Ludwig Black Beauty

Went round and round with every wire on planet Earth for my 14 x 6.5 Black Beauty. I hardly ever play brass snares anymore because I prefer the sound of maple, but there is always someone who wants it in the mix.

So I finally trusted my instincts and installed the latest high carbon steel 'snappy snare wires' I keep for the Starclassic Maple snare drums (and an S.L.P. snare) on the BB and WOW.

Just trust me on this folks, it made the BB sound like what it was always supposed to sound like.

My .02 cents.
I'm pacing the floor thinking one more time?with high carbon steel snappy snares?😨. Once bitten twice shy here. Honeyyy!....im running up to Guitar Center for a minute..

For mine I just use a Remo CS Dot coated batter and the stock snare wires.

Sounds great so no need to change, for me.

I got one a few months ago. 6.5x14. I took it out of the box, messed a little with the tuning, and started recording with it. I haven't changed anything. It'll probably be the main snare-- maybe the only one-- on the album I'm starting to track this week.

I use a Hazy Diplomat reso on all my snares including my BB. I wouldn't get the sensitivity I need for my use with an Emperor. It's a heavy hitter choice.

Not my main snare, but I use it for orchestral, low volume and acoustic stuff with rods and brushes a lot.

Mine has die cast hoops.

I love Remo CS heads - my favourite snare head. I use one on my Black Beauty. I despise Evans HD Dry heads - dead and lifeless and too dry .
Didn't mean to single you out but you said something a couple of days ago that made me think you despised Remo CS heads:

"Ahh yes the drum head for people that do not know how to tune their drums . A truly awful snare batter head . Removed all the high harmonics and resonance..."

My apologies if I misunderstood. Maybe you were talking about a different head? I suspect you were.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the stock Ludwig reso heads that come on the USA drums. It has a really low collar and just tunes up perfectly on Ludwig snare drums. I order them when I need new a new one instead of just picking up a remo reso locally. I really like the pure sound super 30 wires on my BB and Supra. Gives it a nice beefy sound and sensitive feel.

For maximum crispness, regardless of make of drum, Puresound Blasters mounted with Grosgrain ribbon on a tight snare side head.

Hello,
I am playing a 5x14 black beauty Brass. I have played around between pure sound wires and stock. I play heads pretty tight. Currently remo ambassador and emperor resonant.
Curious if anyone else playing black beauty’s have a different head setup or wires that they like. I definitely am happy with my sound now, but every year or so I like to try a little different setup to see if I like it better. Thoughts?

I use Black Beauty Bass guitar strings. ( does this count?). :)

Hello,
I am playing a 5x14 black beauty Brass. I have played around between pure sound wires and stock. I play heads pretty tight. Currently remo ambassador and emperor resonant.
Curious if anyone else playing black beauty’s have a different head setup or wires that they like. I definitely am happy with my sound now, but every year or so I like to try a little different setup to see if I like it better. Thoughts?

(Taking notes) are you guys saying the snare springs underneath the snare drum affect the soundability ( made up word) of a drummers snare drum??

(Taking notes) are you guys saying the snare springs underneath the snare drum affect the soundability ( made up word) of a drummers snare drum??
Yes they can. The degree of difference depending on the number of snare wires, the materials used and how they are manufactured. Some snare wires sound identical. Some snare wires (such as Canopus to my ears) sound different. The number of snare strands is a factor (I'm a huge fan of 12-strand snares). As a general rule fewer snare wires allow more of the tone of the drum shell and having more snare wires generally results in a brighter, crisper sound. Another factor is determined by how wide and deep the snare beds are cut in a particular snare drum and choosing the appropriate width snares.

Yes they can. The degree of difference depending on the number of snare wires, the materials used and how they are manufactured. Some snare wires sound identical. Some snare wires (such as Canopus to my ears) sound different. The number of snare strands is a factor (I'm a huge fan of 12-strand snares). As a general rule fewer snare wires allow more of the tone of the drum shell and having more snare wires generally results in a brighter, crisper sound. Another factor is determined by how wide and deep the snare beds are cut in a particular snare drum and choosing the appropriate width snares.

Wow outstanding. Notes to self. So can you put say a superior set of snare wires on a cheaper snare drum? Kinda like a dress on a pig? :)

Wow outstanding. Notes to self. So can you put say a superior set of snare wires on a cheaper snare drum? Kinda like a dress on a pig? :)
Sure. But realize that "superior" is in the ear of the beholder. Just don't try to use 42-strand snare wires on a snare shell with narrow cut snare beds.
Feel free to experiment. It all comes down to personal preference for what works for you so trust your ears.

Back