Internet in remote/rural areas. (what do you use/recommend?)

doggyd69b

Gold Member
I just sold my Ca house and I put an offer in a SC house, great house with everything we would want, but the issue I might have is that internet is not much available there, no verizon, no T-mobile, Huges internet (which got poor reviews) Spectrum, viasat... I heard of Nomad (this one got mixed reviews).. I hope they add more choices but it is a rural area so maybe not any time soon. any recommendations will be appreciated.

I usually live in an Airstream, I use my AT&T unlimited data for Internet. It's only 4g for the first megabyte or so, and 3g after that, but unlimited. Good enough to stream YouTube most of the time. $60/month, also unlimited texting and phone.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you have coverage in that location.

Is Starlink available yet? If not, maybe check 4G availability at the new house. HughesNet is the last option.
Sometimes the local telephone company offers DSL, ask your next-door neighbors if it’s available there.

We use our phones here. There are no cable lines where I live. Everything is over the air. You want cable or home internet, you need a dish. Otherwise its tv antenna, phones and hot spots.

AT&T* (whom we hate with a passion) works best where I am. Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile, and Trac Fone barely get signal.

* If you have AT&T phone and autopay, it rotates on a 30 day schedule. This means your due date constantly changes, which messes with budgeting. Also, after 6 years you have paid for an extra month of service you didnt get. And they refuse to allow us to just pick a day to pay and keep it set. They have also shut our phones off prematurely trying to fix account errors, which costs more $$$ to turn back on because they "cant just turn them back on". Lies, lies, lies.

I check Starlink, not available yet but I put myself on a list, Huges net has terrible reviews so that is a no, T mobile seems to have the most coverage in the area but doesn't offer the service... Nomad however does (using T mobile's network or Verizon) Nomad has had mixed reviews.. I just don't want to lose on a great house because of bad internet, but internet (reliable and fast) is a must for me for work, school and for my wife's work as well... I guess you can't have it all nice house, lot's of land and reliable internet... oh wait I have it now in CA (although I just sold my house)...

We use our phones here. There are no cable lines where I live. Everything is over the air. You want cable or home internet, you need a dish. Otherwise its tv antenna, phones and hot spots.

AT&T* (whom we hate with a passion) works best where I am. Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile, and Trac Fone barely get signal.

* If you have AT&T phone and autopay, it rotates on a 30 day schedule. This means your due date constantly changes, which messes with budgeting. Also, after 6 years you have paid for an extra month of service you didnt get. And they refuse to allow us to just pick a day to pay and keep it set. They have also shut our phones off prematurely trying to fix account errors, which costs more $$$ to turn back on because they "cant just turn them back on". Lies, lies, lies.
I have AT&T now, I have not had many issues with them here in Ca or in Hawaii, but I am not sure how they will be on the other side of the country...

Or you can look at this as an opportunity to lose the internet altogether and get back to living in the real world 😉
I need it for my work unfortunately, but I have plans to otherwise do more projects (I do woodworking as a hobby have have built several things), I will start with upgrading kitchen storage and garage, plus any other upgrades that the house can use. So I plan to keep myself busy with that but I will still need internet for work and for school.

Starlink.

I’ve had it for four months and it’s worth it. We can stream two movies to different screens without buffering. I can upload 2GB files to clients and, while slower than fiber, it gets it done.

Starlink.

I’ve had it for four months and it’s worth it. We can stream two movies to different screens without buffering. I can upload 2GB files to clients and, while slower than fiber, it gets it done.

I signed for them but is not yet available..they will contact me when it is.

In 2019 there was no coverage in my area, but by early 2021 there was. Hang in there.

View attachment 109317

View attachment 109318

View attachment 109316

Maps from https://starlink.sx/
I haven't bought the house yet, finalizing the sale of the one here in CA, (Can't believe I sold it in 3 days!) I guess 2.5 acres and 2500 sq ft property in the San Diego area are not that common (with views of the mountains and actual usable [not in a steep hill] acreage).
As I mentioned before I don't want the internet to be a deal breaker because some of those houses are pretty awesome one has two acres but the option to buy 70 more acres (what would I do with that much land?)....

I watched a couple of videos talking about Starlink's plans to expand, it was pretty interesting, so now instead of costing them millions per satellite, it amounts to 250-300 thousand (including the cost to pay for the rocket to launch and all staff needed to make it happen.. they are launching some 60 satellites every month so most US areas should be covered relatively quick. the people testing in YouTube are getting some ridiculous speeds some 140 Mbps (for comparison in my current home in Ca I get about 50 Mbps while streaming Netflix HD in the PS4 and watching YouTube in a tablet at max settings at the same time), so maybe I get a little more than 50Mbps if I just do one device but the current speed is plenty capable of handling multiple HD video streams not just two so I can't imagine how almost triple that speed would do so hopefully this keeps expanding coverage and I can get it in GA or SC wherever I end up buying my next house...

Astronomers are livid about starlink because it’s blotting out visibility into space, making filming and research impossible.

I remember some years ago people were proposing a system of internet dirigibles floating around the sky worldwide. Of course that would come with its own set of problems, but I think it would be neat looking.

Astronomers are livid about starlink because it’s blotting out visibility into space, making filming and research impossible.

I remember some years ago people were proposing a system of internet dirigibles floating around the sky worldwide. Of course that would come with its own set of problems, but I think it would be neat looking.
rucoy5lpd5j71.jpg

in my current home in Ca I get about 50 Mbps
I unboxed my Starlink kit, set the dish out in my yard (where there are minimal obstructions to the north, east and west) and after two days, took this reading. What keeps nerds like @Supergrobi intrigued is the ping speed. Perhaps once the on-board satellite lasers are functional (for sat-to-sat direct communications) I'll be able to ping a server in Germany faster than the transatlantic hardwire.

Tip: The clearer the view the dish has ("Dishy" to the indoctrinated) of the sky, the faster the connection, plus far fewer dropouts (occurs when a satellite is exiting your coverage area and hands off your feed to another satellite, which is partially blocked by trees/buildings as it enters the coverage area).

IMG_7764.png

Tip: The clearer the view the dish has ("Dishy" to the indoctrinated) of the sky, the faster the connection, plus far fewer dropouts
I dont think it would work for me. Im amongst tons of huge trees on the east side of a mountain. Part of the property is cleared, but its maybe the size of a football field in total.

I dont think it would work for me. Im amongst tons of huge trees on the east side of a mountain. Part of the property is cleared, but its maybe the size of a football field in total.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

05175E89-5A9A-4FAA-9058-9B71B018D510.jpeg

Back