My new book - Note Groupings and Combinations for Drumset

Thanks Todd. I appreciate it!

I tried to use this book as a "bridge" to other books. It is similar to what I did with The Level System. I wrote The Level System to introduce the accenting system (upstrokes, downstrokes, etc.) and get students ready for books like Accents and Rebounds and Master Studies. It helped students to ease into the more difficult exercises.

Regarding this book: I found that drummers would often have a difficult time jumping right into the Gary Chaffee or Rick Gratton books (with the different note combinations). I wrote Note Groupings and Combinations for Drumset to introduce the concepts and offer practical applications. From there, they can tackle the other amazing books such as Gary Chaffee's books and Rick Gratton's Rick's Licks. I actually learned the concept from Kim Plainfield. He has some really fun applications in his "Odd Ruffs" section of Advanced Concepts.

From what I wrote, some people may assume that my books are easy. They are not. They just start from the beginning stages of the concepts. From there, there are some nice challenges!

Thanks again,

Jeff

looks like I will be adding this one to my collection! Will sit right next to The Level System in my pile that my students have access to in the office! I use The Level System in compliment to my drum corps stuff as well

looks like I will be adding this one to my collection! Will sit right next to The Level System in my pile that my students have access to in the office! I use The Level System in compliment to my drum corps stuff as well
Thanks! I'm glad that you are enjoying The Level System and hope you (and your students) find this book to be useful as well!

I appreciate the support!

Jeff

Seven-note groupings over an 8th note base. The original example is played as straight eighth notes. The drumset example is swung.

For the drumset application, practice as written - Then try playing two or four measure phrases. This will allow you to use it musically within the framework of a tune.

Thanks for checking it out!

Jeff

Back