Hi Hat stand sliding

Kenny202

Got a tile floor at home and after positioning my stand (right next to me) it works its way forward. Cant put a rug under the kit where it is and it is a good / new Yamaha stand with good rubber on the legs. There is nothing I can anchor the stand to nor do I have anywhere I can tie it off to. Any of you guys have a solution.

Best thing to do, if you can't put a rug under it, is to figure out some form of clamping that connects the hi-hat stand to something that won't move. At one point I used a vintage clamp to stabilize a wobbly 2-leg hi-hat. Nowadays people use rack parts or multi-clamps to do the same thing.

If your e-kit is on a rack, get an extra tube, a clamp to connect it to your rack, and a component clamp to connect your hi-hat stand to the rack. That way it will be solid with the rest of the kit. If it's on stands, a 12.7mm rod and two multi-clamps can stabilize it to the nearest stand.

Tried it, very small foot print light e kit. The whole lot slides then. Was hoping for another solution
The kit slides on the rug or the rug itself slides on the floor?

If it's the rug sliding on the floor, you might try one of those anti skid mats. Lots of options on Amazon.

Here's an old school solution from the film industry. I'd recommend getting a Matthews Studio Equipment 15 pound BOA Senior Steel Shot filled bag (top image). Wrap it like a snake (hence the name BOA) around the center column of your hi-hat and see if it stays put. If you need a bit more weight I'd recommend adding one traditional "pony express bag" style MSE 15 pound Steel Shot filled bag (lower image) over one of the opposing hi-hat legs. If in the long shot you need any more weight get another 15 pound MSE traditional shot bag on the second opposing hi-hat leg. But start first just with the BOA bag wrapped around the center shaft.

You can buy empty sand bag sacks and fill them with sand yourself as an alternative. There's two disadvantages to this: 1) they are typically made for 25 or 30 pounds of sand (although you can always put less sand in them) and 2) they are prone to breaking open and spilling sand everywhere.

The reason I like the MSE BOA Bags is they come in 5 pound, 10 pound and 15 pound weights which are easy to move around, at least much easier than 25 or 30 pound bags. The MSE traditional style steel shot bags are also 15 pounds.

I personally think a 15-pound BOA Senior Bag should be enough to keep your hi-hat stand in place (depending on how slick your tile floor is). I use both styles of these bags to hold mic stands, gobos and acoustic panels in place in my home studio.

If you watch enough YouTube and old concert films you'll see them being used in both studios and live venues as a simple but effective solution to "slip slidin' away."

BOA_Sr_Bag.jpg

MSE_ShotBag.jpg

Last edited:
Tie one end of a cargo strap to your throne and under your hi hat stand pedal securing it to the stand. Lay it flat on the floor they're a few inches wide.

Or you could also try rope to hold the legs to your throne.

Doug's is a more elegant and easier solution than my Redneck idea!

Last edited:
In the eighties I played in a church with tile floor and I put double back tape under the feet seem to work real good. I was playing very softly though.

Tried it, very small foot print light e kit. The whole lot slides then. Was hoping for another solution
Put the carpet back down, do this, but put the screws in from the bottom:
20220704_214746.jpg
My hat stand is old and also slides. The carpet is old and needs replacing. This was a nice solution. You can put blocks to stop all the feet if necessary.

Reactions: TMe
I am going to have the same issue gigging if I play on a tile floor (highly likely) and I don't want to be carrying a 5' roll of carpet around with me. I just had a look at my set up, and it is the hi hat only thing moving around. I reckon a carry strap around the bottom of the throne stand adjusted up should work perfectly :) Thanks for all the ideas guys, much appreciated

Rubbermaid Shelf Liner. Put 2 or layers of thickness down under each foot and the heel plate. It shouldn't slide anymore!

The rug should extend under your drum stool. Then your body weight will stop it sliding away.

Otherwise, get black rubber safety mat. Just not a super thick one.

Tie it to your drum stool (the bottom of the pedal to the foot of the drum stool so the rope isn't in your way)?

When your kit is on the rug are the legs of your chair also on the rug? Your body weight should keep it in place. Or maybe two legs on the carpet and one on your tile floor

...I don't want to be carrying a 5' roll of carpet around with me.
I've been trying to figure this out. I think I'm going to use two thin rubber mats, 18" or 24" wide, with 1"x2" blocks attached. One will stop the kick drum from wandering, the other will stop the hats from wandering, and they'll overlap under my drum throne. Then all I have to carry is a small roll, instead of a full drum rug. Sound like a plan?

I tend to put the "kick" in kick drum (and hats) so my pedals drift forward a lot, even though I'm not hitting all that hard.

I'd recommend getting a Matthews Studio Equipment 15 pound BOA Senior Steel Shot filled bag...
Now that I think about it, the weights are probably the answer for me.

As part of the opening act, I'm usually playing someone else's kit at shows. It would be a lot easier to drop a few weights in front of the kick and hats than fuss around with mats. I hate the idea of carrying the extra weight, but it's probably worth it.

Now that I think about it, the weights are probably the answer for me.

As part of the opening act, I'm usually playing someone else's kit at shows. It would be a lot easier to drop a few weights in front of the kick and hats than fuss around with mats. I hate the idea of carrying the extra weight, but it's probably worth it.
Don't be afraid to experiment with the options available to you. Once you find out what works for you it is clearly the best way to go.

I bought a 3'x4' black entryway rug from Home Depot for $20. The bottom is rubber, with carpeting on top. Enough of the kit is on the rug so nothing walks away. Easiest solution. It lives in my truck whenever I'm out gigging because you never know what the venue will be like.

Same. Except mine is 4' x 6'. I leave it tucked in the back of my car, rolled up tight and secured with velcro.

Back