In the market for some new hats

805Drummer

Gold Member
I am really growing tired of my PST 3 hi hats, and I have exactly $430 (!), so I'm thinking about getting some new ones.
The problem is, Guitar Center only has crashes and rides on display! Of course, they have 4 or 5 hi hats lying around on kits, but not nearly enough to test them out.
So, using Drummerworld's collective expertise, do you have any recommendations for me?
I play pop and rock mostly, but also a bit of funk and metal. So obviously, I need something relatively versatile.
Something with a nice "chick" sound when being closed, but with a medium pitch and kind of washy, but not too much.
And when doing rolls and stickings on top of it, having plenty of definitions, but not overboard.

I've been looking at the AAX X-Celerator (Brilliant), as well as the AAX Metal and AAX Stage, but I'm not completely sure. I know I want 14," because I'm comfortable with that size. And I would prefer to buy a Sabian because at Musician's Friend, they come with a rebate that includes a free 14" AAX X-plosion China, which I would really like, because I didn't get my PST 5 China for Chanukah (which is totally cool, I got gift cards instead).

Or should I go with Zildjian? Or Paiste? Something that fits my description. Thank yoooooouuuuuuuuu!!!!

-805drummer

Last edited:
I played the 14" AAX stage the other day and was very impressed with how bright and crisp they were. Very nice hats. I think they would serve you well with all the genres you spoke of.

Somebody posted this over at www.drumsmith.com but if you are not a member I think you can't get in.
I know those are 15" but they are excellent cymbals, and he only wants $185.00 for them not $250 anymore as it says beyond.
I would e-mail him and ask for pics.
$185 leaves you with $245 you can get a nice crash cymbal for that.
They are not mine and I do not know the person, just trying to help.

Here is his post:

Bought these in September for around $370.00

They're in great shape, play great, sound great. Very versatile set of 15" hats. Medium means medium in this case, these have a great balance between dark and soft and bright and full.
Looking to get $250 obo.
OR possibly trade for a 22" K Ride or 24" K Light Ride.

Photos are available.
PayPal preferred.

Please email me if interested.
[email protected]

Thanks, and happy holidays!

I recommend a used pair of zildjian A 14" Newbeat hihats. You can get them on ebay for $100-150.

Wayne

My school has some vintage New Beats, and they sound cool, but only on the school's kit, I wouldn't like them on my kit. Unless the New Beat line has changed a lot, they sound too heavy. Anything brighter?

And right now I'm taking a look at the HHX line...I've heard they're more for jazz, but maybe that's not true.

EDIT: Okay, I just listened to all of the HHX cymbals, and overall, they seemed very heavy, and had a certain "glassy" quality which I wasn't liking too much.

However, for the AAX line, I keep on listening to the 14" Stage hats, which I am DIGGING.

I also liked the 14" AA Rock hats, but not as much.

How about some New Beats? They fit your description perfectly, and they'll "age" with you. You're pretty young right? Same here. Your musical tastes are going to change, more likely quieter, less amplified music. Zildjian A New Beats are great for anything. They've got all the qualities you listed, and then some-they're versatile as hell. Those would be my choice.

My school has some vintage New Beats, and they sound cool, but only on the school's kit, I wouldn't like them on my kit. Unless the New Beat line has changed a lot, they sound too heavy. Anything brighter?..................

...........I also liked the 14" AA Rock hats, but not as much.

New Beats SHOULD be lighter than AA Rock Hats. If you get some vintage ones, the weight range is HUGE. I've played on some that are like playing on cotton and others that are like playing on rocks. Nowadays, they are a bit on the med-heavy side of high hats, but if you find some nice older ones that are thinner, you'll have found heaven. Good chick, good wash, great definition, easy to play quiet, easy to play loud...heaven I tell you!

New Beats SHOULD be lighter than AA Rock Hats. If you get some vintage ones, the weight range is HUGE. I've played on some that are like playing on cotton and others that are like playing on rocks. Nowadays, they are a bit on the med-heavy side of high hats, but if you find some nice older ones that are thinner, you'll have found heaven. Good chick, good wash, great definition, easy to play quiet, easy to play loud...heaven I tell you!

Wow, I listened to them on Zildjian's website, and they do sound pretty sweet. $240 on http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-ZIL0130?source=froogle

I know you recommend buying used, but there's really no way to tell how they sound...so wouldn't it be better to just get some shiny new ones?

Wow, I listened to them on Zildjian's website, and they do sound pretty sweet. $240 on http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-ZIL0130?source=froogle

I know you recommend buying used, but there's really no way to tell how they sound...so wouldn't it be better to just get some shiny new ones?

$240 is for the 13", I would recommend the 14". Also if you mail order them you won't get to here them either. Try craigslist first Otherwise with ebay, you'll be able to sell them for about what you paid for them if you don't like them. For your budget, you can get a whole set of very nice used Zildjian A's.

The new beats today are heavier and brighter than the ones that I have from the 80's. You may like that.

What I suggest, you do not do is buy another set of non-pro cymbals. Stay away from ZBT, ZHT, ZXT, B8, PST, Alpha .

