If you had to learn drums all over again what would you do differently?

Just wondering if the people who have those regrets are actually working on all those things now..

Since the past is the past, not much to change about that..

Just wondering if the people who have those regrets are actually working on all those things now..

Since the past is the past, not much to change about that..

I've been working on my left hand for quite a number of years and bought a double pedal so I can practise left handed and left footed without having to change my setup. Same with slow deliberate practise and having the discipline to really pick apart what I want to learn. Both are now just a normal part of my playing.

I would just make sure I'm not using those nasty b8 stamped cymbals for years and also focus a little more on musicality as for long stretches I got way to technical for technicalities sake. Like, sure I can do a double stroke roll for days and it's really smooth, but man, I haven't really had any musical opportunities to actually do that. Same with the huge 64th note fills I used to love as a kid. Not musical.

I'd also see a teacher sooner so I could get through some of the early technical limitations without so much struggle, but not as big a deal there.

I would have been a beginner earlier. I always did love drums, but had developed facility on other instruments by their accessibility.

I think I would have insisted that my teacher, which was snare, bass drum, cymbals, other percussion, and not drum set, would have focused more on the left side. I played tympani, but got little instruction.

It is an interesting question to ponder. Personally, I have zero regrets.

Everything I did make sense at the time and wouldn't change any of it.

I feel beyond fortunate to of had the amazing teachers I've had and the playing opportunities I've been provided.

When I first picked up my sticks in 1976, I couldn't of imagined taking it where I did.

I was fortunate enough to have three years of piano training and music theory before I picked up my first drum kit (and five additional years piano after I started playing drums). I wish I had located a different drum teacher early on that I could have connected with like I did with my piano teacher. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming my first and only drum instructor in any way, shape or form. He was a really cool guy but I never understood where we were headed or why. I would have stuck with a drum instructor for years if he/she had provided a balanced approach to the rudiments as well as essential beats and fills simultaneously in my course of study. My biggest regret is not having looked for another instructor for that right fit. I have to take full responsibility for any bad habits I picked up afterwards from being self-taught.

Not a single thing.

Woodshed more in high school.

I pretty much rode on natural talent and skills that carried over from my piano playing days, from when I started drums at age 12 to probably early 20's, when I finally got my ass in gear and really started working on technique.

Really, I felt I had no need to work on stuff or practice, because I was the best drummer in my class, and I was better than most the drummers the next grade up, and even a few of the drummers two grades up. I was already good, why bother with practicing and being serious about technique?

Bit me in the ass when I realized I wasn't as good as I wanted to be once I got out of college.

I would have learned to have less of an ego and a bit more humility when being taught by the teachers I was fortunate to have, because unfortunately for me, their criticisms were falling on deaf ears. Had I listened, I would have been a much better drummer than I am now, and would not have to be working on my left hand, my rudiments, my touch, my time, my groove, and my sensibilities at this point in my life.

Use a metronome from day 1.

I have no regrets, but would have spent more time on playing jazz. I listen to a lot, but haven't worked enough on comping with the left hand, right hand swing feels etc. That said, I'm happy being the drummer I am.

Well, I wouldn't stop for 20 years, certainly...

Like others have said, I'd try and learn the rudiments properly, and more left hand/foot independence.

Back