Mid-Level Hats?

Leftie117

So I've been playing for 2 years, and am looking for a new pair of hats. I currently use b8s, and in the tiny, echoey room I play in they sound like bronze dinner plates getting smashed together. I mainly play rock, but may experiment with other styles in the future. I like the thin sound of the Zildjian A's, but unless I find a great deal on c-list, those are way above my price range. Does anyone know of a cheaper pair that sounds similar?

If you want new and don't want to pay big name new prices...

Dream.

I just bought a pair of dream hats, hand-made cymbal pair that isn't crappy b8 sheet metal, for 200 bucks. Shipped free.

I got the bliss series, sounds like you might want to play it safe and get the energy hats for rock unless you like the old thin cymbal sound like I do. All my other cymbals on the kit are old zils between late 60's and late 70's. Bliss was a good match for me, and I can attest that they sound fantastic for a hundred per pie, even if they were more expensive, they would still be great, but the price is extra icing.

Paiste PST 7 probably has the best mid level sound out there right now, but you could probably get a pro pair for less if you buy used. Used New Beats are pretty easy to find for low prices because they're so plentiful.

wait and buy used Zil New beats or Sabian AA. they are very common. look every day on used sites, they will come.
but Sabian XS are not half bad, as are the Paiste model mentioned.

I see older Zildjian new beats for around $100 all the time on CL. Those are exactly what you should be looking for. I have a set of 70's ghost logo ones and they are fantastic.

I agree with Dr Watso. I use a pair of 13" Dream Bliss on a closed remote stand and...a pair of 14" Zildjian Quick Beats on a pedal stand. The QBs are definitely rock quality and LOUD. The Dreams I use for more subtle blues and jazz style songs. You really can't beat Dream quality. B20, hand hammered and a 2 year warranty. I also use Dream as my main crashes with a couple Zildjian K darks as secondary crashes. Shows you how good I think Dreams are. MY SUGGESTION? 15" Dream Energy hi hats or 14" Zildjian Quick Beat hi hats.....

I agree with Dr Watso. I use a pair of 13" Dream Bliss on a closed remote stand and...a pair of 14" Zildjian Quick Beats on a pedal stand. The QBs are definitely rock quality and LOUD. The Dreams I use for more subtle blues and jazz style songs. You really can't beat Dream quality. B20, hand hammered and a 2 year warranty. I also use Dream as my main crashes with a couple Zildjian K darks as secondary crashes. Shows you how good I think Dreams are. MY SUGGESTION? 15" Dream Energy hi hats or 14" Zildjian Quick Beat hi hats.....

I also have 13" Dream Bliss hats set up on one of my kits. Love the vintage sound.

You should be able to get some older A. New Beats for ~$100-- I've got some for sale for $120 right now, as a matter of fact-- also Istanbul's Xist line are cheap, but really good. Those are basically the only "economy" cymbals I would consider buying.

You should be able to get some older A. New Beats for ~$100-- I've got some for sale for $120 right now, as a matter of fact-- also Istanbul's Xist line are cheap, but really good. Those are basically the only "economy" cymbals I would consider buying.

Agree. One can also find Sabian "Regular Hats" (roughly Sabian's answer to New Beats) used for $70 - 90. I own a set of both and switch between them routinely depending on my mood.

Point is, you're better off looking for a used set of Pro-level cymbals in good condition rather than agonizing over what "mid level" set to buy new...

Used Zildjian A New beats and Sabian AA hi hats are great. You can get them for pretty cheap. XS20 hi hats sound great for the price as well as Paiste PST 7 medium hi hats. Dream Contact or Energy hi hats seem like they would fit the bill well also.

I play XS20 Rock hats. They're not bad at all. I like them a lot, but they cost me $200 brand new. Today I went to a music store and got a pair of used New Beats for 110 bucks. They're in great condition. I actually went there to check out a Ludwig Speedking, which I also got for $25 because it needs a little work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Agree. One can also find Sabian "Regular Hats" (roughly Sabian's answer to New Beats) used for $70 - 90. I own a set of both and switch between them routinely depending on my mood.

Point is, you're better off looking for a used set of Pro-level cymbals in good condition rather than agonizing over what "mid level" set to buy new...
Yeah, I sold a pair of 14" Sabian AA Regular hats for $150 and those were excellent cymbals. I own 13" 80's New Beats and they are fine too, I prefer the chick of the New Beats over Sabian AAs though.

Like most have said: Used New Beats
If you want to buy new, then 15" Paiste Alpha Sound Edge (or 14")

I see older Zildjian new beats for around $100 all the time on CL. Those are exactly what you should be looking for. I have a set of 70's ghost logo ones and they are fantastic.

Another vote for used new beats. They are my only hats right now

Like most have said: Used New Beats
If you want to buy new, then 15" Paiste Alpha Sound Edge (or 14")

Everybody above has offered you the most affordable option. You will be able to find a pair of used B20 hats for a $100 or less. Just start looking.

Good luck!

Istanbul's Xist line are cheap, but really good. Those are basically the only "economy" cymbals I would consider buying.

I am totally in love with my Xists. If you must buy new, do consider them. That said...

FreDrummer said:

This, my friend, is the best advice given.

I'd go with Sabian Xs20 for the best economy option, though there are many higher-level cymbals you can find used at a great price.

Back