Wayne

well, its seems that Sabian seems to be your gut reaction and usually your gut never lies ;-)
if you like the AA line check out the 'fusion' hats, just a little livelier than the 'rock' hats.

but just because you asked for different cymbal makers you could look at the K Custom Hyrid hats - crisp and dry with just a little sizzle.

also look at the Paiste 2002 'Crunch' hats - their sound seems to be what you are looking for, i have not played these myself, im just going off a sound clip from Paistes site, but many guys here at DW say Paistes sound files are excellent...

whichever way you go, good luck and good hunting!

$240 is for the 13", I would recommend the 14". Also if you mail order them you won't get to here them either. Try craigslist first Otherwise with ebay, you'll be able to sell them for about what you paid for them if you don't like them. For your budget, you can get a whole set of very nice used Zildjian A's.

The new beats today are heavier and brighter than the ones that I have from the 80's. You may like that.

What I suggest, you do not do is buy another set of non-pro cymbals. Stay away from ZBT, ZHT, ZXT, B8, PST, Alpha .

Wayne

DEFINITELY no more beginner cymbals. Only pro.

And my craigslist, sadly, is kind of lame when it comes to cymbals. There's quite a few chinas on there, but hi-hats, rarely. I'd have to go with ebay, although there are these:

$200 Mastersound Hihats (14") http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/972573676.html
$175 A Custom Projection hi-hats (13") http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/969876741.html

Now I have to go check ebay, and I think I'll also call my local used music store.

And you think I could get a whole set of A's for $430???

well, its seems that Sabian seems to be your gut reaction and usually your gut never lies ;-)
if you like the AA line check out the 'fusion' hats, just a little livelier than the 'rock' hats.

but just because you asked for different cymbal makers you could look at the K Custom Hyrid hats - crisp and dry with just a little sizzle.

also look at the Paiste 2002 'Crunch' hats - their sound seems to be what you are looking for, i have not played these myself, im just going off a sound clip from Paistes site, but many guys here at DW say Paistes sound files are excellent...

whichever way you go, good luck and good hunting!

Well, it's not that Sabian is my "gut reaction," but I'd really like the free china. Which, of course, I wouldn't get if I bought used. The best I've heard from Sabian are the 14" AAX Stage hi-hats, which I would get if I went with Sabian.

But I've heard some good stuff from Zildjian, being the New Beats, K Custom Hybrids, Mastersound (kind of). Their website is far inferior to Paiste's though, which tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about the cymbal, as Zildjian's site is pretty sparse on details.

I'll keep hunting, and let you know when I find something.

Meanwhile, any more suggestions?

EDIT: 14" New Beats (the new kind) for $245

Last edited:
I just got back from Guitar Center and Best Buy, and CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT NEITHER OF THESE PLACES LET ME TRY THE HIHATS?!!!

At Best Buy, they had their hi-hats on a rack, and when I asked the sales guy if I could try them out, he's like "all of them sound the same." Then I just asked if I could just try them, because I was interested in buying. No dice, he said that those are the ones they sell, so you can't damage them. Same with Guitar Center.

Basically, I have to buy a pair without actually hearing them first.

What to do?

Jeez, I would have complained to management.

Guitar Center tried to tell me I couldn't hit the snares because they thought I would break them somehow. So I asked to see their manager telling them I was just testing them out to see if I could give them some business, but after seeing how rude the employees are, I told them I'd go over to Samash.

Jeez, I would have complained to management.

Guitar Center tried to tell me I couldn't hit the snares because they thought I would break them somehow. So I asked to see their manager telling them I was just testing them out to see if I could give them some business, but after seeing how rude the employees are, I told them I'd go over to Samash.

Too bad there aren't any Sam Ashes were I live...but I actually kind of think he was being honest...I did not see any bagged hats, I think they sold what was on the floor. Or maybe it's just because I look like a 10-year-old boy who can't play drums.

I recommend a used pair of zildjian A 14" Newbeat hihats. You can get them on ebay for $100-150.

Wayne

Early '70s New Beats are the way to go. And you might be able to find them for under $100 on eBay if you get lucky.

Too heavy? 800-900g top and 1100-1300g bottom. Not too heavy.

personally i'd go with HHX stage hats. amazing 'chick' and sound awesome when doing rolls and stuff. If you prefer AAX you can't go wrong with the stage or aaxcelerator hats although the stage hats might be a better choice for you from what i'm reading here.

I just got back from Guitar Center and Best Buy, and CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT NEITHER OF THESE PLACES LET ME TRY THE HIHATS?!!!

wow, this is unacceptable and i would say unforgivable. young or old it does'nt matter, thats like saying "buy this new car without a testdrive" - it just does'nt make sense. i have been in and out of several music stores in my area countless times and at worst i have to ask for a pair of sticks, but nothing like an out right refusal - i can't imagine...

i'm sorry man, hope you can find a store with a more professional and friendly attitude.

edit - you know what contact guitar center and give em hell, let them know what this store is about and see if that changes anything - get mad and get even :)

Back