In the market for some new hats

Hey that rebate offer for the AAXtreme Chinese is a Sabian deal, not just Musician's Friend. So if you buy any Sabian AAX hats, you can send the rebate form into Sabian and get that china. As for hat's go, I've got the AAX X-celerator's and I love them. I use 13" hats, and to me, they have so much of a faster, versatile, and quick sound. Also, the Zildjian K hats are amazing. I personally do not like the Zildjian A New Beats...I know everyone does. I was about to haul off and buy them just because of the great reviews online, but I ended up trying them and just didn't like how it felt when I hit them...and ended up with the Sabian AAX's. So go try them out before you buy because everyone has a different taste!

John

Ok, so you really have $430? That my friend, is amazing. That is JUST the right price for some new hats. For me, I would go with some 14" Sabian HHX Groove Hats. Those define versatile. I like the sounds that I have heard from players like Chris Pennie. Other then that, I think that some HH Fusions or Mediums would do the trick. Now, this is just my reccomendation, because I like my hats dark and complex, but if you like AAX and AA, then I would reccomend some AA Mediums or some AAX X-Celerators. I myself JUST picked up some AAX 13" X-celerator Hats today and really love them. They are fast, clean and have a nice chick. My only complaint is the open sound, which isn't as good as I wanted them to be, but they still are amazing overall. I would definatly reccomend those. I got mine for $220 so if you have $430 those would be a steal.
If you want to venture outside the wonderful world of Sabian, I would reccomend some Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats. Bonham, Paice and Carey use them, so you know they are good. Also, Istanbul Agop Sultan Hats are really good as well. Hope this helps and happy choosing!

No one mentioned plain old 14" Zildjian Custom A's. An all around great hat, medium pitch, not too anything, and versatile. What I always end up doing is taking advantage of the return policy. Buy a pair and play it for a week, return them if you don't like them, buy another pair, return them if you don't like them, and repeat as necessary until you find some you don't want to return.

that guitar center crap is BS. People are always at my guitar center bashing away.

btw i recommend paiste 2oo2 sound edge hihats or signature hi hats. The sigs will eat up all your money though butt man do they sound good.

Yes, I have, Twice, for less than that.
I'm trying to help you here and I don't appreciate your sarcastic response.
Don't base your judgment on a small sample of craigslist.

Wayne

Dude, I'm so sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, but when I was typing the post, I realized it might be interpreted that way. I'm never sarcastic when people are helping me.

personally i'd go with HHX stage hats. amazing 'chick' and sound awesome when doing rolls and stuff. If you prefer AAX you can't go wrong with the stage or aaxcelerator hats although the stage hats might be a better choice for you from what i'm reading here.

I didn't really like any of the HHX stuff on Sabian's site...I compared them to others, some sounded okay, but nothing perfect.

Ok, so you really have $430? That my friend, is amazing. That is JUST the right price for some new hats. For me, I would go with some 14" Sabian HHX Groove Hats. Those define versatile. I like the sounds that I have heard from players like Chris Pennie. Other then that, I think that some HH Fusions or Mediums would do the trick. Now, this is just my reccomendation, because I like my hats dark and complex, but if you like AAX and AA, then I would reccomend some AA Mediums or some AAX X-Celerators. I myself JUST picked up some AAX 13" X-celerator Hats today and really love them. They are fast, clean and have a nice chick. My only complaint is the open sound, which isn't as good as I wanted them to be, but they still are amazing overall. I would definatly reccomend those. I got mine for $220 so if you have $430 those would be a steal.
If you want to venture outside the wonderful world of Sabian, I would reccomend some Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats. Bonham, Paice and Carey use them, so you know they are good. Also, Istanbul Agop Sultan Hats are really good as well. Hope this helps and happy choosing!

The X-Celerators just sounded WAY to bright on the recording to me. I want something a bit more neutral. I didn't like any of the AAs either.

No one mentioned plain old 14" Zildjian Custom A's. An all around great hat, medium pitch, not too anything, and versatile. What I always end up doing is taking advantage of the return policy. Buy a pair and play it for a week, return them if you don't like them, buy another pair, return them if you don't like them, and repeat as necessary until you find some you don't want to return.

WAIT A MINUTE. Does Guitar Center let you do that? If so, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. That doesn't even make sense...I mean it does, but...seriously? So let me get this straight:

I can buy a pair of New Beats.

Try them for ONE WEEK.

Return them if I don't like them.

