Ludwig Classic Maple

Bigdumbdrums

Hello!
Just had to share my latest drum experience. I'm a gigging drummer in the Boston area with gigs almost every weekend year 'round. For the past couple of years I've been gigging mostly with a mid '80s Yamaha Recording Custom (22, 12, 15). My snare is typically a '60s Ludwig Supraphonic.

I recently ordered a brand new set of Ludwig Classic Maples from Drum Center of Portsmouth and they arrived just a few days ago. I went to pick them up the day before a gig. They are 22x14, 13x9, 16x16 and Ludwig threw in a free 14x6.5 snare (an offer I was told had just ended just after I placed my order). The drums feature Ludwig's Atlas mounting system including the Atlas rail mount.

I played these drums for the first time live at my gig the following day and the difference in sound between these and any other drum set I've played is night and day.

Big. Warm. Resonant. Dynamic.

When you strike the kick drum, not only do you get a nice thuddy attack, the tone that quickly follows consumes both ear drums like a vacuum so that you barely hear anything else for about a second. You also feel it in your chest as most of your inner organs vibrate. There's nothing like being aware of where exactly your lungs are located in your chest every time you lean on that pedal. Wow.

The 13x9 tom is very dynamic. Hit it softly and she reacts gently with mellow tones. Start to lean on it a little more and she opens up even more. Give it all you got and she explodes with attack and tone all day long.

The 16x16 floor is a beast all on its own. A perfect combination of attack and tone. Deep tone. It's like an ocean swell during a tropical storm. She surges and swells and you know there's a lot of crazy stuff going on under the surface that you'll never understand but love how it sounds from above.

When I placed my order, Ludwig had offered a free snare of choice (14x5 or 14x6.5) and I opted for the 6.5" depth. This is not just a cheap freebie they throw in for incentive purposes either. This is a legit drum on its own. As with the rest of the kit, it's a 7 ply maple shell that has that nice crack as well as a warm tone that cuts through everything without being too harsh on the ears. It blends well with the rest of the kit as well as the rest of the band musically.

I'm very particular about finishes and color. I love seeing the wood grain but also love some wraps (not all). In fact, I regard drum finishes like tattoos. Whatever I decide, I better damn love it 10 or even 20 years from now. So choose wisely. I went with Ludwig's vintage white marine pearl and I couldn't be more blown away. Not only does it look great in a vintage, throw-back, drum history kinda way, but it has a very chameleon quality to it. It changes color depending on it's environment. I'm not kidding. I mean, it's not like going from blue to green, but it does seem to absorb/reflect the colors of the room it's in and as a result it can go from having a greenish hue to a bluish tint or sometimes it looks amber. In some photos it looks pure white as well. Every time I look at it from a different angle, it's like seeing it for the first time.

The kit as a whole is harmonious. All 4 drums sound like one instrument. It's an animal. It's an absolute joy to play. Most drums I hit AT with sticks. The Ludwig Maple Classic I hit IN TO. It's a different thing altogether. I don't have to work as hard to get the sound I want out of them.

If you are in the market for a new kit and not sure what to get, check out the Ludwig Classic Maples along with every other brand out there. Don't ignore these drums.

Here are some photos if you're curious...

http://bigdumbdrums.com/gallery/ludwig-classic-maple/

I own a set in the same finish and I feel the same way about them. I a/b compared against every other brand I could get my hands on and the decision was pretty easy for me. Also, it was an unexpected winner for me. I was never a fan of Ludwig as a young drummer growing up. I had no attachment to the brand whatsoever. But the sound was undeniable for me, too.

Congrats!

I own a set in the same finish and I feel the same way about them. I a/b compared against every other brand I could get my hands on and the decision was pretty easy for me. Also, it was an unexpected winner for me. I was never a fan of Ludwig as a young drummer growing up. I had no attachment to the brand whatsoever. But the sound was undeniable for me, too.

Congrats!
Thanks! And congrats to you! I always like Ludwig and always had at least a couple of one-off Luds hanging around. Either a Supra or a crazy old Ludwig marching drum converted to a kick drum (which is awesome btw). But this is my first full blown Ludwig kit and I'm totally sold.

The guys at Drum Center of Portsmouth are great and spent a couple hours with me when I picked them up. They attend NAMM every year and they said that in all the madness that's NAMM and with all the people banging away on different drums from all the different manufacturers, most people gravitated towards a clear and distinct winner when it came to the overall sound quality - which was the Ludwig booth. :)

I've seen this guy and possibly this exact video a couple weeks ago - he's great!

Yeah, he did some lessons for drumeo, he is easily the guy that i watch that makes me want to go sit at my kit and play. His enthusiasm is very infectious.

I was lucky enough to take a private lesson with Jim Riley and I think he is a fine musician and a gifted teacher. Some of my bandmates commented on how much I took away from that short time. And he definitely enjoyed talking Ludwig drums.

Congrats on those! They look amazing. Best bass drum sound I ever got was from a Ludwig classic maple. Haven't owned a Ludwig kit in forever, but I'm really tempted to go back to Ludwig by what I'm seeing and hearing lately!

Gorgeous drums, enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to the Classic Maple Owner's Club!
I have 10/12/15/16/22 in Champagne Sparkle and love them. The options, sizes, finish choices and price are hard to beat. The snares are some of the best wood shell models available, regardless of price.

Very nice looking set, Bigdumbdrums.

I guess you could say I've got the Littledumbdrums - Classic Maple Jazzette (12/14/18).

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm pleased with them.

WOW! Those look fantastic. Congratulations. Great choice on drums, size, and finish. It's hard to go wrong with a classic.

Very nice looking kit! Super classy. I currently play a Legacy kit, but if I ever get another kit I think it would probably be a Classic Maple.

Congrats on the new kit. Ludwig's Classic Maple snares are very underrated. They are equally as good as their more popular metal shell cousins.

Shane and Tony at DCP are outstanding people and really get Customer Service. I have started dropping by their when I go to Maine for my yearly vacation.

+1 for the Classic Maples! I have a 2013 Ludwig Classic Maple in White Marine Pearl with Mini Classic Lugs and ATLAS mounts. VERY versatile and beautiful drums!! Mine are 20x14, 12x8, and 14x14.

Attachments

• IMG_20160520_211727105.jpg
    IMG_20160520_211727105.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 1,498
+1 for the Classic Maples! I have a 2013 Ludwig Classic Maple in White Marine Pearl with Mini Classic Lugs and ATLAS mounts. VERY versatile and beautiful drums!! Mine are 20x14, 12x8, and 14x14.

Very nice Trip ! The contrast between that awesome classy wrap and the snare which I assume is a black beauty is sublime.

There's no reason in the world why that kit shouldn't be a forever drum set. I love that Atlas hardware, and that rail mount looks awesome.

Very nice Trip ! The contrast between that awesome classy wrap and the snare which I assume is a black beauty is sublime.

Thanks sir! Actually that's a Pork Pie BOB snare :) Sounds amazing as well with a Coated Vintage Emperor on the batter.

Awesome. I am currently looking at the same finish in either CM or LM. Question : for that Atlas mount on the bass drum, which attaches to rack tom, does that hinder your ability to put the bass drum in a case ? Or does the bar and tom mount easily come off, so that you just need to deal with extra diameter due to the Atlas lug on the bass drum ? If so, how much wider do your cases / bags need to be to deal with the Atlas mounts ? Congrats on an awesome kit.

Back