Here we (don't) go again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way back in January, my band took a decision not to book anything indoors until 2022, then assess the position again. We concentrated on trying to retain our outdoor bookings, & just be thankful for anything that worked out.

Our first official indoor booking is May of next year, & it's a big one. Our hope is that progress to that point allows it to go ahead, or more accurately, allows us to feel sufficiently confident to perform. The flip side, partly due to pushing this year's cancellations into next year, & partly because we concentrated on securing outdoor bookings, our 2022 calendar is looking very strong.

All up, we only managed to salvage 4 viable festival gigs this season. A further 6 were postponed & reconfirmed for next year, plus 5 cancelled awaiting notification.

Just preparing to haul out to a great festival today, & that feels soooo good :)

1918graph_m.jpg

“The Spanish flu disproportionally targeted the healthiest members of society. The infections spread over three waves, the first of which took place during the spring of 1918 and was the mildest. The following fall, the second wave hit hard just as Americans were expressing frustration over the social distancing rules that had been put into place. Many of them protested the public health measures, such as mandatory masks, stay-at-home orders and business closures. This second wave was the most severe and killed nearly 200,000 Americans in October 1918 alone. The third and final wave began in early 1919 and ran through spring, resulting in even more illness and death. This flu ultimately caused more deaths worldwide than the total number of soldiers and civilians, combined, killed during World War I.”

There will be annual cycles to COVID-19 as well. Maybe five or six or twenty years because it‘s a GMO. And if it keeps mutating then politicians will use that fear against people for their own best interests. The science has been mutilated by social media and corporate media (NBC, CBS, etc. Advertisers pay them to persuade). True research and results is difficult to find.

I recently found one site made by scientists who claim to be independent of political and financial persuasion. Some good info, IMO:

Edit: The lead Chinese research scientist just added her voice to the mix:

Please be aware of the source of this article. Bias & propaganda are used throughout the Chinese media.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that no one knows what happened to Spanish flu. Remember at that time most people died of secondary bacterial infections because no antibiotics or vaccine or any pharmaceutical treatment. It was social distancing, hygiene and mask was options and given it was a global pandemic with multiple waves you would be hard pressed to demonstrate they did much to allay the spread or return. No one knows what happened to virus? Did it spread through whole population and kill vulnerable and rest immune or more likely scientist believe the virus persisted but became less deadly- evolutionarily it behooves a virus to be better at infecting a host but counterproductive to kill a host. It’s an evolutionary dead end. The first SARS pandemic just ended with no new cases except a number from lab exposure or infected animal contact. Where did that virus go since it also infected other animal species besides just humans - as does SARS-Cov-2. These zoonotic viruses that infect man generally never go away - only one has been eradicated and that is small pox after decades of vaccinations and efforts.

Last edited:
I'm on the board of a local non-profit venue-- 300 seats, small town, mostly older clientele in rural Central New York. Our shows don't always sell out but they usually come close. But we tried starting up our shows again for this weekend and sold 8-- yes, eight-- advance tickets. I'm sure it wasn't the artist, either-- it's the fact that older folks are freaked out by this. We'd decided on a policy that permitted anyone to attend, but I think maybe everyone really WANTS the venue to limit attendance to vaccinated people. And we're in one of the counties that still has pretty good numbers. Makes me sick to think we've scheduled a ton of events that may not happen. Again.

As for me as a musician, I've been rehearsing and recording two new all-original bands. Stuff is really coming together and sounding great. The idea of things closing down just as we're getting ready to go out and play in front of people is terribly discouraging. I REALLY don't want to go back to the days of remote recordings and all that.

I haven't seen the hammer drop in my area, but I fear it could happen soon. Post covid, things really boomed back in my region, and I'm afraid we are going to screech to another halt.

You’ll never find any peer-reviewed scientific paper stating the planet earth is prepared for these deadly zoonotic pathogens that an epidemic can so easily become a pandemic because we are now jet setting global travelers. No geographical isolation to be had - records across globe find archaeological evidence of deadly epidemics that didn’t travel to far. Even the Spanish flu likely originated in France I think but the name stuck. We all carry viruses all the time and most seem benign and we know little about. Like all humans carry alleloviruses but it’s transmitted through feces- so if a virus can infect all humanity via feces then airborne seems like a slam dunk advantage for success and more difficult to counter. Our success in migrating out of Africa has been driven by changes in our immunity ( most genes affected). Interestingly the evolution of placental mammals is suspected to have been driven from incorporated viral elements from past infections. Plenty of respiratory viruses like influenza, coronaviruses, RSV, PAR , etc could be next problem . I think we need to learn to live with them better because they seem inescapable and by the time a new mutant takes hold in one place it’s already has spread globally. I think there is a growing demand for more broad spectrum vaccines to a class/ group of viruses against their shared highly conserved domains rather than unique areas prone to mutation. This has been a dream for influenza but coronaviruses the same would apply. A Pan- influenza or Pan- coronavirus would attack all subgroups of flu ot coronaviruses.

