Kerf Drum Co.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Hello! I just watched and listened to the latest "Sounds like a Drum" drop and am wondering if any of you have had a chance to play one of these snares? I'm digging the way it seems to project in the room and the presence it has through just the room mic(s). For those who know more about the effects of materials and construction variables, I'm interested in your take as to what seems to contribute to this ability. Do you reckon it's all about the unique way the shell is constructed?

I haven't watched the video nor explored the website but one thing that immediately stands out to me is it says "built different".... Then in the description says "the method of bending wood into drum shells is an ancient and untouched woodworking practice that has been untouched for over a century". Essentially saying, "we are doing something totally new.... That has been done before."

I haven't watched the video nor explored the website but one thing that immediately stands out to me is it says "built different".... Then in the description says "the method of bending wood into drum shells is an ancient and untouched woodworking practice that has been untouched for over a century". Essentially saying, "we are doing something totally new.... That has been done before."

Yes, that's the kind of bold vernacular and effective clickbait (worked on me anyway) that evokes healthy skepticism. It sounds like it's a common technique in woodworking but maybe applying it to creating drum shells is what is "different?" And I know it's not the only drum construction and composition that can deliver that amount of presence through distant mics. I just found it interesting and am curious to know what others might have to say about it.

I'm now going to brush my teeth with a revolutionary toothpaste that is unlike any other, including the revolutionary toothpastes the same company introduced last lear and pretty much every year previously.

Last edited:
I watched their videos a while back and asked them a few questions by email. These are stave shells where the gimmick is that the staves are cut from one board, and the outermost millimeter is where they didn’t cut all the way through.

The makers did not, at the time I checked with them, have any other ideas about things like bearing edges, snare beds, hardware, or finishes. They sprayed the shells matte black and said it was to show off the wood grain.?.? And they took a real attitude when I suggested other finishes.

Yes, that's the kind of bold vernacular and effective clickbait (worked on me anyway) that evokes healthy skepticism. It sounds like it's a common technique in woodworking but maybe applying it to creating drum shells is what is "different?" And I know it's not the only drum construction and composition that can deliver that amount of presence through distant mics. I just found it interesting and am curious to know what others might have to say about it.

I'm now going to brush my teeth with a revolutionary toothpaste that is unlike any other, including the revolutionary toothpastes the same company introduced last lear and pretty much every year previously.
Well said

I watched their videos a while back and asked them a few questions by email. These are stave shells where the gimmick is that the staves are cut from one board, and the outermost millimeter is where they didn’t cut all the way through.

The makers did not, at the time I checked with them, have any other ideas about things like bearing edges, snare beds, hardware, or finishes. They sprayed the shells matte black and said it was to show off the wood grain.?.? And they took a real attitude when I suggested other finishes.
Wow, sounds like a "take what I make and like it or eff off" kind of company. Which is not the type it typically like to give my money to.

Looks kind of interesting, but I'll pass. What if that outside millimeter of wood splits? Besides, the truly ancient way to make a drum using modern technology can be found with Luka drums.

Looks kind of interesting, but I'll pass. What if that outside millimeter of wood splits? Besides, the truly ancient way to make a drum using modern technology can be found with Luka drums.
I agree, looking at the seams in that shell it's one good drop away from completely falling apart.

I agree, looking at the seams in that shell it's one good drop away from completely falling apart.
Oh they glue it up like staves, so I wouldn’t worry about falling apart. However they do have to sand down the exterior to make it smoothly round, so I don’t know how much of the “skin” really stays contiguous at the joints.

Gonna chime in here since, well, I made the video and designed the thumbnail graphic and wrote the copy (on the video...not the Kerf Drum Co website).

This wasn't clickbait at all. No one appears to be using kerf joints for making drum shells. In fact, Kerf Drum Co. holds a patent for building drum shells with this process. The shells are neither stave nor multi-ply nor steam bent solid shell so yes, they are (simply put) built different. Some of the best developments in any industry are inspired by uses elsewhere. Take a look at what WTS did with their tuning mechanisms and then look at the tuners on an upright bass...

Wow, sounds like a "take what I make and like it or eff off" kind of company. Which is not the type it typically like to give my money to.

It's funny. We've received SO much unsolicited feedback from people who want to share their opinions about what we do and how we do it with Sounds Like a Drum. People will actually email me to tell me that we should use a different font for text or that I'm not lighting the shots correctly or than I should share the TuneBot frequencies for all of our tunings. I've received some of the most downright mean and hateful commentary in response to a thing that I've poured thousands of hours and personal resources into producing and I put it out there for free (please note, I'm not saying that Kerf Drum Co. has received messages like this. Just a relevant side note on how people can be horrible over the internet no matter how hard you work). I can absolutely understand why anyone might have a bit of a cold response to receiving such feedback about drum building, especially if the feedback was unsolicited and not necessarily from someone known to have expertise.
Aren't we all? 😅

Last edited:
Gonna chime in here since, well, I made the video and designed the thumbnail graphic and wrote the copy (on the video...not the Kerf Drum Co website).

This wasn't clickbait at all. No one appears to be using kerf joints for making drum shells. In fact, Kerf Drum Co. holds a patent for building drum shells with this process. The shells are neither stave nor multi-ply nor steam bent solid shell so yes, they are (simply put) built different. Some of the best developments in any industry are inspired by uses elsewhere. Take a look at what WTS did with their tuning mechanisms and then look at the tuners on an upright bass...

