How do you find contemporary music you like?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
It's kind of strange, but it seems really difficult to find music that I like these days. Strange because there is more music and more ways to access it than ever, yet difficult because the charts and commercial outlets just aren't carrying it. So, you have to hunt around. I'm partial to dance oriented music that is more or less clean. Nursery rhyme bangers as they are. There are a couple meme songs, Baby Shark, What Does the Fox Say etc. That Pharrell song Happy is good...

I mean my gosh it's a big world, but mostly devoid of content to speak of.

You used to be able to look up meme songs, but anymore the big names post their songs on YouTube then claim they memes(no Drake songs aren't meme worthy.).

I'm sure there's lots of good stuff out there but everything I hear these days is cliched and recycled from something that has been done before. Same old riffs and rhythms, just arranged (slightly) differently.

I listen to either my vinyl collection or to electronic chill/lounge style music these days. Hardly ever listen to contemporary guitar/drums/bass/vocal bands anymore due to the aforementioned 'heard it all before' sentiment. The lounge stuff is strictly trippy/relaxing background music. I don't listen to it actively. That's what LPs are for.

All my new to me contemporary music comes from either my 25 year old daughter or my 40 year old duo partner/best buddy (I’m 52 but act 72). They are both WAYYYY more open-minded about music than me, yet they both know my musical comfort zone. They frequently make recommendations that I end up loving.

Either YouTube Music or Sirius XM. They both provide ways of hearing music I probably otherwise wouldn't hear.

'heard it all before' sentiment

With some reflection, this is definately a sore spot for me...

With all respect, I just can't relate to this outlook. From my view anyway, there's TONS of great new music being made out there to find. Granted, it's not on the FM radio. I grew up in the 70's listening to some of the most fantastic music that still resonates with youngsters of today. And, make no mistake, I love this stuff. But, to be stuck in the musical era of "back in my day" is far too stale for me.

"everything I hear these days is cliched and recycled from something that has been done before." SO NOT true. One of the trends of recent decades that I simply love is the blending (or blurring) of genre's - things that were just not done before. Country blending with rock and pop and becoming likely the most popular genre currently. What rocker (me) would have thought this even remotely likely in the 70's? My "rock" cover band is constantly looking for newer well-known (enough) songs to add our catalog and it's difficult. But ironically, look to "country" and there's tons of new material coming out yearly that is super popular and everyone knows. Strange. Nashville venues in neighborhoods (not on Broadway) are stuffed with young people singing country blended with all kinds of genres. As an old guy from the youthful 70's rock era (I'm 63), who would have thought Country would see the current level of popularity? More genre examples: soul mixed with rock & pop, stoner rock as good as the old stuff. Latin flavor mixed into rock, country, etc. Rage Against The Machine: They're from the 90's & 00's and definately hard rock, but who could say they were a re-tread of earlier rock sounds? I could go on and on, but post would be too long. I've always had very eclectic music tastes - this has probably been a big part of my outlook.

To answer the OP's question, there's plenty of avenues to find music you like. To name them: You just have to put in a little effort. Share new finds with your music friends. I have several that I do this with. We trade links to bands all the time. I don't love it all but I get a lot of cool new stuff sent my way. Second, start with the "What Are You Listening To Right Now" thread on DW and click & listen. Shout out to "Elvis", an eclectic poster there that I always pay attention to! ;) Try iTunes algoryhtyms or top hits of recent decades. Or, Spotify. Poke around YouTube and their recommendations based on other stuff you like. Just put in a little effort is all it takes.

Here's some happy hunting (all over the place style/genre-wise):
All Them Witches (stoner rock with flavors of Pink Floyd, Black Sabboth, Zep - BUT definately not "copying" them)
The Paper Kites, check out Roadhouse album (smooth, mellow rock, fantastic singing, very finessed playing)
Alabama Shakes Boys & Girls album, soul influenced rock.
Alt-J, pop rock. Good luck defining what this is but it's very different and, I think, very cool.
Bill Callahan, Apocalypse album. Fantastic baratone voice. Mellow rockers. I heard this in a movie and looked it up.
Dirty Honey - OK, this indeed borrow from 70's rock. But they kill it.
Black Pumas, soul/rock
Caamp, alt country/rock, banjo. Flavors of Wilco, also a more recent genre-blending band.
Charley Crockett - check out "In The Night" Country/soul/rock
Earthless, punk stoner rock
Trombone Shorty, rock & roll with brass. Live shows are a case study in putting on energetic fun shows.
Goose, jam band
John Butler Trio, aboriginal influenced rock (from down under)
Mutemath, modern, punk/alt rock
Sturgill Simpson, rockin' country.
Tedeschi Trucks Band - in the flavor of Allman Brothers, etc. but new and one of the best musicianship live bands out there.
The War On Drugs, rock
Whiskey Meyers, southern rock/country
The Cadillac Three, southern rock/country

Lookining for new stuff all the time. Finding it and enjoying the musical journey.

I'll stop...

Last edited:
All my new to me contemporary music comes from either my 25 year old daughter or my 40 year old duo partner/best buddy (I’m 52 but act 72). They are both WAYYYY more open-minded about music than me, yet they both know my musical comfort zone. They frequently make recommendations that I end up loving.

THIS!!! Amen!

Lately I’ve been getting great new music suggestions from a friend of mine. Some of his recommendations were Nate Smith and Lettuce. Those recommendations led me to discover the Fearless Flyers and seeing Adam Deitch live.

