Is it just me, or does this sound wrong?

8Mile

Platinum Member
The intro to Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel Of Love features a drum machine. Ever since I first heard this part 25 years ago, it's bothered me. What the heck is up with the bass drum pattern? Those 16th notes sound completely flubbed, like someone tapped them in real time, didn't get the note spacing right and didn't bother to quantize them or something. It's too fast to be "swung," so I assume that's not it.

http://youtu.be/Nw2OnNoy5JQ

Anyone? Am I the only one bothered by this?

Was nobody else ever bothered by this?

Yes it sounds like it's broken.
Cue the white guys trying to dance and clapping on 1 and 3

Neal

I've never been a real big fan of Springsteen, and this is one of his worst ones. That intro is awful. Do you think it was a drum machine or was it Max playing?

I've never been a real big fan of Springsteen, and this is one of his worst ones. That intro is awful. Do you think it was a drum machine or was it Max playing?

It definitely sounds like a drum machine to me. I bet Max would have done a more accurate job. It sounds off to me. How you do mess up programming like this or let it get on the final mix? LOL

I have that album. In fact it's on my iPod that I use to play along and have heard that too many times and always wondered if that was accidental or not. Or maybe had some purpose. I will listen again when I get home, but you are right it is not in rhythm.

Re: Is it just me, or does this sound wrong?rew

It sounds like there was an acoustic drum track set over a drum machine track and it didn't match up. That's my guess.

Love Max Weinberg but Mad Vinnie whatever his name, Bruce's original drummer wss better for Bruce's music. His first LP had great drumming...

I read somewhere that Bruce used a Linn drum machine for all the electronic drum parts on this album.

But yeah, I still wonder why the part was done that way. It just sounds bad to my ears. And it's not like it's buried somewhere in the track and got overlooked; it's right in your face, all by itself, during the intro.

Tunnel of Love for me is one of Bruce's more stripped down personal albums. His idea was to add just enough to make the song work without it being an E Street wall of sound.

I'll bet Bruce programmed that intro himself. It does bug me too!! The song doesn't even really need it. He could have just used the Roller Coaster screams and it would work. All the programmed drums on that feel a little stiff and Dance-y. Two Steps Back I think has the most organic drums on that album.

I have that album too. In the credits it feels like the E street guys barely play much at all. They simply add touches of what Bruce could not do himself to support the song here and there.

I do love the cover though! Bruce in his bolo tie western wear leaning on that cool Cadillac.. I have the cover framed just for that!

doesn't bother me

I like things that sound odd and off ....sloppy even

Brilliant Disguise off that album is one of his best written songs in my opinion

cool video as well.....the whole video is one shot with no edits

captures the Jersey Shore well, much better than the awful reality TV show

I actually meant the Brilliant Disguise video .....

but yeah.....that god awful television show made me ashamed of telling people where I am from

what a disgusting representation ......and worse is that I don't think any of those horrible people are from the Garden State.....maybe one?....no idea

it just sucks that the whole country....hell the whole world thinks that is what NJ is like.... disgusting

I would much rather be associated with Bruce Springsteen, Count Basie , and Frank Sinatra like the days before that horrid piece of pop culture

I'm a big fan of the album, actually. One Step Up is a beautiful tune, one of his best, IMO.

I share a Bday with Bruce. And John Coltrane. Not bad, eh?

The three 16ths do sound squeezed together, out of perfect time.

I hear it, but it doesn't bother me.

I'm one of those people who figure the artist puts out what he or she (or the record company, or producer, etc etc) wants, and I don't really analyze it. I just listen. Or not.

It just sounds like someone played with the "Swing" knob on the drum machine and found something they liked. It doesn't bother me, but yes, it's not 'perfect'.

The three 16ths do sound squeezed together, out of perfect time.

I hear it, but it doesn't bother me.

I'm one of those people who figure the artist puts out what he or she (or the record company, or producer, etc etc) wants, and I don't really analyze it. I just listen. Or not.

Same here. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out. I don't care at all how exact an artist is. There's an awful lot of very exact music out now that sells squillions and has precious little sincerity or imagination.

doesn't bother me

I like things that sound odd and off ....sloppy even

Ditto. I'm glad we didn't have today's emphasis on precision in the 60s and 70s or an awful lot of great music (and musicians) would never have never gone beyond local gigging.

If you listen you can here more of the same later in the song so it may have been a loop.

I actually meant the Brilliant Disguise video .....

but yeah.....that god awful television show made me ashamed of telling people where I am from

what a disgusting representation ......and worse is that I don't think any of those horrible people are from the Garden State.....maybe one?....no idea

it just sucks that the whole country....hell the whole world thinks that is what NJ is like.... disgusting

I would much rather be associated with Bruce Springsteen, Count Basie , and Frank Sinatra like the days before that horrid piece of pop culture

First to the OP.That pattern is definately off,but I have to believe the Boss did it on purpose.

Second....Tony,I completely agree.I'don't know id you've ever seen "Mob Wives" which takes place on Staten Island,and that piece of trash is equally embarassing just a most "reality" shows are.Just like the show about Victoria Gotti.

Some kids here watch this stuff,and actually believe guys Like John Gotti are American hero's.Makes me sick to my stomach.

Steve B

Back