Here’s a funny thing about teaching...

I think that, as in any form of art, or maybe anything in life really, it's essential to first learn the rules. Then learn how to break them. So the teaching part is just a starting point. It is by no means exhaustive. It is just one way to do it. If Peart taught people how to play Peart, or Bonham how to play Bonham, just the thought of it makes me yawn.

Unless it's very specific. "Teach me a double-stroke roll", I think there you can authoritatively tell someone dude this is how it's done.

Last edited:
I think that, as in any form of art, or maybe anything in life really, it's essential to first learn the rules. Then learn how to break them. So the teaching part is just a starting point. It is by no means exhaustive. It is just one way to do it. If Peart taught people how to play Peart, or Bonham how to play Bonham, just the thought of it makes me yawn.

Unless it's very specific. "Teach me a double-stroke roll", I think there you can authoritatively tell someone dude this is how it's done.
You have to wonder what Peart was taught and how much of that he applied to his writing.

When I was younger (and not knowing as much as I do now), I always liked to teach others how to play. It seemed I always had something to say about “learning how to play the drums”. Now that I’m older, and I know enough to know what I don’t know, I couldn’t be less interested in teaching anybody. I feel unqualified to be a teacher these days. Well, maybe I tell people “play less” more these days. Maybe the YouTube stars have raised the bar too high for the lowly local teachers who just teach basics 😉

Anybody here discover the same? Or is it just me?
I agree that as I have learned more, the more i know i don't know.

I would sell myself as a drum coach...but I don't think I would sell myself as a teacher able to prep someone for college.

Stuff/school/music teaching works really differently here compared to the murica btw.

I like teaching and I currently study to become a drum/percussion teacher, I've done 2,5 of 5 years. I've always had it in the back of my mind and I was fortunate enough to get a teaching gig before I started at the music teacher program and I liked it verry much.

What corps did you March Bo? And what years?
I did the re-constituted Anaheim Kingsmen in 1982 did the full tour to Montreal that summer. Then tried to stay with the snare line in the Velvet Knights in 1983 but just got a car that year and started gigging looking forward to college so I didn’t stay. But I learned enough to teach HS drum lines until I grew out of that in 1986 - which is when I got picked up by Disney.

Last edited:
I did the re-constituted Anaheim Kingsmen in 1982 did the full tour to Montreal that summer. Then tried to stay with the snare line in the Velvet Knights in 1983 but just got a car that year and started gigging looking forward to college so I didn’t stay. But I learned enough to teach HS drum lines until I grew out of that in 1986 - which is when I got picked up by Disney.

2 Cool VK!!!!

I wanted to stay and I think they dug having a really short guy at the edge of snare line, but the urge to earn my way as a drummer overcame me and I started working instead. I think I would’ve gotten much better at playing right-handed rudiments had I stayed 😬
was Matt Savage teching the line that year?

I regret bot doing drum corps the year I made it. I would have been a rook-out. Made the tenor line, one off center, but let "things" talk me out of it. worst decision ever. The line won drums that year (1989) in Div 2

It's funny these days, I've bought lesson books (in soccer) basically a list of YouTube topics to search. There are plenty of videos, just putting it together and prioritizing it is a challenge.

Though, I agree with the sentiment. The other day, my sister was like you could be a mentor, and I said something to the effect of "Been there done that, it was meh." That is the big argument for in person office work these days, mentorship. Mentorship was always sort of a dubious concept anyway. They want you to be like a supervisor but with no supervisory benefits, so that the accountant's son can gain your experience, and take any advancement opportunities. I did that had a junior colleague trained up just have her go off and make more money than me at a company that wouldn't hire me.

It's funny these days, I've bought lesson books (in soccer) basically a list of YouTube topics to search. There are plenty of videos, just putting it together and prioritizing it is a challenge.

Though, I agree with the sentiment. The other day, my sister was like you could be a mentor, and I said something to the effect of "Been there done that, it was meh." That is the big argument for in person office work these days, mentorship. Mentorship was always sort of a dubious concept anyway. They want you to be like a supervisor but with no supervisory benefits, so that the accountant's son can gain your experience, and take any advancement opportunities. I did that had a junior colleague trained up just have her go off and make more money than me at a company that wouldn't hire me.
I don’t disagree with that. It sucks but that’s how I see it.

Back