Looking for a snare like Lars Ulrich's (No haters please, lets keep this professional people)

Hi all! Thanks for your replies!

@ Bo Eder - I can see that for a full on, proffesional grade, balls to the walls live snare can set you back a very pretty penny indeed, but I have also seen snares (Metal and Wood) ranging between £150-£300 that look promising. =) I understand what you mean about the recording being so high quality, what I'm mainly looking for is something with plenty of 'snap' and a little 'slap' when you hit it and a nice hard rock tone to it.

@Hollywood Jim - I'll definitely look into that, thanks! =)

@ TheHeelDrummer - I'm mainly on about Metallica's Black album/load/reload days. You know, back when they were at the top of their game. =) I'll definitely give those you suggested a looksie and see what I think. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I wont be able to try the snare out before I buy it. The closest retailer that stocks a decent amount of snare drums to my knowledge is around 200 miles away. =( So I'm really looking to tohers to tell me what their opinions are.

@ GRUNTERSDAD - I understand what you're saying, but what I'm looking for is the basic snare that I could tune myself to get a similar sound. For example, I found a 14 x 6.5 metal shell snare online for around £180, which would be about right pricewise and its the same size as lars's snare, however I doubt it would sound anything like his.

I have found these snares online, opinions everyone?

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Tama-Metalworks-14-x-65in-Black-Nickel-Snare-Drum/Z3M

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...utter-14-x-65in-Hammered-Steel-Snare-Drum/XJL

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Pearl-Sensitone-Elite-14-x-5-Snare-Drum-Steel/KPY

Also, any advice on heads/tuning? I'm a newbie with snares, bought a crappy second hand kit and now I'm trying to upgrade a few things. =) All I've ever had to do is tighten the skin on this snare every now and then. =/

Looking at the Black Album...

Give a listen to this, it shows three different tunings. Lower for the slower songs and medium tuning to more up tempo songs. I am in love with this snare and think its the best value for the money period. I may be crazy but I believe this snare stacks up to snares three times its price. Because of this snare my Chad Smith is taking a ride on Ebay and Craigslist unless someone wants it here? If so, I'm getting rid of it for a very reasonable price so PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMhNBn7hz8Y

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ludwig-Supralite-Snare-Drum-108868753-i3032832.gc

You could also find a Ludwig Acrolite used and they are the most recorded snare drum ever. Thats an aluminum shell.

Sorry to go off topic, but wasn't he a better player at some point? Watching that is like seeing those kids raid the Guitar Center after school (or something).

I'm sure someone will flame me for saying it ;)

This is definitely hugely debatable. I saw them live in 94 and he was better than this but he didnt stand out as an incredible player by any means. I dont understand what happened to him. Arthritis? Bad knees? Doesnt every practice? Dunno.

I'm looking for the closest thing I can get to Lars Ulrich's snare drum without actually having to buy HIS snare drum. I'm looking for his snare's type of sound particularly because I like how you can play it hard and fast and have it cut through everything but you can also play it soft and slow and it fit just right. I would prefer the snare's shell to be metal as well FYI, not sure if this makes a difference to you or not. =/
Here's a run of at least some the the equipment he's used. http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml Just about all the name companies produce decent metal snares. Shop used, and you should be able to land a good snare on your budget.​

Here's a run of at least some the the equipment he's used. http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml Just about all the name companies produce decent metal snares. Shop used, and you should be able to land a good snare on your budget.​

Actually, you could solve all your ills by just getting a 6.5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic. You could upgrade to a brass Black Beauty, but it's not necessary. Just get a Supra and you'll be good well after you've lost interested in wanting to sound like Lars ;)

Actually, you could solve all your ills by just getting a 6.5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic. You could upgrade to a brass Black Beauty, but it's not necessary. Just get a Supra and you'll be good well after you've lost interested in wanting to sound like Lars ;)
The list includes "Apparently he used a metal Ludwig snare for recordings." Probably a Supra.​

Maybe you could just play your current snare, but do it with a smug look and lack of ability?

Oh, drat. You specifically said no haters. Oh well.

As everyone said, it's going to be a lot more about material, heads, and tuning than getting the exact snare he might use. I know a guy with a chad smith snare, and surprisingly, he doesn't sound anything like chad.

Any decent snare will get you the sound you want. A lot of the sound is in your hands.

Well, it depends on the music you're listening to. Almost all of the popular music, metal and otherwise, is processed. If you listen to alot of jazz, especially older jazz, you're hearing things less processed. Bonham wasn't very processed either, nor was Appice in his hey-day. If you do alot of listening, you can start to learn what's processed and what isn't, so no, it doesn't happen to everything you hear, just alot of that crafty pop stuff. It's a shame but it's progress too. Listening to a burning James Brown tune sounds much different to alot of the rap/r&b that stands on James Brown's shoulders :)

Amen to that Bo!! My first live concert was James Brown and I haven't heard a live sound that tight since! It was all in the skill of the musicians. James didn't let you mess up. If he pointed to you on stage it was because you had dropped a ball somewhere and it was going to cost you. I can't even watch the so-called "R&B artists" of today. I can't imagine Aretha Franklin or Gladys Knight lip-syncing the National Anthem like Beyonce just did.

I wouldn't worry about getting a Lars Ulrich signature snare. More often than not the artist doesn't even play "their" instrument outside of trade shows or clinics. Just get a good quality snare and work on your tuning and playing skills. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with a better sound than the one that you're chasing!

As far as I know here is what Lars had always used

1980's - Ludwig vintage Black Beauty (Studio only)

Black Album - 6.5 x 14 Bell Brass (Studio) 8 x 14 Birch (Live)

Load/Re-Load - 6.5 x 14 Bell Bras (live/studio)

St. Anger - Lars 6.5 x 14 Sig Steel Snare (Live/Studio)

Death Magnetic - 6.5 x 14 Bell Brass (Studio) Lars Sig Steel (Live)

His Sig snare is a steel version of the Bell Brass 3mm thick shell.
I own a similar one but it's 5mm thick w/ 3mm reinforcement rings. It's great for heavy rock gigs.

I wouldn't worry about getting a Lars Ulrich signature snare. More often than not the artist doesn't even play "their" instrument outside of trade shows or clinics. Just get a good quality snare and work on your tuning and playing skills. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with a better sound than the one that you're chasing!

This made me laugh (as if Larz would ever attend a trade show or drum clinic).
And I'm pretty sure he does use his sig snare most, if not all the time, live (as masonni pointed out). : )
But I definitely agree that finding your own snare sound would be the go (unless playing in a Metallica tribute band of course)!

Back