And take home another pair for a week?!!!

You are a genius, and I promise that is not sarcasm.

It's kind of like stealing, except you're paying full price for them...

What about the stick marks?

UPDATE: I'm either going to Atomic Music today or tomorrow. I will most likely come home with a new drum set, a bunch of cymbals, and a whole lot of happiness.

Wish me luck!

I didn't really like any of the HHX stuff on Sabian's site...

i hate to say it but the recordings on Sabian's site are not very accurate, you really have to play them personally, they sound terrific!
and have fun at the music store, i hope 'Atomic' treats you better than GC did, good hunting!

i hate to say it but the recordings on Sabian's site are not very accurate, you really have to play them personally, they sound terrific!
and have fun at the music store, i hope 'Atomic' treats you better than GC did, good hunting!

Alright, well, I'm just gonna try out whatever Atomic has to offer;

IMG_7642.JPG

http://www.atomicmusiconline.com/images/0sacred/IMG_7638.JPG[/IMG

LOOK AT ALL THOSE SNARE DRUMS!

Yes. On eBay. 1960s - early 1970s are your best bet.

And the early New Beats are winners. Period.

Basically anything up until the 80s. I've played/owned some hollow ink logos that were pretty nice sounding, like some from the 50s. Thin and mellow. When the ink logo got filled in, so did the bright upper frequencies of the cymbals...

I know you recommend buying used, but there's really no way to tell how they sound...so wouldn't it be better to just get some shiny new ones?

Craigslist, my friend. Craigslist. You may have to wait about a week to find a pair, but you can try them out no problem. And, you get them for a lot cheaper. I, personally, don't mind waiting a little while to pay a LOT less. But, you never know what you'll get if you buy off of eBay or even places that sample the sounds of the cymbals...

Here's a whole used set of pro Zildjian A's for $352 shipped:

I would skip the crash as it's not that great a deal. I've picked up the same model for $90 and $70 (craigslist) but the Hihats and ride are a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zildjian-14-New...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Zildjia...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zildjian-A-Medi...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318

That hi-hats are sold, and I don't want a vintage ride at all. Bummer.

Basically anything up until the 80s. I've played/owned some hollow ink logos that were pretty nice sounding, like some from the 50s. Thin and mellow. When the ink logo got filled in, so did the bright upper frequencies of the cymbals...

Craigslist, my friend. Craigslist. You may have to wait about a week to find a pair, but you can try them out no problem. And, you get them for a lot cheaper. I, personally, don't mind waiting a little while to pay a LOT less. But, you never know what you'll get if you buy off of eBay or even places that sample the sounds of the cymbals...

Yeah, I think I'm gonna keep my eyes out for used ones on Craigslist. I don't like ebay as much, but I still check it.

I just got back from Atomic Music. Lots of stuff was just sold for the holidays, but they still had some stuff. They had a nice-sounding pair of 15" Paiste Sound Edge hi hats, but they were $270, over-priced, and out of my price range (under $200). They also had a Gretsch Stealth kit that I was looking at for $350, but I didn't want to buy it completely on impulse.

HOWEVER, I did get $140 for my Export bass drum and toms! YIPPEE!! Now I have a complete PDP 805!

270 on15' 2oo2 sound edge hihats, OVERPRICED!!!!!!! are you kidding me? If they were new that sounds like a hell of a deal to me. They would normally run around 340-350

270 on15' 2oo2 sound edge hihats, OVERPRICED!!!!!!! are you kidding me? If they were new that sounds like a hell of a deal to me. They would normally run around 340-350

I know, luckily, I looked it up on my dad's iPhone and saw that they go for $350 new. I was like "no way." Was the Gretsch stealth a good deal for $350? Or just okay?

I know, luckily, I looked it up on my dad's iPhone and saw that they go for $350 new. I was like "no way." Was the Gretsch stealth a good deal for $350? Or just okay?

Is that part of that catalina line? sorry i don't know squat about gretsch drums over that the renowns are beautiful lol.

9x13, 16x16, 18x24 - just three pieces, but the hardware was solid, and it sounded pretty good with evans clear g2s on it.

Like, my whole drum set is a PDP 805. No extra Export drums, or anything.

Now I'm either gonna buy new cymbals, or a new kit.

No no no no no.....

New cymbals. No one in their right mind would buy another kit when they have a pretty decent one in their living room, with not so decent cymbals. You need to get your priorities straight.

Back