I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Pearl drums as long as they have that bathroom plumbing tom mount, DW kits as I think they're WAY overpriced ( don't like the lugs either ), I don't care for wraps, and lastly, anything smaller than a 22" bass drum.

Things that don't affect me are badges and company names.

Some of the best looking kits I've seen have been RED !!

Nailed it. The plumbing mount, the round lugs, the old man wraps - I could never own a "vintage" kit as I cannot stand wraps.

With regards to the DW comments, I could never justify their cost. I do like them, probably as much as I like some of the other brands. I've been playing a PDP MX kit I got used several years ago after I had to sell all of my gear to survive a layoff. I've never been able to swing for the same quality gear and the PDP kit I picked up was a 5 piece with HW and XS20 cymbals, axis pedal, cow bell, blocks, etc for $700. The bearing edges on the shells were junk, so they didn't sound good at all. They wouldn't stay tuned either. I had the edges recut and threw on some heavier rims and wow did that ever make a huge difference.

I never really considered the brand that much or thought much of them, but 7 years later I'm still playing them and get complements on their sound. Pretty tired of my XS20s though. This will be the year I finally get to upgrade.

This was supposed to be a what you'd never buy thread, so I guess it would have to be an overpriced kit of any brand. Oh, and my kit isn't red, but I wish it was. :)

A Guru. Just could not justify the price. Even if I won the lottery! I would buy a Ferrari, a Leer Jet, a Manhattan apartment etc,.... and a couple more DW Collectors for sure. I would not buy any kit made in China or Japan and especially not a RED kit. Most of you know I'm joking, for those that don't, I'm joking. Except for the "couple more DW's" part.

Last edited:
Natural wood finish drums. Don't care how many on here say they are beautiful, to me they are ugly. Nope...not gonna happen.

Is this a drum only thread? Or cymbals?

For drums, I refuse to buy Mapex. Mapex anything. The name and the badge just ruins it for me.

One cymbal that bugs me is the Zildjian A "ping ride". I think they sound pretty awful plus every single one I've played feels the same, awful. Not sure about a ZBT but if the last two cymbals on earth were a ZHT or a A ping ride, I'd take the ZHT all day.

Vistalite drums....or any drums you can see right through....something just not quite right about that. Yet they don't sound that bad. Makes me wonder why we are so pedantic about the types of wood and how many plies there are on our drums. Also cymbals that have any paint on them at all (not including the logo)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because you're a Mapex guy - LOL

I kid, I kid.

I know YOU'RE joking but I mean how shallow is somebody who won't buy something because of name only? That's like saying you won't date somebody named Sue. WTF? I laugh when I read bold pronouncements like that.

I'm not a fanboy of anything. I do love my Mapex kit. I try to buy quality stuff, after much research, at blowout/wholesale prices. I have Mapex and Tama kits, Ludwig, Black Panther, Tama, and Yamaha snares. A mix of Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, Pearl , Gibraltar, Tama hardware, DW throne, Mapex Falcon pedals etc etc.

Bottom line is if it works well, and I've got a chance to buy it at an insanely low price, I'm on it like white on rice. 5 pc Mapex Saturn IV Exotic, new in box, no blemishes, ships in 3 days for $729.00? Sure, that's ALL me. 4 pc Tama Starclassic Performer Birch Bubinga in Crystal Blue Burst with not a scratch on it save for a small patch of pedal rash on the low side of the batter hoop, for $750.00? Oh yeah, I'm in !!

I think there's still a bit lingering ill will towards Mapex here on D-world from that sticks4drums cat that was tossed off of here for dubious postings. I wasn't on here then but I do know he's definitely a fanboy.

That's because you're a Mapex guy - LOL

I kid, I kid.

I loved my Mapex kit when I had it. Still regret selling it. It wasn't even a high end kit. Just a horizon birch 6 piece.
In my opinion the best tom mounts and value for the sound I got. Also the most comfortable I ever was behind a kit with more than four drums because the mounts allowed close positioning of the toms unlike rims.

Anothother thing I won't buy. More than one rack tom that uses rims. Can never get them close enough together.

A second floor tom. Not that I have any issue with the place they have in drumming, but my arms are too short and my back too inflexible!

I do find the drummers that hate Mapex to be curious. When I was younger I was strongly a Gretsch guy and then a Ludwig guy. After not playing for 30 years when it was time to buy a new (used but new to me) kit, I decided to not have any preconceived notions of brand preference.

I was looking for the best sounding used kits for the money I had. I tried Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, Gretsch, and DW. I preferred the sound of my maple M series Mapex drums to any of the others. If my budget was not an issue it may be different but even then, the sound of the Mapex I have played have been quite good.

I was looking for the best sounding used kits for the money I had. I tried Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, Gretsch, and DW. I preferred the sound of my maple M series Mapex drums to any of the others. If my budget was not an issue it may be different but even then, the sound of the Mapex I have played have been quite good.

I almost got the mars series with the 24. But a Ludwig element birch won for the price. The only negative about the mars was the 12 inch tom. I think a 13 would suit a 24 better. I have no regrets, just thoughts about what could have been. Both are amazing bang for the buck kits.

And I really like how the RED mars finish looks. And it's a WRAP!

Take THAT red and wrap haters!

A Guru. Just could not justify the price. Even if I won the lottery! I would buy a Ferrari, a Leer Jet, a Manhattan apartment etc,.... and a couple more DW Collectors for sure. I would not buy any kit made in China or Japan and especially not a RED kit. Most of you know I'm joking, for those that don't, I'm joking. Except for the "couple more DW's" part.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but if you want to get your DW's sounding even better than they already do, take off those horrid rubber gaskets under the lugs. Especially on the smaller drums. It really makes an audible difference. I've been meaning to ask you if you've ever tried that.

Rims mounts are right up there with legless "floor" toms---and Mapex mounts are so simple it makes me wonder why anyone would want to add 5 pounds of hardware for little or no gain in resonance!

Rims mounts are right up there with legless "floor" toms---and Mapex mounts are so simple it makes me wonder why anyone would want to add 5 pounds of hardware for little or no gain in resonance!

My one rack tom has a rim mount. I like my kick mount, but the rim is just bulky and wobbly. So I took it off and bought a pearl snare stand with the floating tips and am much happier. Considering getting an atlas mount and painting it black to match my hardware.

I will never EVER buy a ridiculous tuning tool. No tension watch or torque key or disk that tunes all rods at once...
Part of my enjoyment comes from the personal touch when tuning. It is like being on an intimate level with your significant other, minus some benefits, then your real lover yells at you to quiet down!
Plus I just changed a snare head and tuned it to my preference all in under 5 minutes. Fiddling with fancy gadgets would slow me down.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but if you want to get your DW's sounding even better than they already do, take off those horrid rubber gaskets under the lugs. Especially on the smaller drums. It really makes an audible difference. I've been meaning to ask you if you've ever tried that.

Nice observation. Sometimes I forget that you're not the average low-browed brute, but somewhat above average ;). My kit is a '97 and came without rubber gaskets. Let 'em sing baby!

I would never own the Sonor "Earth" finish, to me it looks like a cross between camouflage and vomit.

Nice observation. Sometimes I forget that you're not the average low-browed brute, but somewhat above average ;). My kit is a '97 and came without rubber gaskets. Let 'em sing baby!

Oh you're good then. Learned something new too.

Back