Moving with the times....

mikyok

Platinum Member
I can only speak for my squalid little patch north of France and east or Ireland but the grim reality is dawning that gigs are off for another year already.

The itch to play with other musicians and put myself out there is getting bad. I've never been a make a video or do online stuff kinda guy as it's never paid or appealed but needs must I guess!

I'm thinking of setting up a home recording rig to do online recording projects. Has anyone here had a dabble at it? Any gear recommendations?

I'm thinking of setting up a home recording rig to do online recording projects. Has anyone here had a dabble at it? Any gear recommendations?

The simplest entry point is the Yamaha EAD10.

The legacy path is to obtain two LDC's, an interface, and a DAW... For example, grab two AKG P420's, a Focusrite, and use Garageband. You would then add Dynamic mics as needed.

Example of someone using a classic sparse mic setup.

I'm looking into a home-studio rig that consists of an interface and four microphones (snare drum, bass drum, and two overheads I can position as desired). I've conducted some research but haven't pinpointed what I'll be buying. I'm interested to read the responses you get here.

Man, I prefer to let sound engineers handle this stuff. I've always seen myself as a drummer, not an audio tech. Fiddling with knobs and wires annoys me when I could just be drumming instead.

The simplest entry point is the Yamaha EAD10.

The legacy path is to obtain two LDC's, an interface, and a DAW... For example, grab two AKG P420's, a Focusrite, and use Garageband. You would then add Dynamic mics as needed.

Cool thing is I have some OK mics for live stuff that will more than do the job. It's looking like an interface for the win.

Plus getting into protools is gonna be a serious boredom breaker!

I'm looking into a home-studio rig that consists of an interface and four microphones (snare drum, bass drum, and two overheads I can position as desired). I've conducted some research but haven't pinpointed what I'll be buying. I'm interested to read the responses you get here.

Man, I prefer to let sound engineers handle this stuff. I've always seen myself as a drummer, not an audio tech. Fiddling with knobs and wires annoys me when I could just be drumming instead.

Funnily enough I was looking at the 4 channel approach too and going for the Glyn Johns approach but Behringer do an 8 channel interface that's getting great reviews and is crazy bang for buck.

8 channels will give me the option to close mic as well. I don't play more than a 5 piece anyways.

I'm very much the same with engineers, if you show up with an in tune kit that sounds good and you can play it, the engineer is your best mate. You're the engineers equivalent of a unicorn at this point :p

I think the Focusrite 18i20 is probably still the best bang for yor buck interface out there. Sounds so much better than my old analog mixer it ain't funny.

I thought for a second about getting a smaller one, but the price difference isn't much and you can easily add more channels to it.

Obviously, you'll have to learn how to use a DAW etc. If that's not for you a stand alone unit is easier.

Me too! I had someone get me all set up at my old place and when I moved 2 years ago my laptop got damaged and now I'm dead in the water with little motivation to go down that rabbit hole by myself. To top it off, my interfaces are 2 daisy-chained PreSonus Firepods and they utilize firewire connections to the computer, so it's not just a simple "plug and play", at least as far as I can tell. No one uses firewire any more.
I'm going to have to learn more about this stuff, unfortunately, if I want to get back into recording (which I do). It just sucks to have two outdated interfaces and a host of microphones sitting there useless.

Cool thing is I have some OK mics for live stuff that will more than do the job. It's looking like an interface for the win.

Just to prepare you for the aureal mind-f@#k that you are about to be introduced to....

When mic'ing for amplification, the result is the sum of disparate individual mics. You mic the kick and the snare, you mic the individual toms. You narrow-ly mic the overheads with SDCs trying to avoid errant tom/bd bleedthrough. It's analogous to a puzzle you assemble that results in a picture of a drum set.

When mic'ing for recording, the philosophy gets flipped. You have a single LDC (or stereo pair). It picks up everything. It's analogous to a black and white photo of the drumset. The other mics allow you to add color to, and bring focus to, the constituent instruments. To illustrate: Take a look at the Carter Mclean example above. Notice any dynamic mics/clips/cables?

I fully hear you about the gig itch. I didn't mind the break at first, but now it's getting redonkulous.

The EAD is the way to go.
I have one & I can do tracks at home for my recording engineer buddy 100+ miles away. It's really a simple & great way to get a good sound from your kit without the nest of wires & mics all around.
As it comes with its own interface & plug-and-play software, you're ready to go right out of the box.

