LJ (Little Justin) Wilson

I think 5 year old LJ Wilson could be the greatest drum prodigy since Buddy Rich. Certainly one of the best.
I'm not a drummer, but I have spent time looking at videos of prodigies Yoyoka Soma and Kanade Sato when similarly young. They both had started drumming very young, and both were quite amazing, but LJ is a whole lot better.

Take a look at this video of him at age 4. He shows his father, who is a Grammy winning arranger, a tune he had composed on GarageBand, and then they jam on it. It is so far beyond anything you have ever seen from someone so young it is just surreal.

Last edited:
Here's the latest from LJ. I think he's insanely good for a 5 year old kid. Do you agree? Or do you think I'm wrong and he isn't that special.

The little fella seems to really enjoy playing the drums. It's a great thing for him and his dad to bond over. I guess it's going to be up to him whether he continues to play in later life. He's certainly got the goods to become a fantastic drummer.

But these type of YouTube videos have me in two minds.

Yeah, the kid is good.

He's 1000% better than me!!!

But the product placement that's conveniently placed in frame and the signature gestures before the song just seems quite contrived.......I dunno, it can appear to be a bit forced or something.

There's so many videos out there of this kinda thing.....it's becoming a competitive industry now for KIDS and their supportive (and possibly) helicopter type parent.

But I guess it also gives these kids exposure to a wider audience that wasn't possible at one stage.

I hope this little chap gets some lessons and really hones his skill-set.

He'll be absolutely awesome.

2yr old little sister Shia has a video go viral, 5 million views. She is now playing the kick thanks to a block on the pedal so her leg can reach it, and her drumming has gotten a lot more complex.

LJ jams with his father on a new tune. He has the most sophisticated sense of rhythm I've ever seen in such a young child.

I wish parents wouldn’t throw their kids out there so readily. This kid is crazy talented and would develop just fine outside of the public gaze, it’d probably be healthier for him in fact. That said, he’s a fantastic little player with incredible potential...:)(y)

I wish parents wouldn’t throw their kids out there so readily. This kid is crazy talented and would develop just fine outside of the public gaze, it’d probably be healthier for him in fact. That said, he’s a fantastic little player with incredible potential...:)(y)
I disagree about him performing publicly. LJ is enjoying himself and I don't think he is being hurt in any way. It would be different if his parents were pressuring him to be successful, but they aren't.

Last edited:
Nothing against the kids drumming- I started at 8. In fact a lot of famous drummers started really young like Rich,Gadd, Jo Jo. Course I’m not even close to their skill. But these type videos are annoying. The OP isn’t a drummer but feels compelled to post all these videos on a drum forum? I have to ask- Are you his manager or promoter or Dad? We get these “New Youngest Greatest Talents “ like promotional videos all the time. Next will be video of Ian Paice watching the little guy drum. I didn’t watch the videos but I’m sure he’s great - all the kid videos are great. I’m all for a new generation of drummers snd keeping drumming alive. I’m not dissing their talent. But now so many of these videos and I’m cynical and don’t even watch them anymore because all promoted the same. I think that is what AI is referring to - thst you might not get much of a response on here because it gets lost in the noise. Anyways I hope the kid keeps his love for the instrument- but he is talented and many who started on drums took to another instrument- so I hope he has a successful life whatever his choices.

Here's is my grand baby (not even a year old I think) after a riveting bongo performance that would put Giovanni Hildago to shame-it was her latin phase. Then her southern rock. Now it's Pop PoP Pop. Child prodigy I'm thinking.. IMG_1635.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 3
Back