Jeff Randall on Soundproofing a Room

GretschedHive

Gold Member
I've really enjoyed this guy's channel for some time. I was surprised to learn, about a year ago, that he'd been playing in a storage unit the whole time:

But he'd bought a house and he'd be able to play there. Congrats to him! He'd built a drum studio in his new house and it looked and sounded great.

And then after a year he announced that the soundproofing hadn't worked.

Fortunately, in a shocking stroke of luck, he found an isolation booth. And it worked!

And he later went into depth about what happened and how and why.

I'm posting this thread here as much for the folks who're sure to come here in the future looking for suggestions as to soundproofing, as this is something of a cautionary tale, albeit one with a happy ending.

Watched the last video, pretty great: I've seen those Whisper Rooms for sale over the years but assumed they wouldn't have enough mass to handle drums.

I do wish he'd give us a sample of what it sounded like inside, which to me would probably be very dull and muddy without any bass traps in the corners and all that foam on the walls.

I'd been looking for a good WhisperRoom drum demo for years, and I think his is probably about as good and practical as one could hope for. It kind of re-ignited the idea of getting one, and I had never before considered looking for used ones.

After watching the videos, I'm surprise he thought a bit of sound proofing would be effective enough that the drums wouldn't bother other people in the house. What he did would be great for making sure the neighbours aren't annoyed, but I wouldn't want to be reading in the next room if he was playing drums. I'm still not entirely convinced that even a Whisper Room would be good enough for that.

I'd been looking for a good WhisperRoom drum demo for years, and I think his is probably about as good and practical as one could hope for. It kind of re-ignited the idea of getting one, and I had never before considered looking for used ones.
I'm considering buying one of the double-walled models for my next house.

Saw this video and what stood out most to me is that it would cost $33-35,000 for a soundproofed room or a new Whisper Room. Damn!

Saw this video and what stood out most to me is that it would cost $33-35,000 for a soundproofed room or a new Whisper Room. Damn!
Yeah, I think Whisper Room's top models are around $40K. A good chunk of money but it seems like a better way to go as it can be dismantled and moved or sold if I end up making another move down the line.

Yeah, I think Whisper Room's top models are around $40K. A good chunk of money but it seems like a better way to go as it can be dismantled and moved or sold if I end up making another move down the line.
Good point. Creating a studio in a house has no value for the next owner (so you loose your money) unless he or she is a musician.
Otherwise, it might even be a negative 'feature'.

Back