MOTU for IEM- Anyone?

OliverATX

Hello! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Trying to figure out where to go from the XR18. IEM is a big part and it seems like the X32r is somewhat of a standard in this domain- particularly for small bands on a budget . However, I also want to use the mixer for in-studio (home studio) recording and like the MOTU pre-amps quite a bit.

MOTU also has very comprehensive routing and functionality for personal IEM via the app, which is browser based.

However, I cannot find anyone referencing using MOTUs for any IEM. I was looking at the 828es with 2x 8pres. There is only 8 AUX OUTs in that scenario, but that is sufficient for the 4 member band.

So, I am curious if anyone is successfully using and MOTU interfaces for live IEM?

Thank you!

Best,

Oliver

It’s a philosophy thing. In a live situation, I wouldn’t want to be dealing with interfaces - it’s too fluid and fast for that. This is why the Yamaha TF stuff exists - it’s build for live sound and you can have as many AUX outputs as you can afford. If it’s a budget thing, just up your budget and get the right gear for what you need to do, you’ll be better off in the long run.

It’s a philosophy thing. In a live situation, I wouldn’t want to be dealing with interfaces - it’s too fluid and fast for that. This is why the Yamaha TF stuff exists - it’s build for live sound and you can have as many AUX outputs as you can afford. If it’s a budget thing, just up your budget and get the right gear for what you need to do, you’ll be better off in the long run.
The AUX output comment from my end was just in regard to the specific configuration I picked, which suits us from a line-in and mic-pre situation. With MOTU you can add outputs pretty much at will, especially when using AVB. The budget comment was particular to the X32r. MOTU is on the upper end of the range- they offer pretty much everything we need (for studio and live) in addition to having the better mic pres.....

Not sure I understand your "fast" comment...

Thanks for the reply.

And, yes, the Yamaha stuff is nice, too.

The AUX output comment from my end was just in regard to the specific configuration I picked, which suits us from a line-in and mic-pre situation. With MOTU you can add outputs pretty much at will, especially when using AVB. The budget comment was particular to the X32r. MOTU is on the upper end of the range- they offer pretty much everything we need (for studio and live) in addition to having the better mic pres.....

Not sure I understand your "fast" comment...

Thanks for the reply.
Have you ever mixed a band in a live situation?

Have you ever mixed a band in a live situation?
Yes. If you mean by fluid that reacting to changes and constantly needing to keep up with volume levels, etc. is more challenging in a live situation, I certainly agree.

However, I am not sure how that is different from the MOTU vs. the X32r or TF for that matter.

If it makes the conversation easier we can replace the MOTU 8Pre's with their B16 stage box- doesn't change anything fundamentally though....

Back