very relatable. At one point a few years back i decided to sell the rack, but never gone through with it. With a big kit like this, a rack is more or less essential to keep everything compact. The downside of the DR-80 is that you can't lower the rack bars; the left bar that holds the rocket toms is in the exact sweet spot i want the rocket toms in, but that bar is in the way. Maybe I'll save up for a Gibraltar rack or even an Icon rack, but for now it does it's job :)

EDIT: i forgot to mention the PSTX models. Great cymbals for a cheap price! I might add the 18" Swiss Thin Crash someday, but for now these are awesome

Last edited:
Ok, so i did this amazing thing today... swapped heads. And it sounds so amazing! Rocking clear Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors on the toms and floor toms now. Nice low and phat sound, just what i was aiming for. Also put clear Pinstripe Bass on the bass drums and wow.... LOUD! Such a nice attack slappy sound. Ideal metal sound, also what i was aiming for. Changed the clear CS on the snare for a coated CS again and there is that familiar sound again. Liked to idea to experiment with sounds, but never change a winning formula :)
Just the perfect head to get a nice pop when you crank it, have a sensitive snare sound and not too much ring.

2020-05-01-14-38-19.jpg

2020-05-01-14-38-27.jpg

After this I'm pretty sure to say that I've settled with Remo. Used Evans for quite some time and Aquarian too in the past, but there's just something about that Remo sound :)

Oh and although i didn't took a pic of it; i put the rocket toms further away. More comfortable that way and on the plus side the china is lower as well.

Last edited:
Nice ! Love the set up and that finish ?. Reminds me a bit of the finish on my tama bb.
Love me some darker tone brown burst finishes. Like a fine piece of furniture ????
I’ll be in the market for new heads also and want that deep phat low end sound .1C8280AD-ECAE-454A-91A1-9C573B5203B4.jpegDBE030AE-DB0D-4377-AC81-005F6B71F43D.jpegF0CA754F-6839-4C65-998B-D0346A4976CA.jpeg353F7E07-BC91-4EDB-9ABA-B0B567874124.jpegBFD7DA85-B833-4890-84E7-1C20DF1E857A.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice ! Love the set up and that finish ?. Reminds me a bit of the finish on my tama bb.
Love me some darker tone brown burst finishes. Like a fine piece of furniture ????
I’ll be in the market for new heads also and want that deep phat low end sound

Yeah if i would get a Tama kit, that would probably be the finish i choose as well!

Back