I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I will NEVER buy / own_______, and here's why.

Anything with "professional" in the name / brand, because it just isn't.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I will NEVER buy / own_______, and here's why.

Anything with "professional" in the name / brand, because it just isn't.
You mean to say my Rockstar Pro kit isn't "pro" after all?

I rather like them..You mean the new one that is a stylized "M"..? What offends you about it? Remember..I don't like red drums for no reason, so it's OK!
All I know is that those Saturn 3 badges can be seen from outer space. That's all I'm saying about that.

retoxtony

I take solace in knowing that I my pettiness is not unique with regard to the awful Mapex badges and Pearl mounts.
I see this hate for Mapex badges a lot on here. I honestly don't really get it. I've always thought the silver badges on my older Saturns is nicer looking that what comes on lots of other drums. Is there any specific badges that are hated more than others?

I do agree about the crappy pearl mounts. Those things are terrible. My first kit was a Pearl forum set around 1991. I find it crazy that they still use basically the same mounts on their drums made today.

jginalbany

I see this hate for Mapex badges a lot on here. I honestly don't really get it. I've always thought the silver badges on my older Saturns is nicer looking that what comes on lots of other drums. Is there any specific badges that are hated more than others?
I thought the old Mapex badges on the Saturns and Orions were classy looking (though I'm probably in the minority on that).

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I think I'll have to add the Gretsch Motor City drums to the list. Somebody should tell all the people trying to sell them on Ebay that they really aren't collector's items.

Having said that, I'd still like to get my hands on a Renown Maple/silver sealer kit.

And on badges...........Anyone who does or doesn't buy a kit because of it's badge has rocks in their head. I can't think of ANYTHING that would be of lower priority when looking to buy a kit !!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I think I'll have to add the Gretsch Motor City drums to the list. Somebody should tell all the people trying to sell them on Ebay that they really aren't collector's items.

Having said that, I'd still like to get my hands on a Renown Maple/silver sealer kit.

And on badges...........Anyone who does or doesn't buy a kit because of it's badge has rocks in their head. I can't think of ANYTHING that would be of lower priority when looking to buy a kit !!
For me I explain, i'll never own Mapex, not because of the badge, it's a whole : the brand name sounds terrible in French, the drum company has no history (I say that, but I own a brand that has history but no "present" :)) - and most of their kits looks too "show off" for me : no basic colour, black hardware,... Still it sounds good and it's well built.
Of course this is stupid ! I may say I like a lot Ludwig or Gretsch : the names sound good, the badges are classy, and they've got a history.
Some may say they won't own a Hyundai because they can't even pronounce the brand name ;-)

This Topic is typically subjective, some like Red kits, some like fades and sparkles, some don't like natural colours, some like big/small, all that can't always been explain logically.

Last edited:

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I had been avoiding contributing here because I know my tastes will change and I try to avoid addressing my fancies with absolutes.

However I think I can say with some certainty that I will never own a Joyful noise drum, a DW kit or a Guru kit. I will add though that this would obviously change is I found a smoking deal somewhere. I don't care for the joyful Noise stuff because I see them as overpriced toys for hobbyists, I do collect but I like beaten down, vintage players drums for that old school tone. That being said, I am terrified to try one because I might fall in love and could never spend the money on

DW and Guru are just out of my price range and more that I am willing to spend on a kit. I almost scored a DW kit at a pawn shop once but it fell through. Not to single out these companies specifically, pretty much anything in the "Boutique" price range is just not for me. I offends my cheapness.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Ludwig Black Beauty or Supra. The hardware (strainer, lugs) is just awful IMO and the price tag way too high for them, based on built quality. I do have some alternatives at hand that are sonically on par, not much different, and way better in built quality, so I won't be tempted.

Pearl drums.... well, many people hate the mounting system, say it's ugly - and yes, it is ugly. Still I would not say "never" to Pearl though, because they are basically good drums. (and te mounts could e replaced, if you really cannot stand them). Mapex... well, the new logo is okay IMHO, but the company is just not "sexy" for me.

But back on topic: I will never own or buy (additions)

- a rack (ugly ugly ugly)
- an old vintage premier drumkit (fitting drumheads for models prior 1967 are very hard to find)
- carbon drumsticks (nonsense... I want wood)
- a double-bass drumkit or any other kind of monstrous drumset. Way too big and clumsy for me and I don't need to bassdrums for what I do. 1 up 1 down is all I need and want.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I used to think I would never own castanets, but lately I've been stomping my feet, and I really don't know what else to do with that long black dress of mine.

Bull

Gold Member
1.Any of the myriad of of extra dry/dark/unlathed cymbals that are popular these days.
2.A "stacker".
3. A piccolo snare,the scourge of the 90s.

G

Ghostnote

I will never buy a Craviotto kit because I would rather have a new Jetta.

jziegler319

I honestly can't think of anything! I just look back and think of what I would've said 5 years ago and now see that those things are my absolute favorites. I would've said dry cymbals and Sonor drums which are now my favs! I would've said white drums, and now I have a white drum kit. I would've said Zildjian cymbals (I was an idiot hipster drummer of sorts) and now I don't mind em at all. I don't like Paiste cymbals much at all right now but if I were to find a good deal....

Oh wait...nevermind, scrap everything I just said,
I'll never own yellow sparkle drums

crispycritters

A 20" deep bass drum. I don't fancy lugging one around, trying to fit one in my car, through a regular doorway without trapping my fingers. I prefer bass mounted toms - the depth would either require the mount to be in the centre of the drum for comfortable tom positioning. And .... every time I see one I think about Thomas the tank engine.

Last edited:

joeosuna

A 22x18 bass drum. Irrational.. I know... used one when I was first learning and I didn't like the way it sounded so I just decided that I won't use them.

Any kit that's more than 4 pieces. Anything thats 5 piece or more just seems like too much to me, but maybe that's because I'm uncoordinated.

14" Hi Hats. I love big hi hats.

STXBob

Gold Member
Mine is a fairly long list. I have a wide streak of not wanting to play brands that are "popular." ;-)

Top of the list, however, is vintage drums. Too big of a PITA to actually use; you have to work so hard to get an acceptable sound out of them - even if you're going for "vintage" sound - that I'd rather just buy a well-built modern drum designed to get that sound. I adore vintage LOOK stuff, though.

A Custom or cymbals of that ilk. You know, the really shiny ones that all the rock guys think are so awesome. Don't care for the sound.

The super dry cymbals like the unlathed, dirty old things that are so popular right now. If I want the sound of a trash-can lid, I'll save $400 and buy a g*ddamn trash-can lid.

Nylon tip sticks. Ew. Just...ew.