It's funny. We've received SO much unsolicited feedback from people who want to share their opinions about what we do and how we do it with Sounds Like a Drum. People will actually email me to tell me that we should use a different font for text or that I'm not lighting the shots correctly or than I should share the TuneBot frequencies for all of our tunings. I've received some of the most downright mean and hateful commentary from a thing that I've poured thousands of hours and personal resources into producing and I put it out there for free (please note, I'm not saying that Kerf Drum Co. has receive messages like this. Just a relevant side note on how people can be horrible over the internet no matter how hard you work). I can absolutely understand why anyone might have a bit of a cold response to receiving such feedback about drum building, especially if the feedback was unsolicited and not necessarily from someone known to have expertise.

Aren't we all? 😅

I want to publicly thank you for all of your hard work on the channel. Keep doing what you’re doing! You are appreciated. 🙂

It's funny. We've received SO much unsolicited feedback from people who want to share their opinions about what we do and how we do it with Sounds Like a Drum. People will actually email me to tell me that we should use a different font for text or that I'm not lighting the shots correctly or than I should share the TuneBot frequencies for all of our tunings. I've received some of the most downright mean and hateful commentary from a thing that I've poured thousands of hours and personal resources into producing and I put it out there for free (please note, I'm not saying that Kerf Drum Co. has receive messages like this. Just a relevant side note on how people can be horrible over the internet no matter how hard you work). I can absolutely understand why anyone might have a bit of a cold response to receiving such feedback about drum building, especially if the feedback was unsolicited and not necessarily from someone known to have expertise.

Aren't we all? 😅

I was hoping you might stop by Ben. Thanks for sharing all of that and thank you for creating videos that deliver interesting, relevant and useful information, all of it clearly communicated with honesty and transparency. At the risk of going all effusive on you, I'll add that they've made my relationship with this instrument that all of us here love, all the richer.

It's funny. We've received SO much unsolicited feedback from people who want to share their opinions about what we do and how we do it with Sounds Like a Drum. People will actually email me to tell me that we should use a different font for text or that I'm not lighting the shots correctly or than I should share the TuneBot frequencies for all of our tunings. I've received some of the most downright mean and hateful commentary in response to a thing that I've poured thousands of hours and personal resources into producing and I put it out there for free (please note, I'm not saying that Kerf Drum Co. has received messages like this. Just a relevant side note on how people can be horrible over the internet no matter how hard you work). I can absolutely understand why anyone might have a bit of a cold response to receiving such feedback about drum building, especially if the feedback was unsolicited and not necessarily from someone known to have expertise.

Aren't we all? 😅
I definitely appreciate your feedback and I certainly wasn't trying to say anything bad about y'all, I love your content and even purchased a shirt.

The two statements are not exclusive. Kerf bending is a very old technique used for many kinds of wood bending applications, but mainly in decorative applications. You’ll even find the same technique used to dry wall arches / curves, etc.

What’s new here (at least to the extent of my knowledge) is this technique applied to drum shells, & I find it very interesting, both from a technical perspective, but also in terms of it’s sonic delivery.

In constructional terms, I have one area of concern, & that’s the incomplete nature of the glue bond. The Kerf cuts are made using a slitting saw. The blade creates a parallel sided cut. When you bend the resultant board, you are left with a series of cuts where only the inner diameter area of the cuts are contacting, & conversely, a void towards the outer diameter of the shell. If we consider traditional wood glues, they rely on contact between surfaces for strength. In the screen shot below taken from the video, you can clearly see the potential contact area available and the resulting voids.

Of course, you could consider a resin rather than a glue. Resins have a fill capability that glues do not have, but resins can bring about their own issues, especially when wood moves (& move it will). I can only assume the builder is fully satisfied with the level & stability of bond created & tested as such. Relying only on my related experience, & assuming a very high quality glue is used, I think it’s likely multiple point contacts cumulatively over a large area can produce a stable & viable construction.

Kerf construction.jpg

Construction observations aside, what really interests me is the sonic result. Yes, I can hear that classic solid shell character, & in this example, that is further enabled by the dry nature of mahogany. There’s definitely something else going on here too. There’s a sprinkling of steam bent single ply to the delivery, very similar to segmented construction. I think both are feeding into the projection of tone that Ben refers to. It’s possible the above mentioned voids assist in facilitating that, encouraging a greater than usual low dynamic excitement of the shell. Again, reminiscent of the tensioned vibe you get from thin shell single ply.

Overall, I find this very interesting, & of course, presented transparently by Ben with his usual & much appreciated level of professionalism + insight.

Last edited:
Overall, I find this very interesting, & of course, presented transparently by Ben with his usual & much appreciated level of professionalism + insight.
Just a quick clarification- We're a two man team. I produce these videos but usually Cody is on camera (it's just easier if I don't have to do everything myself and Cody has been a great friend of mine for a decade now so I really enjoy getting to work with him on this channel). I develop the concept and production plan, we execute the experiments/demos together, we coordinate our thoughts and establish the key takeaways and then I coach him through the delivery. I do all of the editing and channel management.

Just a quick clarification- We're a two man team. I produce these videos but usually Cody is on camera (it's just easier if I don't have to do everything myself and Cody has been a great friend of mine for a decade now so I really enjoy getting to work with him on this channel). I develop the concept and production plan, we execute the experiments/demos together, we coordinate our thoughts and establish the key takeaways and then I coach him through the delivery. I do all of the editing and channel management.
Good to know (y)

Thanks for Sounds Like a Drum. It has helped my drumming quite a bit. Peace and goodwill.

Back