Homemade Clamp

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I have a Pearl hi hat stand that can not be modified to rotate. I want to use my double pedal with it because I like it better than my other 2 hi hat stands. I dont have a clamp available to attach it to a secondary tripod, so I decided to make one:
20220905_112237.jpg

In use:
20220905_164500.jpg

I had a long stick of 3/4" ply, about 1 3/8" wide. I believe it is Finnish birch. The long piece is 8". The two clamp parts are 3". I used a table saw to make the 45° cuts, then used a chisel. The openings are 1/2" wide in total and about 3/4" long.

I had to buy the nuts, bolts, and washers. I got them at Lowes. It was $3.86 before tax.

I would not use this to hang a tom arm, cymbal arm, or anything heavy. A small arm for a cowbell et al, maybe. For what I used it for, absolutely.

Last time I made a beater. This time I made a clamp. No idea what I will make next time. Had no idea this time either. I woke up today wanting to do this.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
You made a 100% functional stick holder. That's a win.
Well I suppose, though it was far from ideal. That fliptop lid leaves a sharp ring inside that can get you if you’re not careful. Finally bought one that Vater made.

But we should be more focused on your McGyvering today, not mine. I have no idea what you did, but you done good and it looks pretty pro, though if were me I’d spray it black.

ToneT

Silver Member
I have a Pearl hi hat stand that can not be modified to rotate. I want to use my double pedal with it because I like it better than my other 2 hi hat stands. I dont have a clamp available to attach it to a secondary tripod, so I decided to make one:
View attachment 123963

In use:
View attachment 123964

I had a long stick of 3/4" ply, about 1 3/8" wide. I believe it is Finnish birch. The long piece is 8". The two clamp parts are 3". I used a table saw to make the 45° cuts, then used a chisel. The openings are 1/2" wide in total and about 3/4" long.

I had to buy the nuts, bolts, and washers. I got them at Lowes. It was $3.86 before tax.

I would not use this to hang a tom arm, cymbal arm, or anything heavy. A small arm for a cowbell et al, maybe. For what I used it for, absolutely.

Last time I made a beater. This time I made a clamp. No idea what I will make next time. Had no idea this time either. I woke up today wanting to do this.
That's very crafty!
Can you stain it to match the set?