Just a simple question....

Well, when we play, we always get a ton of chicks in the audience. TBH, we've no idea why. It's certainly not the drummer, but it would be nice to think it is the drumming :)

We (my band mates and I) have exactly the same experience and struggle to understand why. Clearly the allure of the balding 40-something has gone unnoticed all these years. We've even had impromptu nudity of the nubile young lovely's at a recent gig. It's all fantasy stuff, however, it does give the flagging old ego a lift from time to time...

I think it's because of the size of our instrument(drums are larger in size than guitars,keys, horns ect),and the fact that we're in constant motion that does it.It''s certainly the most athletic instrument,and requires great manual dexterity ......to play well.:)

Steve B

That is because you don't BELIEVE!!

That's true, he doesn't believe - he observes :)

A recent study suggests that pessimists live longer than optimists. Could be because they are more in touch with reality than optimists, who see things more as they wish them to be ... hoping to shape unchangeable things by force of good vibes.

Speaking as a scruffy, nerdy over 50, I relate to Bon's comment ... but I'll never forget Rob Hirst's biceps glistening under the lights at a Save the Whales gig at the Stagedoor Tavern 30-something years ago ... oh yeah

....A recent study suggests that pessimists live longer than optimists...

A sensationalist mis-quote, meant to mislead the reader

Read beyond the headline, and you will see the self labels they are comparing are "pessimistic" and "overly optimistic".

"Overly optimistic" sounds like a dangerous borderline condiiton and I have no trouble beleiving it will shorten your life.

Healthy optimism, on the other hand, has been proven to improve a vast array of life areas. But most importantly, it makes for a better day for those around you.

Casper

Read beyond the headline, and you will see the self labels they are comparing are "pessimistic" and "overly optimistic".

"Overly optimistic" sounds like a dangerous borderline condiiton and I have no trouble beleiving it will shorten your life.

Healthy optimism, on the other hand, has been proven to improve a vast array of life areas. But most importantly, it makes for a better day for those around you.

Casper

I would agree. People need to see reality but also realize that they could be a lot worse off, and they are very lucky. It never helps anything to worry either, it just makes it tougher.

You may be right. Does this mean I have to defend myself?

When I meet a girl who is also a good musician, the sexiness factor definitely goes up a notch or two. Probably two if she is a drummer. ha!

Drummers are sexy and I have fresh evidence as a girl I was dating recently lived in a girls' home (kind of an early 20th century relic) here in New york. She told me all her fellow tenants got very excited when they heard she was dating a drummer. Nothing about my conversation skills, education otherwise, or cooking skills. "Drummer" did it.

Nothing to defend. What I call beleif, as far as drummer's sex appeal is concerned, is just something I tell myself before walking up to someone I like. In this case, I was very much the drummer as she watched me sit in with the band later. Now, would things have gone so well without the drums? No way of telling...

Fun discussion, thanks for this ;-)

Casper

""Overly optimistic" as a dangerous borderline condition" ... hmmm, "I feel like I could get away with anything today - I think I might become an axe murderer!". I've seen this in practice in real life, ergo, my father.

The killer (no pun) quote from the article was: "Pessimism about the future may encourage people to live more carefully, taking health and safety precautions".

""Overly optimistic" as a dangerous borderline condition" ... hmmm, "I feel like I could get away with anything today - I think I might become an axe murderer!". I've seen this in practice in real life, ergo, my father.

The killer (no pun) quote from the article was: "Pessimism about the future may encourage people to live more carefully, taking health and safety precautions".

If you are serious, I got it man...and I would love a PM from you.

If you are joking...don't joke about axe murderers.

Quick web lokup of definition of pessimistic:
"A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view"

Optimistic:
"disposed to take a favorable view of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome"

Both outlooks seem like a bad idea if exclusive, in my opinion. However, put "overly" in front of either one, and I would take the other.

Casper

If you are joking...don't joke about axe murderers.

You haven't been here very long yet, but there's a specific mention in the forums rules that you're allowed to joke about axe murdering.
----

What's the difference between an axe murderer and Travis Barker?

The axe murderer has chops!

Casper, I got mixed up. Dad wasn't a real life example of the axe murderers, he was a real life example of a pessimist who kept himself safe.

Nice one, Watso, but I'm offended - Travis Barker does have chops! I saw a YT with him working out on a pad and I'd be happy to have his hands (sans the ink)

Back