Sometimes I’ll stumble upon someone. I had seen Chris Potter at a jazz festival performance a couple summers ago where he was playing with Christian McBride. But because it was outside and extremely crowded, I wasn’t really able to hear or see much. When I saw that he was playing at the Vanhuard, I got tickets and took my 20 year old son late last year. Potter proceeded to knock me for a loop. He blew me away to the point where I was comparing him to Brecker.

I've taught my daughters the roots of the music they grew up liking came from. In return they always tip me off to new artists they think I will enjoy.

But I'm fortunate enough to have a great friend who has the most extensive music collection of anyone I personally know. For the past 25 years he has introduced me to a vast array of artists I likely never would have heard of. He also attends more concerts and live performances than anyone else I know. We try to go to as many concerts together as my schedule--and budget--permits.

I have friends with good taste. Most of them play jazz, so they listen to jazz, and recommend good jazz.

Moses Yoofee comes to mind as a recent recommendation.

Sometimes the Spotify radio of an album I enjoy can lead to some cool finds. Jellyfish's Spilt Milk led to a cool power pop day.

Sometimes I just go to shows in town because I'm bored, and sometimes those bands are really good! OK Goodnight was one of those nights. Phenomenal!

With some reflection, this is definately a sore spot for me...

With all respect, I just can't relate to this outlook. From my view anyway, there's TONS of great new music being made out there to find. Granted, it's not on the FM radio. I grew up in the 70's listening to some of the most fantastic music that still resonates with youngsters of today. And, make no mistake, I love this stuff. But, to be stuck in the musical era of "back in my day" is far too stale for me.

"everything I hear these days is cliched and recycled from something that has been done before." SO NOT true. One of the trends of recent decades that I simply love is the blending (or blurring) of genre's - things that were just not done before. Country blending with rock and pop and becoming likely the most popular genre currently.
Oh, I hear the new stuff too, including the country/rock blend but I find the latter to be among the most cliched of all. It's practically a running joke these days.

Just like Greta Van Fleet sounds like Led Zeppelin, every other modern band sounds a lot like someone else who came before The chords, riffs and hooks have all been done. They're just arranged differently. It's well done, and people enjoy it immensely, but it isn't particularly fresh or ground-breaking.

Not trying to be a downer or change anybody's mind, just relating my perception.

I also do not like Greta Van Screech for the same reason. That's the prime example of virtually copying old stuff. Very, very Zeppelin retread. But I think they are the (bad) exception. Check out some of my list and see what you think.

But I'm fortunate enough to have a great friend who has the most extensive music collection of anyone I personally know. For the past 25 years he has introduced me to a vast array of artists I likely never would have heard of. He also attends more concerts and live performances than anyone else I know.
I am lucky enough to have one of these friends too. Love picking through the stuff he sends me.

including the country/rock blend but I find the latter to be among the most cliched of all. It's practically a running joke these days.
Perhaps just a little bit true. But swiping such a wide chunk out of the music spectrum like that leaves a LOT of great stuff of the table for you. Your loss & choice I guess. But Wilco is not "Bro Country". Neither is Charlie Crockett, who is also nothing like Wilco. And then there's Leon Bridges (see River Austin City Limits or Bad Bad News). All three of those have country influences but are wildly different.

You can make cliche generalizations about pretty much all genres if you want. But what good is that?

My whole life has been a journey to discover music. I evolve and so does how I find new music.
I long ago quit listening to radio for music because I realized the music funneled to me through radio stations was ver limiting.
In the recent decade, Pandora has been my key to finding other stuff similar to the music I enjoy.
I‘lol reiterate ottog1979 statement, you have to put effort into your own challenge.

It’s taken awhile, but I’ve developed this knack to consciously or maybe unconsciously always have an open ear. Watching a movie or TV series or ad commercial for a piece of music that triggers me to focus on that typically small snippet of sound. I always have Shazam or SoundHound readily available to find the song that pricked up my ears. They do a pretty good job. Then I immediately email myself the artist/song and explore it a little bit later.

It makes me happy finding the proverbial needle in the haystack, so I enjoy this process of The Hunt.

I play Apple Music constantly while I work. I select one of the "radio channels" and hit PLAY. If I hear something I like, I download the album (if available).

This past week I selected Classic Country and, much to my surprise, really enjoy the old, classic country music. Currently, George Strait is filling up my library.

For new music, I've been listening/downloading EDM that has mellow tones/sounds. This material is great when I'm working on a computer all day.

For new music, I've been listening/downloading EDM that has mellow tones/sounds. This material is great when I'm working on a computer all day.
I’m similar, when I need to concentrate on work or a project I dial in Trip Hop (chill out) on Pandora.

I follow a bunch of smart and curious musicians on my social media, they recommend a wide range of styles. There’s amazing new music happening all around the world.

Where there’s stagnation and retreads is corporate radio and tv. Corpo media buyers are awful cowards, they only pay for product that sounds familiar. That’s why everything on a typical broadcast channel sounds derivative.

As far as OP’s “meme music”, I’m sorry but I wouldn’t ask for that kind of thing out loud unless I was also studying martial arts, boxing, or at least track running.

My immediate response is Bandcamp. There is so much music on Bandcamp in about every genre. The music ranges from awesome to awful. Over the years I have purchased over 500 albums on Bandcamp.

SiriusXM has also introduced me to a lot of new music. In particular, the BB King's Bluesville channel has cost me a lot of money buying CD's by artists I had never heard before.

I don't really look for new music. I always have the radio on, wherever I am.
When I hear a new song I like, I'll look them up and check out more of them.

The benefit of webbased radio is there are litterally hundreds (if not thousands) channels with a lot dedicated to a specific genre or type of music.

Back