I just thought of something relevant ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
In an addendum to the "playing like Stevie Wonder" thread, I just thought of something that might be useful to our newer players that I learned when I was a kid. When I was playing in the school bands of my youth, the statement "Get to the next bar in time" was somehow drilled into my head. Meaning, when you got to the bar, get through it in time, mistakes and all. So if you were playing something particularly difficult in that bar, if you flubbed it up, then do that, but make sure you get to the next bar on time. Staying together with the group was deemed more important than actually playing your part correctly.

This phrase stuck with me through my lifetime and it has done me good on more than one occasion.

So if I apply this to drumming, basically, for us drummers, this means "get to the next BEAT on time" since we always deal in where the quarter note is. If you're playing a Stevie Wonder groove, or anybody's groove, for that matter, whatever notes you're playing on that particular beat, just get to the next beat in time. So if you can't do the Stevie Wonder swung hi-hat part quite in time, the most important thing will be where the snare drum is. So always pump out the 2 & 4 in the beat in time, rather than let your timing waiver because you're trying to play all the notes in the hi-hat part. Because after all, your job is to provide steady time for the band to play the music. I noticed that in a Stevie Wonder performance that he doesn't always play the swung hi-hat - depending on what it needs to feel like, he may just play straight 8ths on the hi hat to better propel the song. I tend to simplify my hi hats parts if the band seems to be lagging on their parts and state the time even moreso just so long as we stay in time and groove together as a group.

Of course, in the beginning, definitely slow down and work out how you want to play the parts. This is why practicing alone at home is so important. Work up your technique and get it together - this would be the most ideal thing. BUT - once you're playing it with the band, you are now listening to the band becoming another cog in the wheel to keep the whole thing rolling. You may discover that the band isn't keeping time very well and they'll need the help from you to state the time for the audience - at this point there's nothing wrong with laying down four-on-the-floor bass drum and 2 & 4 snare with a straight hi hat part. In fact, it's always a good starting point too because just the drum part isn't the only thing gluing everything together. The other musicians may be playing stuff that propels the song forward too - so you need to be sensitive to that. Don't get too upset if you didn't get to play the part as you practiced it at home - you're thing is to be the glue for the band, and lots of times the band determines how much glue is needed. Just so long as the song is played well and the audience is digging it, should be your barometer.

This reminds me of what Max Roach once said when he performed at one of those jazz/drum festivals. He said he and other luminary drummers were there to play and display their incredible chops, and at the end of the night, they brought out Gene Krupa whole proceeded to play "Sing Sing Sing" which was all just 8th notes - and the crowd went nuts. Max said that was a great lesson that night ;)

yep...recovery after mistakes is definitely an important thing

and from the marching world, we call that pulse thing "playing with your feet"...or driving your hands with your feet. It is the same thing where you organize everything in the pulse to be lined up with - and driven by - the pulse itself

Good advice.

Similarly (or maybe the same thing) I've learned that if a particular fill is giving me a hard time, I may skip it but I'll keep time or do a simpler fill so that I stay in time.

The perfectionist in me wants to nail every fill but it's just not always possible. Staying in time is the next best thing.

Last edited:
Yes, this is very important. Maybe the most important lesson. If you screw up, F it, move along. Don't screw the whole band up with your screw up. lol Hell, that even applies to concert musicians. One time I screwed up majorly (came in on the wrong bar, LMAO!), but, made my own instant rearrangement. lol. Musicians told me back stage, "Nice recovery, lol". I was mortified.

Good advice.

Similarly (or maybe the same thing) I've learned that if a particular fill is giving me a hard time, I may skip it but I'll keep time or do a simpler fill so that I stay in time.

The perfectionist in me want to nail every fill but it's just not always possible. Staying in time is the next best thing.
As a test I did one whole gig where I didn't play any fills (except for maybe a flourish at the end of a song) and as hard to believe as this sounds, I probably got more compliments on my playing (or the band sound in general) than I ever did before.

As a test I did one whole gig where I didn't play any fills (except for maybe a flourish at the end of a song) and as hard to believe as this sounds, I probably got more compliments on my playing (or the band sound in general) than I ever did before.

Also remember to practice to a metronome or click track. If you know where 1 is in the beat you will never be lost.

The most important thing will be where the snare drum is. So always pump out the 2 & 4 in the beat in time, rather than let your timing waiver because you're trying to play all the notes in the hi-hat part. Because after all, your job is to provide steady time for the band to play the music.
This!
It's called the "Money beat" for a reason. Keep good time & you're gold!

This reminds me of what Max Roach once said when he performed at one of those jazz/drum festivals. He said he and other luminary drummers were there to play and display their incredible chops, and at the end of the night, they brought out Gene Krupa whole proceeded to play "Sing Sing Sing" which was all just 8th notes - and the crowd went nuts. Max said that was a great lesson that night ;)
I remember watching a really good band, back when I was in high school, and when it came to the drummer's solo, he did some really nice stuff. But the only time the crowd went crazy was when he just started quickly hitting his crashes with both hands, alternating, over and over. The complex stuff got no reaction, but the kind of thing anyone could do about 5 minutes after picking up a pair of sticks? That went over huge. Stuck with me.

And yet so many ignore this or think this rule does not apply to them. I say you have to be fired enough to learn this lesson 😉
Busy drummer here, never got fired so I guess I never learned that lesson. 😀

Busy drummer here, never got fired so I guess I never learned that lesson. 😀
Like my Liberty DeVitto signature line says, "You're never fired, you're just not asked to do the next thing".
I can say I've not been asked to "do the next thing" a couple times & luckily I knew why.

Back