I love Elvin's playing (mods, please delete me)

A

Anthony Amodeo

I'm confused by your title and post

are you complaining about Elvins playing?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yeah, I do. He had a raw energy that worked brilliantly with Tran, McCoy and Jimmy G. He was always very in tune with the piano. I don't understand or care about the polyrhythm stuff he does - that's for him to know, I'm just a listener with no aspirations to play even remotely like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=carlCAIKrzA

cp84

im a brit. i'm not sure what thats supposed to mean.

i think he's one of the greatest drummers that has ever lived. i think his playing is inspirational.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
hmm, it seems this thread didn't really work out as expected. I love Elvin's playing, and constantly look to it for inspiration. My original post was meant to be sarcastic frustration at not being able to play like him, but I suppose it fell rather flat...

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Well, let's say I put up with him. I'm willing to go that far.

I don't what your Riley routines are, but Syncopation can replace just about everything when you know what to do with it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
hmm, it seems this thread didn't really work out as expected. I love Elvin's playing, and constantly look to it for inspiration. My original post was meant to be sarcastic frustration at not being able to play like him, but I suppose it fell rather flat...
I just thought you had some kind of madness that we'd not yet seen ... you never know with people on the net :)

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I do have a madness. It comes from listening to the likes of this man, and then listening back to recordings of myself. That's madness, I tell you!

brady

Platinum Member
I'll bite.

I'm not really a fan of Elvin. I mean, I get that he's an enormous talent but his playing just doesn't "do it" for me. It just seems too busy for my tastes. Do I wish I could play like him? Sure. Would I ever use it anywhere? Probably not.

I've never been asked by anyone to "play something Elvin-like" either. I think most folks appreciate a style easier to follow without getting too busy behind the kit. I suspect that his playing worked well only with the people he chose to play with.

Oh, and toddbishop had a good question... what are your Riley routines? I'd be interested to know.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I'll bite.

I'm not really a fan of Elvin. I mean, I get that he's an enormous talent but his playing just doesn't "do it" for me. It just seems too busy for my tastes. Do I wish I could play like him? Sure. Would I ever use it anywhere? Probably not.

I've never been asked by anyone to "play something Elvin-like" either. I think most folks appreciate a style easier to follow without getting too busy behind the kit. I suspect that his playing worked well only with the people he chose to play with.

Oh, and toddbishop had a good question... what are your Riley routines? I'd be interested to know.
what have you listened to one song with Elvin on it in your whole life?

this post is such an unbelievable exaggeration that im actually taken aback

Elvin was a master of touch, patience, dynamics, and time

tons of "over playing" here right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsvMf8X0FY

.....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life .

brady

Platinum Member
what have you listened to one song with Elvin on it in your whole life?

this post is such an unbelievable exaggeration that im actually taken aback

Elvin was a master of touch, patience, dynamics, and time

tons of "over playing" here right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsvMf8X0FY

.....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life .
Actually after a while, I do tire of hearing it. Like I said, I'm just not a fan. The second half of the song just wears on me. I have this record and have only played it a couple times.

Oh, and the ".....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life" was a douchy touch. You're all I've come to expect from NJ.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Actually after a while, I do tire of hearing it. Like I said, I'm just not a fan. The second half of the song just wears on me. I have this record and have only played it a couple times.

Oh, and the ".....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life" was a douchy touch. You're all I've come to expect from NJ.
nice use of the word "douchy" and props on the NJ comment

yr obviously a bright one

P

plangentmusic

Wow. Just...wow.

Elvin is one of the most original, organic, creative drummers to have ever lived. His role in Trane's group transcended music and ventures into something cosmic and spiritual. Every jazz drummer has been influenced by him.

If you can't appreciate Elvin there is a huge hole in your knowledge and understanding of jazz, of drumming and of music in general.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Wow. Just...wow.

Elvin is one of the most original, organic, creative drummers to have ever lived. His role in Trane's group transcended music and ventures into something cosmic and spiritual. Every jazz drummer has been influenced by him.

If you can't appreciate Elvin there is a huge hole in your knowledge and understanding of jazz, of drumming and of music in general.
could not agree more with words typed on a forum

brady

Platinum Member
Wow. Just...wow.

I never said I couldn't appreciate him. I admitted he is a tremendously talented drummer. His playing just doesn't excite me. There are plenty of other drummers in other genres that I can appreciate the talent of but don't necessarily have to be fans of.

Elvin's playing has just never got me excited to where I thought, "Oh, I must learn that lick." But I can appreciate the talent it takes to pull it off.