If you do a 1-up/2-down set up like me, get the extra trigger for $50. You'll thank me later. ;)

I remember in that move "The Martian" with Matt Damon. He survived under unbelievable conditions and you may ask how? Well it's simple he:

I have to call bull crap on that movie. I wonder what/how a drum kit would sound in his garden bubble? Plants respond to music-I'm sure Mr Potato head would too. I want to start gigging again too-I wish I'd never quit. I don't know how long I'll be able to hear well enough to play but I plan on going on. I'm making an appointment to see my audiologist cause either my aids are off or my hearing more so. I don't know how I'm going to handle more and more silence-I've thought about cochlear implants but I didn't realize you have to relearn how to hear and it doesn't work great on everybody. I'm hoping a better option will evolve. Anyways I want to play again-something to focus and obsess over to make me happy LOL. I'm tired of obsessing over COVID-like a roller coaster. It's sucking the life out of everything and I just hate it.

Last edited:
Me too! I had someone get me all set up at my old place and when I moved 2 years ago my laptop got damaged and now I'm dead in the water with little motivation to go down that rabbit hole by myself. To top it off, my interfaces are 2 daisy-chained PreSonus Firepods and they utilize firewire connections to the computer, so it's not just a simple "plug and play", at least as far as I can tell. No one uses firewire any more.
I'm going to have to learn more about this stuff, unfortunately, if I want to get back into recording (which I do). It just sucks to have two outdated interfaces and a host of microphones sitting there useless.
It sounds like all you need is an interface. Why not look into the Yamaha TF stuff? It’s a learning curve, but because it’s a mixing console, you don’t run the risk of it obsoleting itself like FireWire. It’s my full-blown P.A. as well.

I fully hear you about the gig itch. I didn't mind the break at first, but now it's getting redonkulous.

I have one & I can do tracks at home for my recording engineer buddy 100+ miles away. It's really a simple & great way to get a good sound from your kit without the nest of wires & mics all around.
As it comes with its own interface & plug-and-play software, you're ready to go right out of the box.

If you do a 1-up/2-down set up like me, get the extra trigger for $50. You'll thank me later. ;)

You sir are a bad influence! So is Kamak ?

I've pulled the trigger on the ead10 (bad pun) plus the extra trigger. Tons of good stuff and a distinct lack of ballache!

I have the 1 up 2 down setup at the mo. Silly question do you use the extra trigger for the snare or extra floor?

I've been home recording for nearly 14 years, so nothing changed because of covid in that regard. I just upped the amount of videos I put out last year. If we didn't have covid, I'd very likely still be working on my Groove Essentials videos and still have a lot more left.

It sounds like all you need is an interface. Why not look into the Yamaha TF stuff? It’s a learning curve, but because it’s a mixing console, you don’t run the risk of it obsoleting itself like FireWire. It’s my full-blown P.A. as well.

I appreciate the suggestion, Matt. I remember you mentioning this in another thread and got sidetracked before doing some research. So, these act as an interface and a mixing console? Interesting.
It sounds very promising, but I'd prefer to have something limited to 2-3 rack mount slots since that's what I have built onto my riser/rack.
I'll certainly check them out as I can always make a mount for it.

I have the 1 up 2 down setup at the mo. Silly question do you use the extra trigger for the snare or extra floor?

The extra trigger goes on whichever instrument you wish to feature. For backbeat music, it is going to be the snare 99.999% of the time.

You would put it on a FT for songs that specifically feature that FT.... Like if the FT is ridden for the duration of the song or something like that... Or if you have a "Jack&Dianne" moment and want to add processing to the solo.

You sir are a bad influence! So is Kamak ?
I aim to please by any means necessary... ❤

For the floor. As it's the furthest away, the kick mounted mic's don't really hear it as well as the stuff right next to, or above.
The extra trigger gives me the full kit with no frills or fluff.
Truly revolutionary.

Good luck and have a blast with it! ??

I appreciate the suggestion, Matt. I remember you mentioning this in another thread and got sidetracked before doing some research. So, these act as an interface and a mixing console? Interesting.
It sounds very promising, but I'd prefer to have something limited to 2-3 rack mount slots since that's what I have built onto my riser/rack.
I'll certainly check them out as I can always make a mount for it.
The Yamaha TF Rack is a 3-unit piece. That’s what I use. Very convenient. And all TF series mixers come with Steinberg Nuendo to do 16-channel recording, which you can later transfer into Cubase.

The Yamaha TF Rack is a 3-unit piece. That’s what I use. Very convenient. And all TF series mixers come with Steinberg Nuendo to do 16-channel recording, which you can later transfer into Cubase.

Ahh....nice! That looks ideal, aside from the price tag. I'll look further into that. I appreciate the suggestion. I still might pursue getting my firepods to work. No matter what, I still need another laptop.

how do you connect the ead10 to your computer? what sort of interface, cables?

Back