My (new) 1970's Slingerland

Juniper

Gold Member
I've posted about this kit on the general forum but humour me for a new kit thread, as I don't do these often šŸ˜‚

Picked up this 3 ply maple/polar earlier on the week to have a kit where we're currently based (my other kits are in storage in another part of the UK currently)

I've wanted this type of Slingerland for ages as a studio I used to rent in London had the same kit (in a different finish) and I fell in love with it but the owner wouldn't sell.

Came across this listed online Saturday evening, Wednesday evening I collected her. Took her out for her first session with me last night and I'm over the moon, the shells and rounded bearing edges sound amazing.

The metal plate on the top of the bass drum is to cover over a hole where the previous owner modded the kit to include a Premier tom mount. Thereā€™s another hole on the 13ā€ Tom but itā€™s covered back over with the original Slingerland bracket.

Very glad the bass drum been restored to the Slingerland as I'd like to eventually get a genuine tom bracket at some point to fit into it.

Sizes are 22x14, 13x9 & 16x16

Photos from when it was at the shop. And anyone in the UK I'd recommend checking out 'Toms Drum Shop' on Facebook who has done a wonderful job on the kit, plus the place has some amazing kits (modern and vintage) also for sale.

IMG_1035.JPGIMG_1040.JPGIMG_1037.JPGIMG_1036.JPGIMG_1041.JPGIMG_1038.JPGIMG_1041.JPGIMG_1042.JPGIMG_1043.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks all, looking forward to taking her out again at the next rehearsal in a few days!!

It's a great kit and I feel privileged to now own it.

Too bad they covered up the tom mount on the bass drum. Would have been nice to have more in the original state. The last photo appears to show a dent on the re-ring, no harm, and a splintering on the outside edge of the same ring, bearing edge. Is that a problem?

Too bad they covered up the tom mount on the bass drum. Would have been nice to have more in the original state. The last photo appears to show a dent on the re-ring, no harm, and a splintering on the outside edge of the same ring, bearing edge. Is that a problem?

We have the original owner (who decided to mod it and nearly butcher it in the process) to thank for that. No idea what they were thinking šŸ˜‚

Another +1 for the negatives of people modding drums just for the hell of it.

No issues with the dent, itā€™s away from the bearing edges and the kit is showing some wear and tear, but thatā€™s expected for a kit around 50 years old.

It sounds great, my DW is still my main/studio kit but this is fantastic as a gigging kit to leave in this part of the UK so Iā€™m not too concerned about some nips and dentsā€¦etc here and there.

The one negative I have about it is that the previous owner was obviously a smoker. Not a major thing though but inside the drums the shells smell a littleā€¦.funky.

That should change in time.

Last edited:
The kit finally has her first gig with me at the weekend.

Recently replaced all the heads on the toms, with new CS Dot batters and Ambassador resonance heads. Despite being 50 years old thanks to the great condition of the kit and its bearing edges it's really easy to quickly get (and keep) a good sound.

Shot of the kit at pre show 'production' rehearsals this evening, with my new gigging carpet that absolutely stinks of the 'brand new' smell. That thIng needs to chill out a bit with that smell.

Main snare: 14x6.5 Black Beauty
Side Snare: 14x6.5 Pearl Masters Custom Mahogany Classic (with a Big Fat Snare Drum)
All Sabian cymbals 14" HH Dark Hats, 18" AAX Xplosion Crash, 21" HH Vantage Ride & 18" HH Dark Crash

Also included in the shot? My vape pen.

IMG_1060.JPG

Last edited:
Just a second...ill take a second look after I get my SUNGLASSES!. With a rub rub here and a rub rub there wether it's tin or brass that's how we keep you in repair in the merry old land of oz. Those are the black beauties of drum world. Those drums have hidden eyes and when your asleep they fill with tears as they see what they became in loving hands. Absolutely wonderful.

Nice! Gotta love a Slingerland

Last gig of the year and a nicely placed balcony gave me me the opportunity for this shot after setup.

What a treat itā€™s been playing with this kit the last few months. Roll on 2022 and more outings for it.

0282154F-8B86-4B61-8A1F-16DBAAAEDA47.jpeg

I've posted about this kit on the general forum but humour me for a new kit thread, as I don't do these often šŸ˜‚

Picked up this 3 ply maple/polar earlier on the week to have a kit where we're currently based (my other kits are in storage in another part of the UK currently)

I've wanted this type of Slingerland for ages as a studio I used to rent in London had the same kit (in a different finish) and I fell in love with it but the owner wouldn't sell.

Came across this listed online Saturday evening, Wednesday evening I collected her. Took her out for her first session with me last night and I'm over the moon, the shells and rounded bearing edges sound amazing.

The metal plate on the top of the bass drum is to cover over a hole where the previous owner modded the kit to include a Premier tom mount. Thereā€™s another hole on the 13ā€ Tom but itā€™s covered back over with the original Slingerland bracket.

Very glad the bass drum been restored to the Slingerland as I'd like to eventually get a genuine tom bracket at some point to fit into it.

Sizes are 22x14, 13x9 & 16x16

Photos from when it was at the shop. And anyone in the UK I'd recommend checking out 'Toms Drum Shop' on Facebook who has done a wonderful job on the kit, plus the place has some amazing kits (modern and vintage) also for sale.

View attachment 106224View attachment 106228View attachment 106226View attachment 106225View attachment 106229View attachment 106227View attachment 106229View attachment 106230View attachment 106231
Cograts. sharp kit enjoy

Back