It’s interesting that no one knows what happened to Spanish flu. Remember at that time most people died of secondary bacterial infections because no antibiotics or vaccine or any pharmaceutical treatment. It was social distancing, hygiene and mask was options and given it was a global pandemic with multiple waves you would be hard pressed to demonstrate they did much to allay the spread or return. No one knows what happened to virus? Did it spread through whole population and kill vulnerable and rest immune or more likely scientist believe the virus persisted but became less deadly- evolutionarily it behooves a virus to be better at infecting a host but counterproductive to kill a host. It’s an evolutionary dead end. The first SARS pandemic just ended with no new cases except a number from lab exposure or infected animal contact. Where did that virus go since it also infected other animal species besides just humans - as does SARS-Cov-2. These zoonotic viruses that infect man generally never go away - only one has been eradicated and that is small pox after decades of vaccinations and efforts.

According to scientists the Spanish Flu (or American Flu) strain mutated into the seasonal flu, so it’s never really gone away.

Got to admit, slightly nervous about how things will be when winter comes.

I don’t think this thing is going away any time soon.

Fingers crossed my worries are unfounded.

Was 'normality' never a word over there in the colonies?
Edit: Oops - you're Norwegian aren't you?
Colonial Yank at your service. Both normality and normalcy are used in the States. For the most part, they're treated as interchangeable terms, though persnickety linguists might charge that subtle distinctions exist. I think normality preceded normalcy in the chain of diction development, but I'd need to research that claim to be sure.

Colonial Yank at your service. Both normality and normalcy are used in the States. For the most part, they're treated as interchangeable terms, though persnickety linguists might charge that subtle distinctions exist. I think normality preceded normalcy in the chain of diction development, but I'd need to research that claim to be sure.
We change what words mean or how we say them so often over here its ridiculous. The latest one I've noticed: repeat. I keep hearing it referring to wearing clothing again; "I put that shirt on repeat". What? Using it as a verb insinuates that the shirt plays a video or song, does it not?

We change what words mean or how we say them so often over here its ridiculous. The latest one I've noticed: repeat. I keep hearing it referring to wearing clothing again; "I put that shirt on repeat". What? Using it as a verb insinuates that the shirt plays a video or song, does it not?
The immensity of the English language is a blessing and a curse. We can never exhaust its vocabulary, particularly in the synonym department, but its myriad phraseologies -- and their associated ambiguities -- make it sorely difficult for newcomers to the tongue to decipher what the hell we're talking about.

I think there is a growing demand for more broad spectrum vaccines to a class/ group of viruses against their shared highly conserved domains rather than unique areas prone to mutation. This has been a dream for influenza but coronaviruses the same would apply. A Pan- influenza or Pan- coronavirus would attack all subgroups of flu ot coronaviruses.
I know of someone in the San Francisco Bay Area working on just that. Using the Covid vaccine model they are working to create a vaccine that targets all viruses. I don’t know more than that, and I’m no epidemiologist anyway, but it’s nice to think that some long term good could come from this pandemic.

"If anything, all of this has taught me that I can stay home and entertain myself." Folks have reoriented their leisure activities. Such changes might be permanent.
That's a really good point. Unfortunately, I guess I'm part of the problem since I discovered how much I can save by not eating or going out. But then I spend all that money I saved on cymbals so I guess it all balances out.

Music is Evil.. face it . our parents told us so..and now after all that unprotected sex I have to wear a condom on my face..

I reckoned that 2021 would be like 2020.

I can't believe things were opening up so soon....too early IMO. Too irresponsible.
Agree, we are still under emergency state in Canada and while restaurant are opening with inky 25% of their capacity, not a single venues or concert hall or whatever can open...in fact, anything that was operating with people close to each other is still closed.

Agree, we are still under emergency state in Canada and while restaurant are opening with inky 25% of their capacity, not a single venues or concert hall or whatever can open...in fact, anything that was operating with people close to each other is still closed.

I've got tix for Genesis at Toronto’s Scotiabank arena for November. We’ll see if it will go ahead but I’m not holding my breath at this point.

I was informed yesterday that one of the municipal gigs we have in September may be cancelled due to Covid. It's a "most likely, but possibly not. Let's wait and see" type situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back